OOOLD SCHOOOOL

JLM

Nah, I don't think so. The FMW reviews didn't create much talk except being a waste of time. Besides I'll be getting the 2009 footage any day now, so that'll keep me occupied with reviewing catching up with this years happenings.

I did consider getting getting everything WING and all the Michinoku Pro 1993 footage along with other Japanese shows I haven't seen from the first few years of the 90's like from UWFI, Fujiwara-Gumi, Oriental, NOW and such, but right now I'll wait with that and see how much fun 2009 is before I go back in time again.

--PUNQ--

Edited by PUNQ

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

Granted he's not everybody's cup of tea, but I found the original Goldust gimmick to have a bundle of potential, but WWF just kept watering it down.

I found Goldust creepy but very interesting to listen too.

Also he always had awesome entrance music.

Only the lordy knows if this counts but I consider there to be one moment that encapsulates everything I love about wrestling. I believe it's a promo for bad blood between the Undertaker and HBK, when HBK comes down in a pair of tight pants and starts jumping up and down doing the crotch chop thing right in front of JR. JR then gets annoyed and says something like "you got my attention" followed by the money shot, when HBK just turns his head to the side of the ring where the camera is and just grins with sunglasses on like some kind of arrogant sophomoric idiot. For me all the IF YA SMELLS, great promos and acting can't compare with actually being what you say you are.

If you're playing a cunt and you are a cunt, you cannae beat it.

• Moderators

- There is a link to all you need to know about truly great C20th wrestling.

The brilliance which is Herb Abrams UWF. WWE really needs to hire Colonel Red...

I imagine most of you know the story of Herb's UWF, but for those who don't, it was truly the greatest company of all time. You had Danny Spivey dressed like Marty Jannetty, John Tolos calling everything "Super Duper!" on commentary, Barry Horowitz was "Ever Dastardly" and called "The Star of David" and the tag team of "Wet and Wild" featuring Sonny Beach and Steve Ray were heavily featured.

Although to be fair, Orndorff and Dr Death were beasts there.

Also on Youtube from UWF is the Warlords Manager (Cult Musician Zoogz Rift) eating Bob Orton's cowboy hat.

• 5 weeks later...

I know I said I was going to do an old Starrcade, but I just had to get started on these.

WCW Nitro 04/09/1995

Yup, it's WCW Nitro from the start. I have no idea what's on any of these from week to week, so this is going to be a pretty interesting viewing experience.

Jushin Liger vs. Bryan Pillman

This was actually the one match that I WAS aware of, but I haven't seen it before now. The opening stages of this match were awkward and woeful at times. It really kicks off after the dives though, in both the pace of the match and how slick the action is and kinda makes up for what came before it. The fans were way into it by the end, and this was a pretty good first match for Nitro.

Sting has a promo and he says nothing very important.

Hulk Hogan is in some mall. He keeps on going on about "Pastamania" and "Pastamaniacs". He's basically saying what he's going to do to Big Bubba later on. So that'll be the main event then ?

Sting © vs. Ric Flair - WCW United States Championship

Lex Luger is here and it gets absolutely major heat. Was this when he jumped back to WCW ? This was a pretty decent back and forth match. It's actually the best match I've seen between these two guys. Although four Gorilla Press Slams in the same match, three of them taking place in the space of a minute ? Really ?

After the match there's all sorts of shenanigans.

1) Arn Anderson goes after Ric Flair.

2) Scott Norton squares up to Steve McMichael.

3) Randy Savage squares up to Scott Norton.

It ends with Savage in the ring wanting a match with Scott Norton, and he gets held back by tonnes of officials. Man, that was an action packed couple of minutes right there.

Mr. Wallstreet is now doing a pre-taped promo. We're gonna know he's a real player apparently. I'll bet.

Big Bubba vs. Hulk Hogan

Almost your standard Hogan match here. I say almost because Hogan got a lot more offense than he would usually get in the middle of the match, rather than the big heel dominating the match completely. That actually helped the match a bit. Perfectly fine main event.

The Dungeon of Doom hit the ring and attack Hogan. Lex Luger comes down to the ring and then goes face to face with Hogan after helping him out. Sting and Savage come to the ring to make sure nothing happens between the two men. Luger says he wants a shot at Hogan and Hogan agrees to a title match right away since he respects Luger.

OVERALL

THIS is how you fill an hour of TV ladies and gentlemen. Some decent action in the ring, some great set up for the next show and almost no dead spots whatsoever. What a load of fun that was.

• Moderators

WCW WORLDWIDE FROM SOME POINT IN 1992, JULY I THINK.

Just going through my old videos, I found this recorded off Sky Sports. It's WCW Worldwide from 1992. So it's Watts era, and it's going to be full of mullets, brilliance and Steve Williams. And also it's during the

• Paid Members
WCW WORLDWIDE FROM SOME POINT IN 1992, JULY I THINK.

That was the best thing I've read on this forum ever. Marvellous.

Although I loved Pillman you twat.

I love the great detail in the descriptions in there too. You can picture everything.

It's funny watching the slo-mo, Bagwell raises his hands to protect his head from the kick, but it doesn't matter, because he held his hands too far apart, Barbie's foot just ripped through, and fucked Bagwell up.

WCW Nitro 11/09/1995

Week two. Main evented by Lex Luger vs. Hulk Hogan for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship.

Sabu vs. Alex Wright

Alex Wright is the very definition of cannon fodder here. Not sure if the ending was botched a bit there, but that was an incredibly lively match. I was expecting a bit of a squash match here considering the hype that Sabu was getting, but Alex Wright got in a lot of offense and looked good in doing so. Sabu took a couple of big bumps, and one particularly nasty one. A lively opening match.

Sabu isn't happy with just winning and decides to bring a table into the proceedings. Sabu sends himself flipping onto Wright who is sitting on the table and they go through the table.

Ric Flair is brought out by Mean Gene and they talk about Ric Flair's match with Arn Anderson. He bigs up Arn Anderson in a big way. He says that the Horseman signal was a signal of excellence. Lex Luger waddles on out there. Flair then bigs up Lex Luger, and Luger doesn't want to hear it. That was a pretty good promo from Ric Flair, even if I'm not sure what they were going for.

Sting © vs. V.K. Wallstreet - WCW United States Championship

I'm not sure if I'd go as far as to say that this was a bad match, but it certainly wasn't far off. It was all over the place and Wallstreet didn't look too far short of useless out there. Sting pulled something out of his arse to make this one seem half way watchable.

Scott Norton vs. Randy Savage

Really didn't see the point of Norton doing the Bearhug and then letting it go, especially since it was so devastating. The match was also a bit long, but Savage's selling like a trooper and making me believe that Norton had a chance of winning made this a goodie. Belting ending as well.

Dungeon of Doom hit the ring and they're not amused since their plans for the match backfired. There's dissenssion and Scott Norton is livid. No wonder.

Hulk Hogan © vs. Lex Luger - WCW World Heavyweight Championship

This was another standard Hogan match and again, it was pretty entertaining as they kept it short and two sided.

Dungeon of Doom come out after that and go after Hogan. Randy Savage heads for the ring as well as well as Sting. The Dungeon don't touch Luger and Hogan doesn't understand it. Sting sticks up for his buddy and Savage isn't so sure. Sting wants Luger into the team and Hogan decides to allow him in.

OVERALL

This was a pretty good hour of wrestling yet again. The main event was much better than I was expected and the opener was really fun stuff, but I just don't get the Ric Flair promo. There was no setup for the next week either which was a shame.

WCW Nitro 18/09/1995

An ambulance is getting to the arena and The Taskmaster and The Giant head out of there. The Giant talks about making Hogan "melt like putty" for the third time at the Fall Brawl PPV the night before. Apparently he really enjoyed it.

The American Males vs. The Blue Bloods

Well, it was supposed to be, but Harlem Heat, who won the tag team titles the night before, head for the ring and attack The Blue Bloods and we now have ...

Harlem Heat © vs. The American Males - WCW Tag Team Championships

That was majorly hot action from start to finish there. There was absolutely no dead spots whatsoever. They just completely forgot about the tag formula and just went all out at each other. There was also the great shock ending, but the commentators are blatantly telegraphing the decision getting overturned. That's probably for the best because the fans didn't give a fuck about American Males winning.

Mean Gene is now in the ring with "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair. Is this just a repeat of last week or something ? Nope, because this time he's in his gear. Gene says that Flair will be facing Bryan Pillman. Flair says that Anderson broke the code by bringing an outsider into the problems that they're having. Ric Flair basically says he's gonna beat the shit out of Pillman. Much more to the point than last week at least.

"Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff vs. Johnny B. Badd

This is definately the battle of the worst entrance music in WCW at that time. Orndorff's might be so bad that it's hilarious though, so Johnny wins the prize on this one. In an idea I can't approve of, they played both pieces of music for ages. I loved the aggression of Orndorff in this match and then Badd came back with all sorts of fury but the match then just tailed off. It was still a decent match.

Mean Gene is back in the ring and he's bringing Randy Savage out. They talk about the altercation between The Taskmaster and Randy Savage on the set of Baywatch, and he says he's gonna rip Sullivan's head off. Very concise of him. Savage says that people are with him or they're against him after Lex Luger gave him a "cheap shot" in the Wargames match, and that brings Luger out. Savage isn't going to be shaken on his theories, and Luger says nothing of interest, which Savage doesn't take kindly. We go to commercials. Good promo there from Savage and Luger didn't seem to have a clue why he was even there.

Bryan Pillman vs. Ric Flair

This is as a result of Pillman helping Arn Anderson to win his match with Ric Flair at Fall Brawl. Ric Flair definately delivered on his promise and beat the living crap out of Pillman both in the ring and all over ringside with some brutal chops and right hands. The fans were right behind him 100% of the way. Credit to Pillman for sticking with him but Flair just kicked his arse for pretty much the entire match and didn't let up for a second. Not a wrestling match, just a beating, but it was a fun beating to watch.

Ric Flair has a microphone, and says that Arn Anderson's gonna get his ass kicked next week.

OVERALL

I think I need to take a breath after that. This show was absolutely nuclear from start to finish. The action so far on these shows has been very reliable and has done exactly what you'd ask from it.

Frank Sidebottom and Haraga, your reviews are both excellent in so very different ways! Keep these coming guys, there good reads.

On a another note, I watched Mr Perfect vs Tito Santana from Saturday Nights Main Event last night, 1990 or 89.. Was an absolute belter, Perfect selling like a madman, bumping all over the show and Santana narrowly winning the IC belt on three occasions during the match, the finish was an absolute delight. The crowd were white hot for this and in a way its sad because if this match was performed now, no one would give a fuck. Note to WWE: this is how you book the IC belt!!

Only the lordy knows if this counts but I consider there to be one moment that encapsulates everything I love about wrestling. I believe it's a promo for bad blood between the Undertaker and HBK, when HBK comes down in a pair of tight pants and starts jumping up and down doing the crotch chop thing right in front of JR. JR then gets annoyed and says something like "you got my attention" followed by the money shot, when HBK just turns his head to the side of the ring where the camera is and just grins with sunglasses on like some kind of arrogant sophomoric idiot. For me all the IF YA SMELLS, great promos and acting can't compare with actually being what you say you are.

If you're playing a cunt and you are a cunt, you cannae beat it.

Thats not only one of my fave promos but also a good reason why religious Shawn promos are boring

This thread has prompted me to dig out some mighty fine WCW comp DVDs I have. I have a long flight tomorrow, so I'm ripping them to my various portable video devices for 10 hours of in-flight WCW. :thumbsup:

On a another note, I watched Mr Perfect vs Tito Santana from Saturday Nights Main Event last night, 1990 or 89.. Was an absolute belter, Perfect selling like a madman, bumping all over the show and Santana narrowly winning the IC belt on three occasions during the match, the finish was an absolute delight. The crowd were white hot for this and in a way its sad because if this match was performed now, no one would give a fuck. Note to WWE: this is how you book the IC belt!!

You made me head and watch the match I think you're talking about. The date is 28/07/1990.

I reckon the crowd was so, so desperate to see Perfect lose that IC Title. This match was absolute high drama of the best quality. This is how you do ref bumps and comebacks and everything was nuclear. Super super ending to the match as well.

WCW Nitro 25/09/1995

Alex Wright vs. Disco Inferno

This would be the Monday Nitro debut for Disco. I could have sworn Alex Wright was a heel the last time out against Sabu. Nevermind. Wright is all MOVEZ~~~!!! here, and it definately works for him in a short match like this. Disco Inferno spends most of the time dancing which doesn't do this match any favours whatsoever. Thankfully, he has a disaster debut. This was an alright match when Wright was in control, and Alex Wright was big time over here.

Hogan and Jimmy Hart have a backstage promo and says that he's gonna set The Giant up and take him down. He gives a pretty graphic description of what he's gonna do to The Giant and then says he'll challenge him to a match. "Big Stinky Nasty Giant.". :laugh: Fuck off.

We come back from the commercials where Mean Gene is standing with Randy Savage. Lex Luger gets right down to the ring. Luger says Savage lacks respect. He says that he has respect for past opponents like Hogan and Sting and challenges Savage to a match and says that he will leave WCW if he doesn't win. Savage accepts the challenge. Quite an interesting wee fued getting going here.

Kurasawa vs. Sgt. Craig Pittman

Are we finally going to see an end to the run of okay - good matches on Nitro ? All I've seen from Pittman has been a bag of shit. Pittman does a bunch of Kozlov type Headbutts except for the fact that he actually uses his head. The highlight of this match is when Kuruawa, clearly pissed off with how poor Pittman is, exposes the concrete and drops him on it with no remorse. Just to compound the badness, rather than kick out of a pin, Pittman tries to wriggle to the ropes. Cretin. This was a bad match regardless of the fun I had from the headbutts and concrete stuff.

Mean Gene is back in the ring with Bryan Pillman and Arn Anderson. Pillman talks a whole load of crap, but what he basically means is that he and AA will hospitalize Ric Flair. AA says that the better man won. Arn Anderson says what goes around comes around and that's why Ric Flair can't find a partner to face them.

The Taskmaster vs. Randy Savage

This might have been worse than the match earlier on between Pittman and Kurasawa. It was basically the same fire filled fist fight that we've been seeing on Nitro, except there was absolutely no heat to it thanks to Sullivan sucking the life right out of it and Savage getting absolutely zero offense in.

The Giant comes down and hits The Chokeslam on Savage and then some jobbers come out and meet the same fate. Alex Wright hits the ring and jumps right into the Bearhug and Taskmaster beats the crap out of Savage. Lex Luger is then heading for the ring. In an interesting piece of intrigue, The Giant attacks Luger before he can make any choice. that ending to the match was much better than the match before it.

Lex Luger vs. Meng

Luger is basically having to wrestle Meng with the injuries that he picked up in the beating he got from The Giant. Those pre-match shenanigans pretty much dictated that this match would be pretty tedious stuff because of the selling of the injuries and it didn't help that Meng was as boring as sin in this match. Probably the weakest main event yet on the weakest show yet.

OVERALL

This was simply not on the same level as the previous three weeks. Two bad matches and a tedious main event make this actually a pretty poor hour of wrestling. The only good point was the Savage/Luger/Dungeon of Doom stuff. Lets hope for an improvement next week.

WCW Nitro 02/10/1995

Ric Flair opens things by grabbing one of the headsets at the start of the show and goes nuts about the prospect of facing Arn Anderson.

Lex Luger vs. Randy Savage

If Luger loses, he is leaving WCW. This has been a decent wee fued which sort of stemmed from the opening episode of Nitro. Really well wrestled match, with Luger doing the "am I heel or not ?" sort of deal through the match. Liked the opening with neither man giving an inch, showing the importance of the match. Of course, The Giant adds to the intrigue by helping Luger win, although Luger didn't see it. Ooohhhh. Suspense. Really good opener.

Tony Schiavone is saying Malenko/Guerrero was scheduled, but here comes Disco Inferno. He dances quite a bit. Eddie Guerrero has seen enough and heads for the ring while scaring Disco away. Thank fuck for that. Time for a decent match coming up !

Dean Malenko vs. Eddie Guerrero

An absolutely phenomenal display of counter wrestling from these two guys. They must have hit about three high impact moves between them in this one as everything was ducking, covering, diving and pinning. The speed at which they did it was amazing too. A terrific second match.

Eddie Guerrero accepts a challenge to a rematch.

During the match Hogan arrived and Hart urged him to stay in the limo, but Hogan refused. He comes out to the ring after the break. He says he's going to the back and he's going to rip The Giant apart. Someone comes out of the crowd with a cane. Zodiac and The Giant head for the ring. The Taskmaster was in disguise. This is a beatdown ! The Giant does the brutal neck twist that he did before at the PPV and then shave his moustache off and the fans are HATING this. The American Males hit the ring. As you can gather, that doesn't end well for them. The Nasty Boys meet the same fate.

Arn Anderson vs. Ric Flair

Rematch from Fall Brawl 1995 ! No taunting from Flair on the way to the ring, as he is meaning business in a big way. Once again, Flair isn't even remotely interested in having a wrestling match and just wants to beat the crap out of AA, but Anderson is far more experienced than Pillman and uses all of his crafty ways to keep himself in the match but he only does it just barely. Pillman ends up saving Anderson from defeat. This wasn't much in the way of a wrestling match but again, a fun beating handed out.

Pillman and Anderson do a number on Ric Flair. Next week we get a cage match between Arn Anderson and Ric Flair. Niiiiice.

OVERALL

Super show. Absolutely super. The segment with Hogan was absolutely amazing and added insane heat to the fued with The Giant. The opening two matches were stunning and the main event only added fuel to the Flair/Anderson fire. The best one yet.