The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

England have announced their World Cup squad:-

Andrew Strauss (capt), James Anderson, Ian Bell, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Paul Collingwood, Eoin Morgan, Kevin Pietersen, Matt Prior, Ajmal Shahzad, Graeme Swann, James Tredwell, Jonathan Trott, Luke Wright, Michael Yardy.

I don't mind Prior being there, I think he's a safer bet in the sub-continent than Davies, although I think Davies is going to be great. But I still don't know exactly what it is that Luke Wright actually DOES. Should be enough there for at least a semi-final slot though.

My first XI if all fit would probably be

Strauss

Bell

Trott

Pietersen

Morgan

Prior

Bresnan

Yardy

Swann

Broad

Anderson

Get rid of Wright, he's been mediocre at best for yonks now, certainly had his chances so unless he performs down under he's a goner for me. Then i'd have Prior down the order as I think he can play the same way he does in tests, try and bat us out of trouble if needed or rocket some runs on when we've already got a few.

Actually looking at that XI we seem to miss some good for a few overs, 5 bowlers all have to bowl 10 looking at that, but still i wouldn't like to see any of those left out for Wright or Collingwood who used to do that job so that's a potentially tricky situation I think.

• Paid Members
My first XI if all fit would probably be

Strauss

Bell

Trott

Pietersen

Morgan

Prior

Bresnan

Yardy

Swann

Broad

Anderson

Get rid of Wright, he's been mediocre at best for yonks now, certainly had his chances so unless he performs down under he's a goner for me. Then i'd have Prior down the order as I think he can play the same way he does in tests, try and bat us out of trouble if needed or rocket some runs on when we've already got a few.

Actually looking at that XI we seem to miss some good for a few overs, 5 bowlers all have to bowl 10 looking at that, but still i wouldn't like to see any of those left out for Wright or Collingwood who used to do that job so that's a potentially tricky situation I think.

I think that is the top 3 they will probably use, but I am worried about Bell and Trott in the top 3. They're not the most aggressive batsmen generally and might not take full advantage of the first power plays. It's difficult to see where Collingwood would fit in - I guess Bresnan would be most susceptible and Colly's bowling might be useful on those pitches.

But then you're left with Colly bowling 10 which is why I see it as a bit of a tricky situation, I suppose the next 6 ODI's might be important. If Bell, Morgan, Pietersen or Trott have a really bad series Colly could get the nod considering his bowling looks like it might be important. If they all do well we'll just have to have the 5 and give Trott/Pietersen a couple if someone has a 'mare.

The top 3 aren't the quickest but when you have Pietersen, Morgan and Prior in the locker a solid 5 an over start should do nicely, wickets in hand will be especially important as the middle overs probably wont be quite as flat over there as they can be elsewhere in 50 over cricket

• Paid Members
But then you're left with Colly bowling 10 which is why I see it as a bit of a tricky situation

I hadn't thought of that actually. I suppose it's good to have these options though, but you don't want to be relying on Colly, Trott and KP too much although I think they may all have a fair amount of bowling to do over there.

• Paid Members
Dear Andy Flower,

Please let Ian Bell open the batting.

Yours Sincerely,

England.

Innit. How many times are they going to give Prior a chance up there?

England are making this too complicated. They had put together a REALLY good ODI outfit and now they have lapsed into experimenting too much with batting line-ups.

• Paid Members

Often a problem for England at the end of an Ashes series - the ODIs come along and they do crap. But if they just stopped arseing around with the batting order then I think things would be much better. It doesn't help that we're missing our three best bowlers though.