The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

Ian Botham has just walked past my work on one of his charity walks. I clapped him and he nodded and said thanks. I think I'm in love.

He was a prick to me in the late '90s. I was in a hotel lift that he got into, early evening on one of his walks. As it happened, I worked for the same hotel group at the time, though he wasn't to know that. I said "Good evening, Mr Botham"...he replied "don't fucking bother"!. Prick.

a heads up for anyone interested

itv4 are showing "from the ashes" an excellent doc on the summer of 1981 and englands legendary series against australia. Narrated by Tom Hardy it also focuses on the mood and other events that were going on at that time. its on at 8 tonight

Did anyone see Pietersen's IPL knock today? 103 not out, and pretty much singlehandedly won the game for Delhi Daredevils.

Yeah, it was a very good knock but he really should've been out on six when Chipla dropped a sitter. The other two 'chances' were really tough to the point you couldn't blame the players who dropped him. He played pretty steady for his 50 (off around 40 odd balls) then accelerated the pace the second half of his innings, and his next 53 came off about 24 balls. He took it to the spinners especially and bludgeoned Duminy and (I think) Mishra for numerous sixes.

Deccan are a poor side and rely far too much on Steyn with the ball, and he has no back up whatsoever. There is no way that Dan Christian will ever fetch $900,000 again, and Simon Hughes in the studio agreed with my assessment that he's the most overrated player in the IPL (another run a ball knock and expensive when bowling too).

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Ahh, that reminds me:-

Hollioake estimates debts at $22m

Adam Hollioake, the former England captain, has appeared in an Australian court over debts estimated at A$23m ($22m) after the property development company that he ran in Perth with his father, John, after retiring from cricket went bankrupt.

Hollioake, whose company has been declared bankrupt, has appeared in court to answer questions about his financial affairs and to confirm how much money he owes to about 40 creditors, including another England captain, his Surrey and England team-mate Alec Stewart.

Hollioake, 40, told the Daily Mail that he was a victim of the financial crisis, saying: "Alec understands the position I got myself into, as do the other creditors, apart from one who is determined to stamp me into the ground.

"What happened was mostly out of my hands, although I accept that I did not apply the same professionalism in my business affairs as I did in my cricket.

"There have been claims that I've ripped people off, run away with their money, got it all tucked away, secretly loaded myself up. The truth is, I've been left with nothing. Nothing, that is, except the devotion of my wife, Sherryn, and the love of my kids.

"When we married I was captain of England, good looking, plenty of money, not a care in the world. Now she is married to a fat old guy, not good looking any more, and no money."

Bloody hell, I just want to give him a hug after that!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/cont...ory/572794.html

• 1 month later...

Well, goodbye to our beloved number one test spot. At least you can tip your hat to South Africa who have deserved it. Still madness that it was only 3 tests but we've been second best all series. Our top order now needs a rethink, especially with the whole KP debacle. Back to the drawing board. Graeme Smith really has matured into a class act as a captain and person hasn't he? Just also found out we don't play them again for another 3 and a half years.

• Paid Members

Yeah, ridiculous that we don't play again until the 2015/16 season, but like you say, well deserved South Africa. I think they've been the best team in the world for a couple of years now, and had we played them at any point during that time they probably would have beaten us.

Looked like we might just have some fireworks at the end there when Prior and Swanny we hitting big, but as has been the case all series, the new ball has made all the difference.

• 1 month later...

Thought this could do with a bump with the T20 World Cup having started and England beggining in a bit. I'd rather not have a broken ankle, but having one when this is on is one of those "not all bad" moments.

Brendon McCullum (or McCallum if you're Mr Akram) hit a splendid knock of 123 this morning which is the highest in T20 internationals. It was great to watch but the asscoiate teams have been awfully dissapointing so far, with Afghanistan being the most entertaining. Unless there is an upset this afternoon a couple of the weekends 'big' games will be almost pointless because you go into pre-assigned super 8 groups. I can see why they do that but it makes the opening few games a little flat unless the asscoiate teams turn up and they've been dreadful so far.

Edited by Baz Windham

• Moderators

In all fairness though, I feel really sorry for the associate teams. Look at Kenya in the World Cup in 2003. They come joint third, and what does the ICC do with them after this fantastic achievement?

"Well, that's it for now. See you in 4 years, lads".

It's horribly insular and Cricket will never grow as it should unless this changes. Even if the minnows get success the ICC won't get behind them. It's a lot like when Argentina came 3rd in the 2007 Rugby World Cup. Instead of fast tracking them into the Tri Nations, they've only just got around to it now costing vital years of continuing development playing wigth some kind of regularity against top teams.

• Paid Members

Agreed. The last country who came through and have achieved anything were Sri Lanka, and they became a full member in 1983. It's not good enough, really.

It's all very well the ICC having lower league international fixtures and having promotion and relegation, but what's the point when you reach the level below full membership and know that you will not break through? The criteria for become included is far, far too harsh. The ICC is fucking shit. They make FIFA look competent.