What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Seen the first episode so far and found it hard follow as to wether they were on a base a some plant or on the space ship as they seemed to be going back and forth :(

Some of these sci-fi programmes are lost on me the way they talk in all that jargon like you are supposed to understand it all lol

...what? Wha was hard to understand? They were on the ship and flashbacked to chart Eli's journey

I'm surprised at the love for Stargate Universe, I watched it with no great expectations and was unimpressed. There's logic flaws all over the place, and it seems obvious that someone high up at their channel went "make the new SG series more gritty, like Battlestar Galactica, and make the main character more like Gaius Baltar". There was the mega-cliched angry army guy, and the audience avatar (the maths / computer genius) pretty much did nothing.

It's like they couldn't decide what they wanted it to be - show in the Stargate universe, or BSG mk.2 - and it ended up not being enough of either. Shame, really. I'll give it another few episodes before I give up on it, but thumbs down for me so far.

Logic flaws? It's Sci Fi. What logic flaws did you notice that aren't explained by the "It's Sci Fi" comment?

• Paid Members

I haven't seen this particular show, but in a broader sense I think it's a lazy argument to suggest that Sci Fi and fantasy shows don't need to be logical because of their nature.

We're required to accept that magical/fantastical things are happening, which is fine, but the rules these shows lay out for themselves need some consistency or suspension of disbelief becomes harder and harder to maintain.

If they made a Star Wars episode 7 where all Jedi could suddenly turn into dragons at will then you could still ask "why the hell haven't we been told that before?" or simply declare "this is bullshit". You accept that they can manipulate the minds of weak individuals and wield a physically impossible weapon because these are the premises that were clearly laid out and explained to you, but this doesn't necessarily mean that you can't ask questions if the rules are changed or broken arbitrarily.

It's like in Harry Potter where they have that device that allows you to turn back time and have a second and third attempt at a particular situation if it goes badly the first time. Why isn't that used again when worse things happen and why was it never introduced before? It's still a fair question even if the fictional universe in which it happens is totally fantastical. You may not be able to say "Oh a magic time travel device, THAT'S REALISTIC!" but you can say "If they can do that, why didn't they do it when...".

Edited by JLM

Logic flaws? It's Sci Fi. What logic flaws did you notice that aren't explained by the "It's Sci Fi" comment?

Right then. Off the top of my head:

* The main kid. The chances of them hiring him rather than just using his solution to the problem, which is a one-time-only deal anyway, and never telling him? Unlikely.

* The ship and its justification of "oh, and earlier ship must have come this exact same way and left stargates for us to visit. Convenient, eh?"

* The heroic sacrifice of the senator guy, when he'd given no indication of that sort of behaviour, and besides had only been on screen for a few minutes, thus giving the viewers no real sense of attachment to him.

* Why didn't the main cast go to a stargate on another safe planet and wait to find out if Earth was okay, rather than randomly jumping through to some place they'd never seen before?

* The ship conveniently having CO2 scrubbers. If it was designed for them to find it, as will no doubt be revealed in a later episode, why not have the screen instructions in a language they can understand?

*The 9th sigil never being mentioned, except in the briefest of passing comments, in any other Stargate show (I got this from my flatmate, who's a pretty dedicated fan, as I've not watched tons of their shows before).

There are lots of issues with it which aren't so much logic flaws as bad writing - why they let such an obvious Baltar-level sociopath as Carlyle's character into such a government-sensitive job; and why use two characters from SG-1 to launch the franchise and then do nothing with them, rather than having the main characters perform some sort of interaction with them for the early part of the show, giving us the regular viewers some sort of emotional connection by proxy.

That's just after a few minutes of remembering the show, I'm sure there are more. It's attitudes like yours - that sci-fi doesn't have to be logically consistent, that's doomed it to fringe discussions of TV. At its best, it's as good as any other genre out there, and in the case of stuff like BSG, is better.

Lie To Me Season 2 started last night on Sky 1, but I haven't watched it yet. Am really bastard excited all the same, it was probably my favourite new show of this year.

Staying with Sky 1, I've got high hopes for that Modern Family show, or whatever it's called, starting next week. The adverts made me laugh a lot, so hopefully it won't let me down.

Other than that, I've just got another probably phenomenal Office US to watch when I get home tonight

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

(JIM AND PAM'S WEDDING Y'ALL!!)

[close spoiler]

");document.close();, and to prepare for when the E4 repeats catch up to it, I've Series linked the new series of Scrubs too.

Regarding Scrubs, I'm about halfway into series 2, and think no differently than I did at about this point in Series 1. It's a totally watchable show and I'm glad to have a 20 minute blast of entertainment when I might need it, but:

a) How anybody can call themselves a 'fan' of it when it's so fucking faux-serious and preachy completely amazes me. It's well, well too shit to actually announce yourself as a lover of it, I think and

b) JD is still an almighty cunt, him and Elliot is a crap relationship I don't totally believe and I hope

things don't work out for him in the end. Carla and Turk, and their relationship is the closest thing to a reality-based scenario in the show too. So far, anyway.

Also, the season two opener when that cunt with the guitar is singing at the characters "I can't get to sleep..." etc, is one of the worst things I've ever had the misfortune of seeing in my life. Shit song, shit idea, and a wasteful, lazy execution of the payoff to a Season 1 Finale that left some pretty cool issues in the air.

Micro men on bbc 4 last night .. pretty good i thought

Wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea (or Java), obviously, but I quite enjoyed this. Liked the part where they're trying to out-metaphor each other in the cafe.

The Mentalist (season 2)
Edited by Just Me

Right then. Off the top of my head:

* The main kid. The chances of them hiring him rather than just using his solution to the problem, which is a one-time-only deal anyway, and never telling him? Unlikely.

* The ship and its justification of "oh, and earlier ship must have come this exact same way and left stargates for us to visit. Convenient, eh?"

* The heroic sacrifice of the senator guy, when he'd given no indication of that sort of behaviour, and besides had only been on screen for a few minutes, thus giving the viewers no real sense of attachment to him.

* Why didn't the main cast go to a stargate on another safe planet and wait to find out if Earth was okay, rather than randomly jumping through to some place they'd never seen before?

* The ship conveniently having CO2 scrubbers. If it was designed for them to find it, as will no doubt be revealed in a later episode, why not have the screen instructions in a language they can understand?

*The 9th sigil never being mentioned, except in the briefest of passing comments, in any other Stargate show (I got this from my flatmate, who's a pretty dedicated fan, as I've not watched tons of their shows before).

There are lots of issues with it which aren't so much logic flaws as bad writing - why they let such an obvious Baltar-level sociopath as Carlyle's character into such a government-sensitive job; and why use two characters from SG-1 to launch the franchise and then do nothing with them, rather than having the main characters perform some sort of interaction with them for the early part of the show, giving us the regular viewers some sort of emotional connection by proxy.

That's just after a few minutes of remembering the show, I'm sure there are more. It's attitudes like yours - that sci-fi doesn't have to be logically consistent, that's doomed it to fringe discussions of TV. At its best, it's as good as any other genre out there, and in the case of stuff like BSG, is better.

Will probably watch the second episode this aftie but I'm intrigued by this sigil bit here. A sigil is supposedly some sort magical symbolism used to make things happen. Comic book writer Grant Morrison explains his experiences of in video that someone(?) on here posted a link to. It also links into conspiracy theories related to occultist Freemasons. So I'm intrigued by this. It makes interesting when something fictional draws on something real or a good chance of being so.

Edited by Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
It's like in Harry Potter where they have that device that allows you to turn back time and have a second and third attempt at a particular situation if it goes badly the first time. Why isn't that used again when worse things happen and why was it never introduced before? It's still a fair question even if the fictional universe in which it happens is totally fantastical. You may not be able to say "Oh a magic time travel device, THAT'S REALISTIC!" but you can say "If they can do that, why didn't they do it when...".

Hermione gets special dispensation from the Ministry of Magic to use one as she's taking a ridiculous amount of lessons, they then use it that same year to help break out Sirius. She drops the extra lessons the next year, so doesn't have the time turner. They then destroy the whole Ministry stock in year (I believe) five. Did you watch the movies and not read the books? The movies are balls.