The Office - US Version

Vice

Just thought I'd bring this back up. I'm halfway through season 5 and it's without a doubt miles better than the UK version. I know it's not really fair because the US one has had a lot more episodes but fuck it. For me the scene where Dwight starts a fire in the office as a safety test is a hundred times better than the Brent dancing scene. All of the characters and their interactions with eachother are brilliant and while the UK version was surely a revolutionary and important comedy show...the US show is alot funnier.

I absolutly pissed myself at that bit, especially Angela with her cat.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer it to the UK version.

I utterly detest Ricky Gervais, but his comedy writing is good. I think, if he didn't insist on being in shows he writes, then I would probably like the UK version.

• Paid Members
Just thought I'd bring this back up. I'm halfway through season 5 and it's without a doubt miles better than the UK version. I know it's not really fair because the US one has had a lot more episodes but fuck it. For me the scene where Dwight starts a fire in the office as a safety test is a hundred times better than the Brent dancing scene. All of the characters and their interactions with eachother are brilliant and while the UK version was surely a revolutionary and important comedy show...the US show is alot funnier.

I absolutly pissed myself at that bit, especially Angela with her cat.

Oh it was just ridiculous how much comedy gold was in that 4 minutes. You had Michael screaming "Everybody calm the fuck down! Fucking calm down!", Oscar destroying the ceiling, the discovery that Angela keeps a cat in a drawer at work, Michael shouting "Every man for himself!", Kevin ripping open the vending machine to steal chocolate, a photocopier being thrown out a window and my favorite part when Dwight let off some firecrackers and Andy screams "THE FIRE IS SHOOTING AT US!". I actually had to rewatch it 3 times I was laughing so hard.

Sorry, just like the add my love for the safety test intro. The most I have laughed at anything for so fucking long (probably Dwight on the hot coals, actually). The normally sensible Oscar climbing through (and falling from) the roof had me genuinely struggling to breath. When the sequence got going just an unstoppable stream of comedy moments I couldn't keep up.

Yeah, start with the 2nd series. Like all sitcoms, be patient and just watch 4/5 episodes even if your not LOL'ing for all 21 mins, I guarantee you'll get into it eventually.

• Paid Members

It's definitely something you need to watch for a while and get into. The characters are much more detailed than in the UK version (plus there are more featured characters), to the point that eventually you can tell exactly what they are thinking just from a facial expression.

The opening scene to last week's episode with Kevin and his massive pot of chilli was fantastic too.

The guy that plays him has the character down to a tee. You can just bet he never has to do any retakes and nails every scene first time.

• Paid Members

I just checked out the fire safety clip and you guys are right. Comedy gold. I loved the cat bit and the "BARACK IS PRESIDENT AND YOU'RE BLACK!!"

• Paid Members
Haven't seen any of season 5 yet, but loved the others, defiantly better than the UK version. Is season 5 still running in the US or has it finished now?

Season 5 is still going and I usually stream the episodes on a friday, the day after they've aired. I laughed at the fire alarm too, but I did think it crossed the surreal line. The adverts on comedy central make the show look like a whacky and surreal festival when its actually a lot better than that.

I dont get the lost love for the first season either. The pilot is poor because they use the british script and the show looks worse because of it, but the other five episodes are decent. The last one with Amy Adams in one of my favourites.

The current season and the forth have been very up and down in quality in my opinion. The last few episodes have been decent but Seasons 2 and 3 are absolute gold and will be in my dvd collection for life.

The current season and the forth have been very up and down in quality in my opinion. The last few episodes have been decent but Seasons 2 and 3 are absolute gold and will be in my dvd collection for life.

Agreed. This current season has been very inconsistent, and some of the episodes have been poor. Looks like they might be running out of good material for it. The last episode (Cafe Disco) was one of the poorer ones, and sort of shows the lack of actual office material they have. They seem to be including more "wacky" stuff this season, as well (eg, the Vances shagging in a toilet, a really dodgy "lift cam" moment with Dwight, the Cafe Disco, the "duel" between Andy and Dwight, etc), which is a big negative for the show.

That all being said, even the poorer episodes are still enjoyable to watch, and it can still produce some brilliant ones (The Golden Ticket, Stress Relief, etc). All it takes is one line from Creed/Toby/Kevin to make something funny, which is the real positive of the show.

Archived