The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

Yes, he's great. His columns are top quality as well. Can't imagine why anyone would have any issue with him.

Not sure just how many runs England need here. The most boring day of the series so far. They would have had enough if they declared overnight last night. Are they going to let Root get 200?

I'd disagree with that. It hasn't been so erratic and dramatic certainly, but I think boring is unfair. An absolutely superb innings from Root, started off in a tricky situation and just got better and better. Poor cricket, mainly batting has made it exciting, but it was almost refreshing to have a day where proper test batting dominated.

As for how far they go on, they could have had a dart at them tonight seeing as Clarke decided to not bowl his pace men but it shouldn't really matter and I have no problem with them letting a 22 year old try and get an Ashes Double century, still leaving the best part of 2 days to bowl them out.

• Paid Members

Pietersen's out for the rest of the test and it's been suggested that if he doesn't recover for the third test that Compton will come in. I REALLY hope he doesn't. Swapping our premier attacking batsman for a plodding opener wouldn't make much sense. On form on the domestic front, it's got to be James Taylor or maybe even a debut for Gary Ballance from Yorkshire. They're not going to pick Rashid just for his batting, surely?

If Compton comes back in, do you move Root back down the order or have Compton come in further down? Either way, I hope he doesn't come back in...Taylor has been on the fringes for so long and hasn't done much to suggest he wouldn't deserve a chance. I'd give him the nod over Compton. Ballance could be a great shout, but I suspect he might be one for the winter series.

The pessimist in me says that Cook is going to throw away a win here by not declaring this morning. Even if we just batted for the first session and declared at lunch, that gives us five sessions to bowl and all it takes is for one Australian to remember how to play cricket and they could find themselves able to batten down the hatches and steal a draw. It shouldn't happen, but that could be a worst case scenario. If this is about letting Root get to 200, I'd say he's got the first hour at the most (which should be plenty given he's on 178 overnight) and then get bowling before lunch.

No game for me today after a late night phone call from the skipper saying Kiel had forfeited the match at the last minute. Apparently, they were in the same position as us with most of their team unable to play because of Ramadan...but unlike us, they don't have a bunch of Englishmen, Australians and South Africans in the team too. Such is life. My fixtures list tells me we've got another friendly match next weekend, so maybe that'll go ahead. Still, at least it means I get another day of listening to TMS.

Imagine what the rest of this series might be like if England actually starts playing at their best? If Cook and Pietersen start scoring centuries, this could become a veritable rout.

I really enjoyed the tense "will be beat them with a day to spare, or will this go to Monday" finish last night as well :p

• Paid Members

Taylor's a good player of spin as well, which will be useful if Australia play two spinners.

I liked Baz Windham's suggestion of Moeen Ali - good player, very decent spinner, and in good form. But they will probably go for Taylor and rightly so, his record is excellent this season.

I really enjoyed the tense "will be beat them with a day to spare, or will this go to Monday" finish last night as well :p

Considering Botham was on commentary I'm surprised we didn't hear a cork popping in the commentary box when the last wicket went down in the knick of time.

Taylor's a good player of spin as well, which will be useful if Australia play two spinners.

I liked Baz Windham's suggestion of Moeen Ali - good player, very decent spinner, and in good form. But they will probably go for Taylor and rightly so, his record is excellent this season.

When I was listening to TMS they reckoned it was a three horse race between Taylor, Michael Carberry and possibly Varun Chopra.

• Paid Members

Good, glad to see him get another go. If him and Joe Root have a partnership, they will officially be the youngest looking pairing in non-age group cricket of all time.

Finally made my debut in German cricket today as part of the 35 over friendly league that was set up a few years ago. Played against Schwerin on a lovely wicket, bone dry and very pacey outfield so anything decent went off for four. Lost the toss and in 34 degree heat, there wasn't any question about whether we'd be made to field first. Jeeeeesus...that was hard work! Bowled a few overs after the first drinks break, should have taken a wicket with my first ball had we been a bit luckier, but took one with the last ball in my first over with a brilliant catch. Set up perfectly, teased the batsman into playing a shot a few times and then watched him hook it straight to the man on the boundary. Second over was tighter, but the batsman just played a straight bat.

Anyway, having been set 245 from our 35 overs, we had a cracking run chase that featured needing 91 off the last 10 overs and making it home after some beautiful big hitting. I wasn't needed to bat (thankfully!) but it was good to play, even better to win and quite satisfying to take a wicket...especially after fearing that I'd damaged my knee at training last night. It's still not 100%, but initial fears at the time that I'd possibly done a knee ligament seem to have been put to rest. :p

Great game, played in good spirit and looking forward to getting a few more games before I need to go back to England.

The way the league is structured over here means that the season is already over. The Bundesliga Nord final is today with our first team playing, and then German champions will be decided by a match against the winner of the other league next month.

We've got two more games in the friendly league next month, so my name is down for those and hopefully I can play those. I seemed to impress with my bowling yesterday and now that I'll be training twice a week, I can keep building on that (as well as getting even more batting practice) and earn my spot on the team.

I saw the squad for the next Test has been announced. Finn is dropped with Tremlett coming into the side and Panesar being a second spinner option for what will probably be a turning Old Trafford wicket.

Sounds like KP will be fit. Where does that leave us?

Also, I think the sun and heat will be back for the start of the test. Hurrah!