The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I'm in two minds about this. Strauss has made himself into a cracking ODI batsman - having said that, he probably won't be around for the next World Cup, so it might be for the best. Hopefully Collingwood will pack it in now too and doubly hopefully they will stop giving recalls to Bopara and stop harassing fatties like Blackwell and Patel and give them a chance.

• Paid Members

I think the most interesting thing about that is the fact that it's a fast bowler as captain. How often does that happen these days, and why is it such a rarity?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how Broad gets on especially. I think Cook as captain could lead him to a Gooch-esque spell of the best batting of his career when he takes up the test role eventually.

I think the worry always is the physical workload of being a fast bowler on and off the field these days isn't suited to being a captain in the longer forms of cricket. There's not that much difference between everyone in Twenty 20 as all 11 tend to race about the field like a maniac, plus there's the games are shorter so any impact is minimal. But I think worries against how they would cope focusing on their own bowling as well as captaining the team always tends to make them favour a batter in longer games.

Broad as Twenty 20 captain is interesting, maybe the taste of captaincy will help him push on with his batting in other forms of the game, which would benefit England loads if he could become a true all rounder. Twenty 20 captaincy is odd though - I don't know how much influence a captain has on Twenty 20 games, it seems to be impacted much more by individual performances with bat and ball - I don't think you can say Collingwood's captaincy was a massive reason we won the world cup and nobody in the world game has stood out as a great captain yet really.

I think Cook as captain could lead him to a Gooch-esque spell of the best batting of his career when he takes up the test role eventually.

I'd agree with this, I've just rewatched the 2011 Ashes (on a fantastic 5 disc set received for my birthday), and Cook's batting was superb. At one point I thought he might actually run Bradman's record average in a test series close before we started winning games by an innings. It's great to see him finally hitting his stride again after the dip in form he had recently.

I'm all for Captain Cook, and would fancy him to beat Broad to the Test Captaincy when it comes up.

I'm not totally overjoyed by the decision of Cook as one-day captain. I think he is a top batsman, but like Strauss could fall in to the trap of being too conservative a captain. Admittedly I am basing this purely on his spell as captain in Bangladesh last year where his leading of the side was nothing short of odd at times. And I think in the one-day game, where wickets aren't quite as key as in test matches I think we could see negative field settings, which is a shame as I am all for attacking with the ball.

I'm probably being too harsh on him, and I'll reserve full judgement until I've seen more of his captaincy. I'd have given the job to Rob Key a couple of years back, but that was never going to happen. :rolleyes:

A shame Strauss has decided to call it a day completely in limited overs cricket, I thought over the last couple of years he had developed in to everything you want from an opener in ODI cricket-the WC innings against India was a prime example of this. But I suppose somebody has to make way for Cook to play, and Strauss is the obvious one.

I was in the press box for Leicester v Derby last week, and in successive days both james Whittaker and Geoff Miller were up there, and it seems that James Taylor is very, very close to an England call-up. I imagine Bopara is first in line to replace Colly, then we've got Morgan and Taylor next up.

Also Gladstone, Samit Patel is nowhere near being picked for England apparently. He is wayyyy behind the requirement in all 6 of the ECB's fitness drills and 'allegedly' goes in to his parents' post office in Nottingham at the end of every day's play to see them, and walks out with 3 mars bars and 3 cans of coke. So I think he has no interest in getting fit to play.

Edited by Sergio Bellend

• Paid Members

^ That's just discrimination against chubbers. Warney took 300 tins of beans and pork sausage to India for a tour once, a few Mars bars is nothing.

I think Cook as captain could lead him to a Gooch-esque spell of the best batting of his career when he takes up the test role eventually.

I'd agree with this, I've just rewatched the 2011 Ashes (on a fantastic 5 disc set received for my birthday)

I got the seven disc version for mine :cool:

Edited by Gladstone Small

To be fair, he's so talented. I played against him as a kid and nobody could touch him. In county cricket he still stands out - he's a proper player.

But he still needs to drop 3 dress sizes.

Edited by Max Power

• 3 weeks later...

What an amazing win today. Can't remember off hand a game with so much time lost to rain, meandering toward a draw only for us to pull out an innings victory. Our test side continues to impress. Sri Lanka are pretty disappointing though aren't they? Their attack needs some serious work after the retirements and their batters don't look in great nick at all.