The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

Well, as I always say, we need an Athers, Tavare, GLY innings. Hussey is playing well again, let's dig our feet in. Draw this one, win the next.

I know you wrote this when the Aussies were batting, but I'll say it anyway There's no way on this planet this match will end in a draw now. We need to make 391 runs or the Aussies have to take our 10 (make that 9) wickets in 7 sessions. I suspect we'll be going to the Boxing Day Test with the series level and the Aussies fired up. I've just woken up so seen nothing of the Australian innings from today, but sounds like Hussey was the key player once again. It's great to see Tremlett coming in and being so productive and taking the most wickets of the English attack, definitely justifies his place!

One wicket down now, and I think if we want to have a strong chance of winning the game, we could do with trying to get to the end of today's play without losing another wicket. The next few hours will be very interesting.

I dozed off during the evening session since I'd been up pretty late last night and decided on a spur of the moment to watch the cricket after I woke up. I rather regret that...not the greatest session for English cricket. During my dozing off, I thought I imagined Collingwood being caught out on the last ball of the day. Oh, if only that were a dream...

Was kept awake all last night with crippling back pain (just call me Pat lulz) but the silver lining was that I got to listen to the most amazing day of cricket. Now... we just need to make a BIG total!

I had a similar thing. I fell asleep with the cricket on and woke up just in time to see Trott hit his century. During the First Test though, I do recall the fact that every time I went out of the room for something, there was a wicket. That got incredibly annoying pretty quickly.

Looks like the Aussies are going to slump to a pretty big defeat here. One thing I didn't like seeing last night was Ryan Harris going down during his run-up to bowl with what has turned out to be a stress fracture on his left ankle which will need surgery, so he almost certainly won't bat. I guess if they needed the runs they could send him out and give him a runner, but there's no point in doing so given the situation, and I expect the game to be finished off by lunch tomorrow. Absolutely epic stuff though from Bresnan, a man who has only been given a chance in this Test due to Broad's injury and Finn being fatigued. He'll live through those few overs again and again in his mind, and rightly so.

• Paid Members

It's been great to see England show some really good 'bench strength' in this series - who knew that Bresnan would do so well when called on? I'm still not convinced of his credentials as a regular test player, but he's a great back-up. As for Tremlett, I just wonder if Broad will be looking over his shoulder now?

I hope England don't let their foot off the pedal for the last test though because I want them to win this series as well as retain the Ashes, and prove that they are now superior to Australia in all three forms of the game.

To me retaining the Ashes is no acheivement unless you win the series. Winning a series is one of the most coveted things in Cricket and to do it would put the players on another level.

This x1 million. You go in to every test series with the intention of winning it, so why should you settle for a draw against the Aussies just because it's them? Simply retaining a minature trophy that will be forever (and rightly) held in the Lords museum doesn't mean anything, it's just a drawn series.

Plus it would be fairly embarassing not to win this series comfortably with the aussies in such dreadful form.