The Office - US Version

Vice

I'd really like to see a one-off special with both UK & US casts involved. I'm sure they could devise a scenario whereby the UK team is sent over to the States for a conference/exhibition, based around some kind of temporary partnership; the logistics can be developed by someone more skilled than I.

It would just be fantastic to see Brent and Scott try to outdo each other, along with what the outcome would be. Additionally, it would be quite amusing if Tim and Jim hated each other, despite supposedly being the same character etc. And maybe Big Keith could pull one of the US folks? Seems too good an opportunity to miss!

Just daydreaming...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think its a great show, not as good as the UK version but with a different vibe. The basketball episode is my favourite. My only small gripe is Jim & Pam are too attractive to capture the "could be any of us" feel of Tim & Dawn.

• 9 months later...

This enormous bump comes as finally, those of us that have been waiting for Season 4 in some form over here (be it dvd or on TV) it starts TONIGHT on ITV 4, 8.00 - 9.00. I'll definately be watching as I avoided buying USA versions etc hoping it would finally be seen over here so I'm looking forward to it. Just gonna re-watch the end of season 3 to catch up.

I haven't really looked through this thread as i'm sure it contains spoilers considering how far behind the UK is.

• Awards Moderator

The US is currently about halfway through season 6, which is a bit inconsistent - some average episodes, but also some truly brilliant ones. Saying that, what I class as average in terms if this show is still miles ahead of the usual dross churned out by others. Obviously, you won't want any spoilers, but if you're about to watch season 4 then you're about to see the start of Andy Bernard evolving into one of the great comedy characters in recent years. Seasons 4 and 5 are very, very funny so if you're a fan of it up to season 3, then you're in for a treat.

"......or at least do a bit more with the US series, as he's only written the one."

yeah... it's weird, because I think Woyzeck's criticism of the UK one that it's too much about the ironic racism is an absolute nonsense. But, then, the one episode Gervais and Merchant wrote for the US run was the one where the black guy is a convict. Hmm.

anyway, I love the US version. Andy Bernard and Michael Scott are two of my favourite ever characters.

"I had a big grin on my face the whole time."

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID! THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

• Awards Moderator
I love the 'Nard Dog! I got a coffee mug with his face on and the Dunder Miflin logo on the other side from NBC studios in New York last year.

I'll see your 'Nard Dog mug and raise you this, which I posted in the 'Nerdiest Thing You Own' thread a while back:

13357_199941997278_579012278_4357987_4011327_n.jpg

I'm not ashamed to say this was custom made by a friend and I love it so much, I'm afraid to drink out of it.

I'll see your mug and raise you my Dunder Mifflin Warehouse workshirt, Dwight Shrute bobblehead and Dundie Award.

Seriously, that NBC studios store was Valhalla. I still daren't post in the nerdiest things you own thread, I'd be there quite a while...

Undoubtedly one of my favourite programmes ever, and Baz, you deserve a medal for waiting for the UK to catch up, either on DVD or TV. I'm people will have other candidates, but I think The Office is the most badly managed big time US Import in a long long time.

But yeah, no spoilers, but you're about to enter into (in my opinion), the finest run in the show's history. Season's 4 and 5 were just stunning, the hit to miss ratio is at Arrested Development levels.

I can only assume that as you've waited for The Office to come to TV, you're not of the downloading world. However, if you are, I heartily endorse Parks and Recreation, a show made by the same guys. Much like The Office, it takes 6 episodes to truly find its groove, but Season 2 has been an absolute treat. Plus, some extra Karen Philipelli for you, as Rashida Jones pops up as one of the main cast. Never a bad thing/

Yeah, i'm not a downloader, but that does sound good. My best option was Region 1 dvd. I haven't waited as long as I could have, but longer than I thought I would because what happened was I bought Season 1 at a time I can't remember, watched it liked it and thought nothing more of it really. Last year I caught some of season 2 on Comedy Central in the mornings and thought it was great so bought Season 2, swiflty followed by three and ended up watching both in really rapid time. This was about the middle of last year and Season 4 was due out but never happened (out middle of this year, reg 2, I think) and then it was supposed to be on ITV2 in the autumn, which also never happened. So yeah, it's been a pain considering how quickly I raced through 2 and 3, but not as bad as it could have been

Archived