The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

In all fairness though, I feel really sorry for the associate teams. Look at Kenya in the World Cup in 2003. They come joint third, and what does the ICC do with them after this fantastic achievement?

"Well, that's it for now. See you in 4 years, lads".

It's horribly insular and Cricket will never grow as it should unless this changes. Even if the minnows get success the ICC won't get behind them. It's a lot like when Argentina came 3rd in the 2007 Rugby World Cup. Instead of fast tracking them into the Tri Nations, they've only just got around to it now costing vital years of continuing development playing wigth some kind of regularity against top teams.

And look at Kenya now. They're shit, when really they shouldn't be. Okay they were an ageing side in '03, but with a proper development programme the likes of Tikolo, the Obuya brothers and the Sujis would have been replaced, but they weren't and Kenyan cricket went in to meltdown.

The whole thing leaves you with the wrong situation of at least two associate teams in Ireland and Afghanistan in all probability better than two of the test match teams in Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. Bangladesh are no better than when they were first given test status more than a decade ago, and Zimbabwe are failing at another major tournament with pretty much the same squad they've had since their 'golden generation' packed it in.

Admittedly Ireland won't get test match status anytime soon after what has happened with Bangladesh and their lack of a domestic first-class structure, but there is something more than a little wrong with Joyce, Morgan and now Rankin attempting to make the England team cos its their only hope of playing test match cricket.

Easy option is the winner of the Intercontinental Cup plays whoever is bottom of the test rankings at the end of that cycle, and if they beat them then they take their spot and the process is repeated every two years. But that's common sense, and the ICC don't do that.

Oh yeah I know it's not the teams fault that they are so far behind, tournaments like this can be depressing to watch when you don't get a shock. It would be nice if a 'World Cup' brought together teams that don't always play each other and there were plenty of competitive matches. Instead we get the same 8, who while very entertaining to watch don't make it feel what it should be.

God knows why they have put all the David vs Goliath matches first up rather than mixing it up with the box office matches, it sets the asscoiate sides apart. Also having the Super 8's laid out must be a kick in the balls for the other 4 teams.

Despite Morgan's efforts today think England are being found wanting a bit so far in this and with a young team they just don't look strong enough at this point.

For me the biggest area we are lacking is in the top three. You look at the names in the other teams and virtually every one has 1, 2 or 3 world class players in the top 3. Warner, Watson, McCullum, Jayawardene, Sangakkara, Dlishan, Amla, Kallis, Sehwag, Gambir and Gayle are some of the best players in the world and indeed ever in some cases and all bat in the top 3. Pakistan is the team I've not mentioned but they happen to have 3 of the highest wicket takers in T20 with Ajmal, Afridi and Gul. I think Kieswetter has outstayed his welcome for some time personally, especially with Prior in the wings. Looks fantastic when he comes off but does it too rarely. Hales has been solid and Wright looks better than he was but neither are in the league of the aforementioned top 3 players. Of course we all know where England's world class player who plays in the top 3 is.....

Edited by Baz Windham

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I presumed that picking Bresnan was more to do with Flower's obsession with having batting right the way down to 10 or 11, but you are right, he hasn't been fit in the warm-up games.

I feel like I'm watching our feeble, pathetic efforts from the mid-90s out there against their spinners. I bet Yadav doesn't even get a bowl in this innings and they will bring in Harbhajan for the second test. Fucking crap.

Fucking miserable. That first innings was nothing short of a complete shambles. A couple of wickets were bad luck, I don't think Patel's LBW should have been given and I think Compton was just unlucky because he was looking quite settled for a first Test match under huge pressure.

Cook never looked dangerous and capable of making a really big score and everyone else was just an idiot throwing away their wicket. KP will never learn, Bell got out playing the most absurd shot for your first ball. Even Prior gave his wicket away in the end when he probably could have played more controlled shot, though I can forgive him slightly for being at the death of the innings and trying to make some extra runs in a hurry.

Time to dig in boys otherwise this one will be over tomorrow. There are about 25 overs left today and I wouldn't bet against us potentially being three or four down. I threw it out there a few days ago that I reckoned we'd be on for an innings defeat...sort of wish I'd put money on that now. At least I could gain something financially from this misery.

We did well to get the 100 partnership at the end there but it still looks like an impossible mission. Seeing how reasonably comfortable it was in that last session makes it all the more frustrating when you think about how shambolic we were in the 1st innings.

I still think we'll lose by an innings but at least we showed a bit of fight today.

• Paid Members

I've been quite impressed by Compton, actually, I think he even played quite well in the first innings. He doesn't have many shots in him against the spinners but he rotates the strike nicely and he's someone you can build an innings round. Cook has been excellent, too.

The problem is the middle order. Trott never starts well against spinners, fuck knows which Pietersen will turn up, and Bell is just fucking terrible against spin when it turns even slightly. Basically, if Pietersen and Cook / Compton don't get hundreds tomorrow, it's probably all over.

Compton has looked very good so far. He was unlucky to get out when he did in the first innings but he looks comfortable in the middle. You wouldn't think he's in his Test debut with the way he was playing today. Even if he doesn't go on to make a big score tomorrow, he'll get runs in this series and is a very good replacement for Strauss at the top of the order. If Cook plays on Day 4 like he did during that final session, he could go on to make a very big score in this innings. Trott should be alright...hopefully and we'll just have to hope that KP doesn't come out all guns blazing and throw his wicket away. These are the games when he needs to show he's a team player and help to build as big a score as possible.

Obviously, the first target is to make India bat again. If and when we get to that point, it's about trying to build a lead that gives the bowlers something to aim at, whether that's to try and bowl India out relatively cheaply or holding on for a draw. Of course, it could be all over in two sessions if we get a repeat of the first half of today...but let's see. The alarm is set, I'll be up for some cricket.

• Paid Members

India can't play spin!

What a strange test match and what an idiot Dhoni looks. Asks for a pitch with more bounce, gets one, and plays straight into our spinners' hands. They are far better off with low-bouncing dust-bowls because their batsmen love that shit whereas ours love extra bounce, regardless of the kind of bowler. Mind you, Ojha and Ashwin learned nothing from Swann and Panesar. Swann learned right away to bowl faster and a bit shorter, yet India's spinners couldn't seemingly change how they bowled at all. Pietersen's knock was one of the best test innings I've ever seen, too.

If they have any sense, they'll make Kolkata's pitch just like the first test and it will be back to normal service resumed. Otherwise, what an amazing turnaround for England.

• 4 months later...