OOOLD SCHOOOOL

JLM

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members
Get lost, you lot. PUNQ's posts are an excellent read, he does them on Mempho as well. If you're too lazy to bother reading through and then asking about them or talking about some of the shows or wrestlers he's mentioned, that's your fault; it doesn't make him a thread-killer.

Oh do be quiet. He has an entire thread filled with posts identical to that, it was hardly the mistake of the century me thinking he posted in the wrong thread. And before you start throwing around stupid arse accusations of not reading them or anything, I do read them. Including the one in this thread. In all total fairness though, he's posting about obscure japanese stuff from 1990 that hardly anyone in here will understand or know about anyway. In a thread full of talk mainly about early WWF/WCW/NWA stuff, it's hardly a shock his post looked out of place.

Err, this is a thread about the old school. FMW in the early 90s is as Old School as it gets, these are the guys who invented the Death Match. Nowhere at any point does it say that it has to be about early WWF/WCW/NWA stuff, and just because that's all anyone else has talked about so far doesn't mean that nobody else wants to read them. And even if you don't like them, it doesn't mean "hardly anyone" will know or understand them - there are plenty of puro fans on here. Either way, this thread is as good a place for it as any, and calling it a "thread-killer" just highlights other people's ignorance. You don't know or care, fine - there are plenty of other people who do. Don't speak for them.

You really didn't read my post did you. For one I didn't say that it has to be about wwf/wcw/etc, I said it's been that mainly so far. Nor did I say nobody wants to read them, in fact I admitted that I read them. I didn't once say I don't like them, why would I read them all if I didn't?. I'm also willing to bet that despite the amount of puro fans, there will still be a big bunch of people who don't know or havn't watched FMW from 1990. I also didn't call it a thread killer, that was the guy before me, I just said I thought he'd posted in the wrong thread. I actually see where Dude and Seven might be coming from now. :blink:

• Paid Members
You really didn't read my post did you. For one I didn't say that it has to be about wwf/wcw/etc, I said it's been that mainly so far. Nor did I say nobody wants to read them, in fact I admitted that I read them. I didn't once say I don't like them, why would I read them all if I didn't?. I'm also willing to bet that despite the amount of puro fans, there will still be a big bunch of people who don't know or havn't watched FMW from 1990. I also didn't call it a thread killer, that was the guy before me, I just said I thought he'd posted in the wrong thread. I actually see where Dude and Seven might be coming from now. :blink:

So I disagree with you on a subject, and now you think that I warrant trolling and insults? That's a bit over-sensitive to discussion, even for me. And I did read your post, and, whether you meant to or not, you implied a few things. Sorry if I misunderstood, but that's hardly a hanging offence.

What makes you think I was aiming the "thread-killer" remark at you? There were a couple of people who thought those reviews ended the thread - Trick Rikki actually calling it "thread-killer", and Childsy praising BR's post as "that's how you do a post", as if PUNQ's wasn't. And why bring up the point about it being WWF/WCW/etc. at all? Nobody originally said that, so I wasn't having a go at them for that - you're one who brought it up.

My post was not related to the "Thread Killer" remark as i have been reading PUNQ's posts as well. I just thought BionicRedneck's post which was a mix of story and link's to the events that took place is something i would like to see more of when we have these kind of thread's.

• Paid Members
You're such a tool. You're disagreeing with me about something that I didn't even say, you just assume I implied.

Bloody hell, talk about going overboard. Did you not read my previous post? I did apologise for misunderstanding you.

As for the insult, I'll let that slide for the mean-time, but if you've got a personal problem with me, I'd rather you show more class than certain individuals and do it by PM, rather than sling them about on the board.

• Paid Members

OK, take it outside gents. The AAA/Carbomb mini-feud is clearly not pre-2000 content.

Whoops, yeah, forgot to acknowledge BR's tremendous post there. Nice work, will go through it properly when I get time and am not at work.

I watched more Doink squashes. There are absolutely loads of them on Youtube. He rode a unicycle all the way down to the ring for one of them. Great stuff. He gives one of the jobbers a balloon on a stick as a consolation prize and then pops it in his face. This is also gold. Some of the moves he busts out when destroying these guys are a joy to behold. Flinging belly to belly suplexes, release germans, the "whoopie cushion" senton to the face, enziguiris, snap suplexes. He's a clinician in that ring yet manages to appear mentally unstable and I personally find him genuinely chilling a lot of the time. At one point he starts to apply a cattle mutilation and then rolls through into a pinning cradle. It was sexy. Jobber kicked out though, which was a mistake. I liked his use of a Bubba Dudley-esque atomic drop straight to the mat as set up for the stump puller too.

The more I watch, the more I realise how much I hate Monsoon's commentary. He has a great voice and I get nostalgic pangs every time I hear it, but he rarely does anything at all to add to the match or put anybody over. He refers to Doink as "The Doinkster", chuckling to himself as he does so. He's a despicable heel who makes children cry! The babyface commentator should not give him a fun little nickname. Jesus. McMahon tries but has all the subtlety of the kids in the audience with their thumbs down. "CLOWNS ARE SUPPOSED TO MAKE PEOPLE LAUGH, HE MAKES PEOPLE CRY. WHAT KIND OF WRESTLER DRESSES IN THAT RIDICULOUS ATTIRE? I HOPE CRUSH CRUSHES HIS CRANIUM!." Fair enough, at least he tries to sell that we dislike Doink, but it's very apparent that only Matt Osborne and Bobby Heenan have a true feel for what the character's about and what makes him so scary. In a different time and without Borne's personal demons that could have been big tings. Oh yeah, and one of the squashes has a Kona Crush promo beforehand. He crushes a pineapple, which his cool (he did enjoy crushing things as a child after all), but holy fuck that accent is shocking. I had totally forgotten about his "Hawaian" twang. Eesh. Doink was wasted on him.

I followed up by watching some of that ECW "Borne Again" stuff. I'm becoming a bit obsessed I feel. Still, it was amazing stuff. Beating up Scorpio and then putting the Doink mask on him, then going backstage and cutting an absolutely mental promo. Totally insane. That whole concept and the execution of it were pure fire, it's a damn shame his drug issues derailed him yet again.

• Paid Members

You talk about Doink, and it is awesome stuff, but Borne's work in Watts' UWF/Mid-South was pretty damn special, too. That comp you get off DVDVR was fuggin' mint - not only do you see Ted DiBiase show his true awesomeness, but you see Borne build himself a pretty solid reputation, which, as you say, his drug problems cost him. A shame.

"Borne Again" was a superb gimmick. It took aspects of the Doink gimmick, mixed them in with the anti-gimmickry of ECW, wrapped them in in a clever name and Shane Douglas' anti-"cartoon wrestling" crusade and made a very small sketch of a masterpiece.

Disappointingly, I can't find the Doink/Jannetty classic on Youtube. I have it on tape somewhere. I may have to go and hunt it down when I get home.

Edit: In looking for it, I did find this forgotten classic.

Edited by Kenny McBride

There's a couple of Doink vs. Jannetty matches on Dailymotion. 2/3 Falls Match is one of them, if that's what you're looking for.

EDIT

Their match from 14/06/1993

2 out of 3 Falls Rematch a Week Later

Part Two

Yep. The first is good, but the 2/3 match is fantastic. Kind of an unusual thing for the WWF at the time too - I don't even think those matches were on Raw, and doing a 2/3 gimmick as a follow-up to the first match was very strange. Great stuff though. Jannetty was awesome when he was on his game. It's a shame he became such a fuck-up. He could have been a very handy 2nd tier guy (flirting with the top level when Bret and Shawn were on top) for the rest of his career if he'd played his cards right.

Right, back to Uncensored 1997.

Mortis vs. Glacier

I didn't expect this to be as good as it was. This was as good a match as you're ever likely to see from Glacier. He was still overdoing it with the kicks, but it worked in this match as he did occaisionally do the odd wrestling move, which the commentators sold as him slowly adding some wrestling to his moveset. Mortis looked absolutely brilliant and that helped things of course. Really good match. ***1/2

Buff Bagwell vs. Scotty Riggs - Strap Match

Got to give points for effort here, as both men absolutely mauled each other for the vast majority of this match. Also appreciated the antics of Buff Bagwell which were hilarious at times. It was awfully long for what they were going for though, and there's only so much whipping and choking with a strap that you can watch without getting bored by it. **

Public Enemy vs. Harlem Heat - Texas Tornado Match

This was like the match which had the template for every WWE brawl you see nowadays. Trashcans and baking trays are the order of the day in this match, and no matter how much the commentators might have been putting this over as the best thing ever, it was very very far from being. Infact, the commentary might have been the highlight of the match as Dusty Rhodes goes into hysterics over a trashcan shot. Poor brawl. *

Prince Iaukea vs. Rey Mysterio Jr.

It's a shame that the fans were just not interested in this, because both guys put on a decent match. Both guys were busting ass big time and the fans hardly let out anymore than a bit of a buzz. Not even towards the end did the fans even pop for the big stuff. Dead crowd, decent match. **1/2

Team nWo ( Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, Randy Savage and Hollywood Hogan ) vs. Team Piper ( Roddy Piper, Jeff Jarrett, Steve McMichael and Chris Benoit ) vs. Team WCW ( Lex Luger, The Giant and Scott Steiner )

This is your main event for the evening and it's stacked. This is reminiscent of a battle royal, where there is too much going on. There's some nice booking going on through the match which makes it watchable. **1/2

OVERALL

Decent PPV actually ! Most of the stuff is watchable and there's a couple of really good matches in there. The main event seems to get a lot of praise although I don't get it myself. You can watch the PPV here.

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/xxxok_...uncensored-1997

I'm gonna go back and watch Starrcade 1988 probably as my next viewing. Already seen Luger/Flair, which was great so I wanna see it again.