What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Echoing the Better off Ted love, yet another fantastic comedy cut short far too early. The racial sensitivity one in particular is fantastic. I honestly think Portia De Rossi is better in this than Arrested Development (she has such a great character here to play around with, not to say Lindsay Bluth wasn't great either, but this gives her so much to do).

The cast reunited sorta recently for a music video by Lem from the show (who raps under the name Verbal)

Anyone seen Bob Servant Independent? It's a new Scottish comedy about a Partridge-esque local independent candidate trying to win a by-election and it's one of the best new comedies I've seen in a long time. It stars Brian Cox as Bob Servant and is just brimming with farce and tons of little lines that you'll pick up on after repeated viewings. Cox in particular, as you would expect from such an esteemed actor, is spectacular in his role.

It's on BBC2 for Scotland, and BBC4 for the rest of the country. I'd iPlayer it soon before Episode 1 disappears.

Edited by Forrest

• Paid Members

The Following. Just watched the second episode, it's a Kevin Bacon TV show and it's on FOX. I'm enjoying it so far, wasn't really sure what it was gonna be like. It's about a serial killer (played by James Purefoy) but I'm not gonna say any more than that, I don't want to spoil it.

• Paid Members

I agree about Mad Fat Diary - it looked shit from the trailers, but it's actually really good. I was shocked at how dark it got though, like in Episode 2 with the shower scene. It was awful to watch, but in a good way.

The soundtrack is also making me consider giving Oasis a fair chance, because I've had an irrational hatred for them during my entire life.

The Following. Just watched the second episode, it's a Kevin Bacon TV show and it's on FOX. I'm enjoying it so far, wasn't really sure what it was gonna be like. It's about a serial killer (played by James Purefoy) but I'm not gonna say any more than that, I don't want to spoil it.

I'm giving that a go too, as loads of stuff I like has finished up recently and I need to find some new (quality) TV viewing. With House and Fringe ending I have gaps that need filling.

The Following had a good start, and I like Bacon so I'll give it a chance. I also watched the first episode of Utopia and was pleasantly surprised. I generally avoid british drama series, but this one has a very stylist look and was played far straighter than I expected (seems to not be falling into the "trying to be cool" category so far).

• Paid Members

Just caught up with the finale of American Horror Story: Asylum. Well, umm. I've watched this entire season thinking how great it was and an hour a week wasn't enough - exactly as I thought with the first series - but I just feel let down. I don't think it was very good at all and I'm disappointed.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

It would've been a great twist if Johnny turned out to be Kit's son instead of Lana's and her baby really had died shortly after birth or something. I think it was all wrapped up too neatly and everyone lives happily ever after.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Anyone else?

• Paid Members
I agree about Mad Fat Diary - it looked shit from the trailers, but it's actually really good. I was shocked at how dark it got though, like in Episode 2 with the shower scene. It was awful to watch, but in a good way.

The soundtrack is also making me consider giving Oasis a fair chance, because I've had an irrational hatred for them during my entire life.

Glad it's not just me, and i fucking knew i'd called it the wrong thing. Bloody Gypos!

That shower scene is a perfect example of what i was talking about. Really brutal, and this week as it ended with her pondering making the call to her shrink was really gut wrenching, didnt slap you in the face with how she was feeling, but you really felt it.

• Paid Members

Glad it's not just me, and i fucking knew i'd called it the wrong thing. Bloody Gypos!

That shower scene is a perfect example of what i was talking about. Really brutal, and this week as it ended with her pondering making the call to her shrink was really gut wrenching, didnt slap you in the face with how she was feeling, but you really felt it.

Her friend is an utter cunt though, and what makes it worse is I know a couple of people like that.

Living out of the hospital, the wife and I caught up on a shitload of our US TV last night thanks to my laptop. Subsequently, what did people think of the latest Office?? Probably be best to stick it in spoilers for the people watching it at UK pace.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I loved the ending. You figured they were building the Jim/Pam tension to that conclusion, but the Brian reveal was good. I've often wondered what would make a suitable finale for the show from the fly-on-the-wall show point of view, which has basically just been abuse of a filming style rather than a loyal format the UK Office stuck to. I liked how they had acknowledged that the crew basically just wanted to stick with Jim and Pam and the rest of the Office was just bonus footage for them. Glad the show is ending but very pleased the final season has been a huge bounce back from the sinking brick that was Season 8. Enjoyable telly all round.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

Anyone watching The Big Reunion? I was a massive 5ive fan back in the day but had no idea of the stuff that went on behind the scenes. I'm living this programme. I'm not loving the way Abs talks though, proper "oh ma god, innit bruv" bullshit. Speak properly!