The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Just got to say that Ponting's straight 6 of Sidebottom last night was one of the best cricket shots I have seen. Atherton called it shot of the century and while I wouldnt go that far it was incredible. 2 steps down the pitch and basically check-drove the ball miles back into the stand

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I'd like to see them adopt a sharing agreement for the 2013 series whereby Sky get to air two test live with the terrestrial partner showing three. That way, any impact on Sky revenues for the ECB and the counties will be less than if the whole Ashes goes terrestrial wholesale.

• 1 month later...

Cracking bowling indeed. I didn't wake up until half 9, by which point South Africa had already lost 5 and I turned on the commentary just in time to catch the sixth wicket. This should be a very comfortable win for England now, the target is only 120 and with the score being 37-0 at the moment, I can see us maybe losing a wicket or two, but this match should be a victory.

Crazy how the England cricketers don't have any continuing form. Absolutely smashed about in the last ODI (though I feel that was helped by the day/night aspect and the wicket being much more batting friendly in the day) and then playing some breathtaking cricket today to restrict South Africa on a wicket that is worth a lot more than 119.

• 5 months later...

T20 starts in a few hours, and I'm not remotely interested in its patheticness.

I'm much more interested in the start Yorkshire have had to the season, especially as nine of the eleven of the current side and Yorkshire born and bred.

On the negative side I managed to accumulate figures of 6-0-48-0 last saturday, and then did not bat. Garbage.

• Paid Members

New Zealand did well to beat Sri Lanka earlier.

It's all about Sussex getting back to Division One of the County Championship this year for me, 4 wins out of 4 so far. Plus I have tickets to day 3 of England vs Bangladesh at Lord's at the end of May.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this thread. But for those of you who haven't been keeping upto date with the ICC World Twenty20 tournament in the carribean, England have qualified for the final where they will face Australia or Pakistan.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how well England have played so far and their chances in the final?

Im pretty excited for the final and with my England hat on i think they may just win it.

They've been excellent, so excellent in fact that it seems and feels pretty normal for them to be in the final. Rather than being ecstatic they've made it, it's looked on the cards all week. Still great achievment whatever the final result.

I'm not totally convinced by the opening pair yet, they've has a LOT of luck and given lots of chances throughout the tournament and neither has gone on to get a fifty, you need the luck when you play like them, but when it isn't with them it could be gruesome. Having said that it is refreshing to see them playing like that up top, rather than Wright/Bopara looking lost. KP has been outstanding, some of the shots have been outrageous, especially the last six tonight against Malinga. Morgan has got better and better and looks pretty set and solid at 5 now. The bowling unit has been superb too, the fact that they've used 5 bowlers pretty much all through says a lot. Yardy has bowled very well, better than I thought he would and they've all executed the plans that they want to and executed them well, pace off the ball etc. Oh and the fielding has been great too.

So yeah, very impressive and hope they finish it off Sunday!

Totally agree Baz, i think the fact that the team has been unchanged apart from the one match has helped too. Yardy has really suprised me to be honest, when i've seen him doemstically he just seems like any ordinary county player, but he has aquitted himself superbly on the international stage.

What's been more suprising is the performances of some of the other teams i.e. India,South Africa,Sri Lanka. To me these teams seem too one dimensional and only really England and Australia have looked dynamic in terms of their performances.

I like the opening pair, they remind me of club cricketers who try and mow everything to the boundary. But you are right about the risk they take playin this way and if we do play Australia they could struggle against Tait and Nannes.

South Africa looked like such a tired and dull outfit in this tournament, as you say, very one-dimensional. Gibbs still playing for some reason, then De Villiers and Smith nowhere near their best and a pretty lacklustre bowling line-up really, apart from Langeveldt at the death.