UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Sorry if this has been asked before, but will Virgin be broadcasting Wrestlemania this year? I usually watch it at home on sky but my sky has been playing up so am hoping to watch it at a friends house on virgin but we can't find anything to confirm that it's being shown. Anyone know for definite yay or nay?

Yep, Live the same as Sky. You only get repeats all day on Monday though.

Thanks Phenom, does it show up on the on demand listings the week before, same as sky?

Yeah, but you can't actually order it until the actual Sunday. It can be a pain, but at least they carry it I suppose.

Thank you, at least I don't have to worry about getting the sky fixed before then.

Be careful with Virgin Media lads. Last year, they didn't start showing the event until 45 minutes in. Virgin viewers last year missed the opener, the Orton triple threat match and all but the last 5 minutes of MITB.

Aye, it came on at midnight for most people, but not everyone on Virgin.

And, im not so sure Virgin are going to show WrestleMania, on the Live Events Channel it's not advertising anything, and they usually have the event information up weeks before the actual show, Mania is only 12 days away and it's not even advertising on there yet, Royal Rumble was advertised like a month in advance. Also when you go to more on demand and click future events it doesnt advertise anything there either.

Got a bad feeling about this one.

I just contacted them, they said they ARE showing it. If they decide to take the money, and then not show it, it won't be the first time either though :(

• Paid Members
someone said to me that the first wrestlemania was shown on bbc 1 i find that impossible to believe.

Part of Wrestlemania 1 was shown as part of "World of sport" on ITV back in the day. It wasnt shown all in one go, just random matches i believe.

Hope that helps.

Are you sure? That didn't come up in any of the research I and others did with old copies of the TV times. And British wrestling was on every week between WrestleMania and the end of World of Sport in September 1985. WWF stuff started on ITV in 1987 and before that the only US stuff I know of was Ali-Inoki and some of the US undercard stuff from that broadcast.

• Paid Members
someone told me the otherday that the first wrestlemania was shown on terresteral tv is this correct ?

I read somewhere before that Britain first got to see Wrestlemania 1 and 2 on Sky Movies, just before Wrestlemania 3.

I was under this impression also. A quick google has produced nothing concrete, I know even up to the very early 90's ppvs were still on sky movies as it was pre sky sports. I'd imagine this is a confusion between the wwf stuff that was on ITV sporadically during the dying days of world of sport.

Sky Movies didn't start until 1989. As far as I know, WrestleMania 2 through 5 were on Sky Channel (later Sky One), with WM3 the only one at was live. 6 through 9 were live on Sky Movies, with everything after that on Sky Sports (10 on tape delay) and later Sky Box Office.

• Paid Members
someone said to me that the first wrestlemania was shown on bbc 1 i find that impossible to believe.

Part of Wrestlemania 1 was shown as part of "World of sport" on ITV back in the day. It wasnt shown all in one go, just random matches i believe.

Hope that helps.

Are you sure? That didn't come up in any of the research I and others did with old copies of the TV times. And British wrestling was on every week between WrestleMania and the end of World of Sport in September 1985. WWF stuff started on ITV in 1987 and before that the only US stuff I know of was Ali-Inoki and some of the US undercard stuff from that broadcast.

IIRC it may not of been when Wrestlemania was actually on live, it could of been some time later. But i do recall them showing at least some of the matches, most likely mixed in with the other brit matches, This was around the time the also changed the opening credits to feature some pictures of the bulldogs and various other WWE related wrestlers.

• Awards Moderator
Just brainstorming here. Does Wrestlemania start earlier over here on Sunday? Clocks go forward on Sunday morning, don't they?

Just in case you have your weekends mixed up Baz, Wrestlemania isn't until next weekend (3rd April).

Anyone know where I can get Figure Four, Wrestling Observer & Bryan & Vinny shows for free cos I usually use XWT & PWT but they havent had any shows to download for ages ?

Its not a massive amount. Just stick the money on the table and buy them.

Got to agree with this, it's eight quid a month and you get all the radio shows, the newsletters, and if you're feeling particularly brave, their messageboard. I find that sort of question from boydy insulting, if he wants them that much, pay for them!

someone told me the otherday that the first wrestlemania was shown on terresteral tv is this correct ?

I read somewhere before that Britain first got to see Wrestlemania 1 and 2 on Sky Movies, just before Wrestlemania 3.

I was under this impression also. A quick google has produced nothing concrete, I know even up to the very early 90's ppvs were still on sky movies as it was pre sky sports. I'd imagine this is a confusion between the wwf stuff that was on ITV sporadically during the dying days of world of sport.

Sky Movies didn't start until 1989. As far as I know, WrestleMania 2 through 5 were on Sky Channel (later Sky One), with WM3 the only one at was live. 6 through 9 were live on Sky Movies, with everything after that on Sky Sports (10 on tape delay) and later Sky Box Office.

I don't want to argue too much with someone who's done such extensive research, but 7 was definitely shown the day after on Sky Movies as I remember looking forward to it at school all day on the Monday. Summerslam (Tuesday), Survivor Series (Friday) and Rumble (Sunday) had all been shown a day later too. I would have thought this was the case for 6 too, though this was slightly before my time so I can't say for sure.

As you say 8 was shown live, not sure about 9. 10 was back to being a day later, and then they've been live from 11 onwards.

Edited by summerslam1990