What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
I just finished watching that, too. Both of the girls came across really badly. At least the one had the sense to keep her real identity hidden, as Im sure the other one has gotten a lot of shit after this show. My favourate part was the girl fell in love with the "boy" who never spoke, and communicated with her via texting, even though they were sitting next to each other. Bizarre. The part at the start when she blamed Zukkerberg for what happpened, because he created Facebook, was also extremely stupid/well edited to make her look bad.

The whole thing was just staggering in how thick she was. She'd met - in person - all four identities, and couldn't tell it was the same person because they wore different hats.

I had a snigger to myself at the end when she was telling the presenter some of the ridiculously inconsistant things that had happened, and the presenter just went "Riiiiiight".

I watched that show too and I was gobsmacked at how stupid the girls were, particularly the one who didn't hide her identity. I couldn't believe she's now dating a guy she met off Facebook, after everything that happened, the stupid stupid girl

Any fans of True Blood on here? So far I think season 5 has been really good.

Also just started The Borgias season 2, good first episode hope it can continue to deliver.

Me, but I thought the last series was pure shite so i haven't bothered with season 5 so far

I wouldn't go as far as calling Season 4 pure shite, but it certainly was the weakest. This season hasn't been bad so far, but my fiancee is slowly going off it and only hanging around for Sam's and Alcide's plot points as what they're doing with Bill/Eric is so far removed from the original source material. And I've been a fan of a lot of the changes they did for the TV series and how they went off in their own direction. This one is going a little bit too far.

• Paid Members

Back onto Arrested Development, I found Season 2 fantastic. The whole arcs with Ann, and Tobias joining the Blue Man Group were just hilarious throughout. Season 3 wasn't all that though.

So yeah, I loved Season 2, Season 1 is alright, and Season 3 seemed to jump the shark almost immediately. That stuff with MR F wasn't funny at all until the payoff episode.

Back onto Arrested Development, I found Season 2 fantastic. The whole arcs with Ann, and Tobias joining the Blue Man Group were just hilarious throughout. Season 3 wasn't all that though.

So yeah, I loved Season 2, Season 1 is alright, and Season 3 seemed to jump the shark almost immediately. That stuff with MR F wasn't funny at all until the payoff episode.

Bollocks. The Mr F stuff was brilliant. Get out of the thread.

• Paid Members

Bollocks. The Mr F stuff was brilliant. Get out of the thread.

It was awful, and it dragged out over 3 or 4 episodes. The only funny part about it was when the family found out and tried to force the wedding, and the payoff with the walking on water illusion.

• Paid Members

Not only do I get a bit of aggro for watching wrestling but also for Arrested Development, but I love it. I cannot wait for the new series and I want to be Lucille when I grow up.

Edited by niff

• Paid Members

I'm dreading the new series of Arrested Development to be honest. It's three perfect seasons of comedy and I loved the ending.

Everything Mitch Hurwitz (the creator) has done since then has been shit and how often are resurrected TV shows any good? I'm just terrified it will ruin the whole thing for me.

Edited by LaGoosh

new-girl.jpg

New Girl

Other than Breaking Bad, my favourite thing on television. I just burned through the season one boxset in about three days. It's that rare comedy where you care about the characters as well as the jokes, and it's their personalities that make it humorous. Zoey Deschanel and Max Greenfield are particularly amazing.

It's also a show that both guys and girls can enjoy; most comedies seem to be aimed at one of the other, but in this you have Deschanel being quirky and girly at the same time as Greenfield being a horrible misogynist (although he isn't one dimensional at all, there's a lot of elements to his character, without ever getting weighty).

Really fun show.

Given my discontent for all things Deschanel, New Girl was probably never going to work for me. I've caught a handful of episode and it's pleasant enough sitcom-by-numbers but there's nothing here that elevates it in the way you're suggesting. Sure, it's streets ahead of dreck like 2 Broke Girls and Whitney but that's more an indictment of those shows than praise for NG.

Are you going to finish off your songs thread, btw?

Are you going to finish off your songs thread, btw?

You mean the 'albums better than Robbie Williams thread'? I'll probably get round to restarting it at some point in the next couple of weeks, barring unforseen circumstances.

As for New Girl, I agree that nothing really 'elevates' it to the echelons of really classic television, I just think it does the little things really well. And it's remarkebly consistent, there haven't been any moments where I cringe or where it gets kind of embarrassing, and a lot of even very good comedies sometimes lurch into that territory. They're doing another season, though, so I imagine it's all pretty downhill, especially since they have twenty four episodes to fill. Exaggerated character traits, increasingly ridiculous (in a bad way) scenarios, overplaying what worked last time - the unfortunate characteristics of a litany of formerly humorous shows that go on a season too long. Hopefully they can avoid it.

Edited by WU LYF 4 LYF