The Office - US Version

Vice

I gave the US version of The Office a chance, even though the first season was a bit lackluster, and now it's easily become one of my favourite TV shows ever. It's a shame that it hasn't been shown cosistently over here and that it's been demonised to a certain extent just for being a remake of a British show, although it's far surpassed the original in my opinion.

What do you think of the US version of The Office?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Ive always loved the show. Some episodes are starting to get a little thin, but its still a great show. Although I read that its guaranteed another two seasons after the curent one finishes, which is almost definately overkill.

I'm glad its getting respect these days though, most people wouldnt give it a chance a few years ago.

• Paid Members
I'm glad its getting respect these days though, most people wouldnt give it a chance a few years ago.

Tried to watch the first episode when Paramount Comedy began touting it earlier this year and just could not get into it. I turned over at the ad break.

What is the premise of The Office? What sort of humour is it? I may be able to enjoy it better if I knew what it were about or what to expect.

Miles and miles better than the UK version, in my humble opinion.

Some of the more recent episodes are stretching the central conceit of the show a little thin (a fly on the wall documentary, but none of them are famous, and the camera has to be in some really weird positions to capture everything).

• Paid Members

What is the premise of The Office? What sort of humour is it? I may be able to enjoy it better if I knew what it were about or what to expect.

Is that a serious question? Its about a group of people who work in a dull office environment. The show focuses on (and gets the most laughs from) The Office Boss Michael who is immature, insecure, ignorant etc, yet a lot more sympathetic than Ricky Gervais's David Brent.

It also features a young chap named Jim who hates his job and is in love with the cute secretary Pam (who happens to be engaged to someone else.) Another thorn in Jim's side is Dwight who sits next to him and is an annoying, nerdy, know it all who craves authority and is a right hand man to Michael.

The show also has a lot more secondary characters than the UK version, who are a lot better written. The Pilot isnt a very good episode either. The first season only has six episodes but by the time I saw the last episode of the six, I was hooked.

Its difficult comparing the UK to the US version. If I picked my favourite 14 episodes of the US version and put them against the UK version, US would probably win. But I cared a lot more about Dawn and Tim's relationship in the Uk version and was more emotional when watching the final episodes. Plus the US version has a large team of rotating writers so its a little unfair to compare them.

Whilst it's a slightly pretentious quote someone described the UK office as entertaining art and the US office as arty entertainment.

I think that quite sums it up, the UK one is genius - but is sort of a comedy/drama thing and worked perfectly with the 12+ episodes they did.

The american one on the other hand is at base a sitcom, it's a very good sitcom with often far better comedy than you get from most american dross - but it has 25ish episode series and is far more ongoing.

Having said all that I really enjoy the american one and it's one of my favourite sitcoms thats still being made.

Whilst it's a slightly pretentious quote someone described the UK office as entertaining art and the US office as arty entertainment.

I think that quite sums it up, the UK one is genius - but is sort of a comedy/drama thing and worked perfectly with the 12+ episodes they did.

The american one on the other hand is at base a sitcom, it's a very good sitcom with often far better comedy than you get from most american dross - but it has 25ish episode series and is far more ongoing.

Having said all that I really enjoy the american one and it's one of my favourite sitcoms thats still being made.

While I thought the UK one was good, to accord it the status of "art" seems to be over-egging the pudding a wee bit.

• Paid Members
They are two different shows. TWO DIFFERENT SHOWS!!!!

Really? Because this sounds kinda familiar:

The Office Boss Michael who is immature, insecure, ignorant etc.

It also features a young chap named Jim who hates his job and is in love with the cute secretary Pam (who happens to be engaged to someone else.) Another thorn in Jim's side is Dwight who sits next to him and is an annoying, nerdy, know it all who craves authority and is a right hand man to Michael.

Is that a serious question? Its about a group of people who work in a dull office environment. The show focuses on (and gets the most laughs from) The Office Boss Michael who is immature, insecure, ignorant etc, yet a lot more sympathetic than Ricky Gervais's David Brent.

I think the question was what type of comedy is the show? As in if you were to compare it to other american comedies then would it be like say 'Friends' or say 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'? Just to name two shows off the top of my head.

I rented the frist 3 seasons on dvd. While I didnt like the episodes that were copys of the Uk version, it really grew into a really great show. Dwight and Jim are hilarious. Looking forward to seeing season 4 (& 5) whenever I can. Its really a totally different show like people have said.

Archived