The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

I was gonna start a seperate ashes thread, but I found this one through the search instead.

I just got back from the Melbourne Cricket Ground seeing the Aussies throw away a comfortable win against Sri Lanka. Malinga was excellent, a previous best high score of 16, totally trounced today with a 56! On the brink of defeat at 107-8, to come back and win it with the highest 9th wicket partnership in ODI history...amazing atmosphere!

The crowd was 95% Sri Lankan, so maybe the Aussies have lost all faith in their team...a good sign for us coming up to the ashes!

Edited by SK8_WAR

• Paid Members

Nearly time for the Ashes, lads. What do we reckon is going to happen, then?

I think it's really hard to call. Unlike last time when we went over there to defend them, we actually look reasonably well prepared aside from fucking up our best fast bowler with a stiff right to the ribs. Australia are a complete mess, losing to almost everyone, a few injuries, and with plenty of players out of form. But will they raise their game? Probably.

Looking two weeks ahead, I think these will be the two teams:-

Australia - Watson, Katich, Ponting, Clarke, M Hussey, North, Haddin, Johnson, Hilfenhaus, Bollinger, Harris.

England - Cook, Strauss, Digger Trott, Pietersen, Collingwood, Bell, Prior, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Finn.

I reckon Aus will go in with all pace if the pitch is meant to be as quick as Ponting says it will be, and leave the spinning to shitarses like North and Clarke. Actually, North is probably as good as Hauritz anyway, so it might do them a favour. Our side picks itself even if Cook gets literally no runs in the warm ups.

For the series, I reckon 1-1. Which will do nicely, obviously.

Edited by Gladstone Small

• Moderators

Hauritz is a headhunter is Aus first class, he's dangerous.

Mind you, as someone who's pitched pedestrian leg breaks, I'm chuffed to see Graeme Swann bowl actual World Class spin. I think the last time we had someone who bowled finger spin often with less than a 35 average was Graeme Hick in the mid-90's, and that would have been limiited overs. What he can get out of the pitches is key.

Anyway, It'll finish 1-1, and we'll retain. If Warne shows lack of faith in Ponting, the rest of Aus will follow.

• Paid Members

You might get your chance to see some pedestrian leg breaks in this series if Australia pick Steven Smith. Were you more of an Ian Salisbury (turn the ball quite a lot but never actually pitched it) or a Chris Schofield (didn't turn it at all, and always bowled short)?

• Paid Members

I started off as a Derek Pringle-esque no pace but accurate medium pacer who smashed the school record books when I recorded figures of 4-3-5-4 in an inter-form match when I was 12. Then I became an off-spinner that could turn the ball sharply but with no great accuracy, a la Mike Watkinson. My batting mostly consisted of a step to the leg side and a speculative waft in the style of Phil Tufnell.

I think we'll take it 2-1. Even though we'd retain with a draw, thats not enough for me.

I think we'll win, and I certainly agree with your latter point. There's not much really in simply holding on to the trophy, it's all about winning this series, like it is any other one. Fuck retaining it, we've a better team than the aussies, and particularly with the way they have been playing, a draw would be a disappointing result. Better than losing 5-0 though, natch. :p

Ian Salisbury. I was always overpitching, and the balls were looping.

Fantastic.

I was in a similar mould, and actually made a (albeit brief) living out of the game with Yorkshire and Derbyshire, until the latter sacked me aged 21.

Swann is brilliant. His banter is tremendous too, if Jimmy Saville was still on TV, I'd certainly be asking him to Fix It for me to have a pint and a chinwag with Swann.

He's a hero.

As for the Ashes, i'm not too sure. I'd take 1-1 (obviously), but I don't know where we'll get the win from. We've not won the first test since 86/87, when Sir Beefy smoked Big Merv all over Brisbane. If we do manage to win the first test, then its plain sailing though - imo of course.

• Moderators
I started off as a Derek Pringle-esque no pace but accurate medium pacer who smashed the school record books when I recorded figures of 4-3-5-4 in an inter-form match when I was 12. Then I became an off-spinner that could turn the ball sharply but with no great accuracy, a la Mike Watkinson. My batting mostly consisted of a step to the leg side and a speculative waft in the style of Phil Tufnell.

My refusal to employ any footwork and just try and use brute force to smash the ball back past the bowler made me everyone's bunny. I am very possibly the worst batsman of all time.

Fantastic.

I was in a similar mould, and actually made a (albeit brief) living out of the game with Yorkshire and Derbyshire, until the latter sacked me aged 21.

Swann is brilliant. His banter is tremendous too, if Jimmy Saville was still on TV, I'd certainly be asking him to Fix It for me to have a pint and a chinwag with Swann.

He's a hero.

That's fucking awesome! Did you play any List A?

Swann is the greatest twitterer of all time as well. He comes up with such brilliant pearls as:-

All I had in the house this morning was Strawberry Nesquik. Finest Breakfast I've had since the age of 9.

And speaking of Ian Salisbury, here's an interesting article from Cricinfo - http://blogs.cricinfo.com/itfigures/archiv...t_bowlers_i.php

Edited by ButchReedMark

I always felt sorry for Salisbury. He always did well in county cricket and he'd start a series but never finish it. Leggies were in vogue because of Shane Warne and they stood by him until it was clear he was never going to be the wicket-taker they thought he'd be. A classic selectors' project.

Err the Aussies will not pick Ryan Harris for the first test. They'll pick Hauritz.

He did only bowl 2 overs there in a 4 dayer the other week but that was Queenslands fault for getting out for something like 90 and 70.

Australia need to play a spinner. They won't risk Steve Smith as the only spinner, batting at 6 (at least not without another spinner) as he got belted by Sri Lanka in the ODIs and bowled about 9 overs for 80. As much as I like the fellow.

My refusal to employ any footwork and just try and use brute force to smash the ball back past the bowler made me everyone's bunny. I am very possibly the worst batsman of all time.

Apart from me. I was the living definition of the night watchman - my only real stroke was a firm forward defensive block. I could frustrate a bowling attack no end, but never score a run.

Fantastic.

He's a hero.

That's fucking awesome! Did you play any List A?

Swann is the greatest twitterer of all time as well. He comes up with such brilliant pearls as:-

All I had in the house this morning was Strawberry Nesquik. Finest Breakfast I've had since the age of 9.

Sadly not.

Yorkshire had Mark Lawson in front of me, and then latterly Rashid. Always hated Lawson, the bald bastard. I played England Under 15/16/17's though, with such luminaries as Chris Nash, Phil Mustard, Gordan Muchall and Chris Benham. But I went to Uni and played for Braford Leeds UCCE, and discovered drink/fast food/shagging etc, and the rest is history.

By the time I went to Derbyshire, I'd "gone" and had the Summer of 2004 in the Second X1 before ending my career by having a few games for Lincolnshire in the Minor Counties.

Anyway...

Glad to see Collingwood in the runs.

• Paid Members
Sadly not.

Yorkshire had Mark Lawson in front of me, and then latterly Rashid. Always hated Lawson, the bald bastard. I played England Under 15/16/17's though, with such luminaries as Chris Nash, Phil Mustard, Gordan Muchall and Chris Benham. But I went to Uni and played for Braford Leeds UCCE, and discovered drink/fast food/shagging etc, and the rest is history.

So you were another Yorkshire leggie? Was there some kind of spin bowling push up in Yorkshire around that time because they have always been renowned for their seamers but not necessarily spinners because of the pitches at Headingley?

I like Chris Nash though, was he much kop when you played with him? Might have an outside shout of a ODI cap or two if he keeps playing well.