The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

This is why I fear getting into comics as a replacement for Wrestling. So many different arcs, confusing histories, new characters taking on the old heroes costume (like Batman I think). I'm a completest by nature, so it would likely cost me a small fortune too.

I subscribed to The Official Marvel Graphic Novel Collection, as I thought it was a fair place to dabble, and have the first 9 books of the series. Any recommendations from these to start with? Are they considered more 'kid friendly' or do they have a decent adult flavor?

1 The Amazing Spider-Man: Coming Home, Amazing Spider-Man (Volume 2) #30-35

2 Uncanny X-Men: Dark Phoenix, Uncanny X-Men #129-137

3 Iron Man: Extremis, Iron Man (Volume 4) #1-6

4 The Ultimates: Super-Human, The Ultimates 1-6

5 The Amazing Spider-Man: Birth of Venom, The Amazing Spider-Man (Volume 1) #252, 256-259, 300 & Web Of Spider-Man #1

6 Thor: Reborn, Thor (Volume 3) #1-6

7 Captain America: Winter Soldier, Captain America (Volume 5) #8-9 and #11-14

8 The Incredible Hulk: Silent Screams, The Incredible Hulk (Volume 1) #370-377

9 Wolverine: Wolverine, Wolverine #1-4

I'm not a subscriber but my Sister used to pick some up for me as a gift. I've read #1 and #9 years ago, both were very good. Captain America: Winter Soldier is great.

Edited by The Natural

This is why I fear getting into comics as a replacement for Wrestling. So many different arcs, confusing histories, new characters taking on the old heroes costume (like Batman I think). I'm a completest by nature, so it would likely cost me a small fortune too.

I subscribed to The Official Marvel Graphic Novel Collection, as I thought it was a fair place to dabble, and have the first 9 books of the series. Any recommendations from these to start with? Are they considered more 'kid friendly' or do they have a decent adult flavor?

1 The Amazing Spider-Man: Coming Home, Amazing Spider-Man (Volume 2) #30-35

2 Uncanny X-Men: Dark Phoenix, Uncanny X-Men #129-137

3 Iron Man: Extremis, Iron Man (Volume 4) #1-6

4 The Ultimates: Super-Human, The Ultimates 1-6

5 The Amazing Spider-Man: Birth of Venom, The Amazing Spider-Man (Volume 1) #252, 256-259, 300 & Web Of Spider-Man #1

6 Thor: Reborn, Thor (Volume 3) #1-6

7 Captain America: Winter Soldier, Captain America (Volume 5) #8-9 and #11-14

8 The Incredible Hulk: Silent Screams, The Incredible Hulk (Volume 1) #370-377

9 Wolverine: Wolverine, Wolverine #1-4

Just looked into this. If I chose to subscribe now, the options start with 'Pack 2', any ideas what i'd receive if I chose that?

Scott Snyder's next Batman arc is supposed to be revealed tomorrow on DC's website. The next Issue (11) is the culmination of the Court of Owls story, then there's Issue 12 and 0 which are both standalone titles, followed by Issue 13 which is the start of the next year long story arc, which is supposedly featuring his "favourite villain from the rogue's gallery". Should be interesting to see tomorrow.

Also, was just wondering if any of the Batman fans have read Batman Incorporated? The previous run was a bit mind boggling in my opinion and I'm not really sure if I enjoyed it or not, but the 2 latest issues have been pretty good. The most recent issue which shows some backstory for Talia was pretty cool indeed.

• Paid Members

Just looked into this. If I chose to subscribe now, the options start with 'Pack 2', any ideas what i'd receive if I chose that?

Erm, not sure, the website i used didn't mention packs as such. Unless they are talking about them being sent in packs of 2 per month (you can't, for the moment, play catchup by buying a bulk of all volumes so far, due to the big demand at the start). The free gifts are then sent out with each delivery of 2, so you get some gifts with the first delivery, and some with the second.

http://www.graphicnovelcollection.com/collection.html

You do have to be warned that due to the hectic start, there have been delays that has caused some people to get a bit frustrated with the service. Some info is on the thread below, but if you will easily get wound up by the issues that we have had to put up with then you might be best served buying the individual books from other sources. Its been OK for me, i'm not as fussed when I get them, so long as they don't charge me wongly (which they never have) :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/books-liter...rdbacks-21.html

• 1 month later...
Scott Snyder's next Batman arc is supposed to be revealed tomorrow on DC's website. The next Issue (11) is the culmination of the Court of Owls story, then there's Issue 12 and 0 which are both standalone titles, followed by Issue 13 which is the start of the next year long story arc, which is supposedly featuring his "favourite villain from the rogue's gallery". Should be interesting to see tomorrow.

They've already announced who sad villain is on ign.com...

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

. It's joker, who was last seen having his face surgically removed.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Yeah. I did post on that on july 1st saying it's unveiled tomorrow :p

Looking forward to it. Snyder also said he's going to use The Riddler in 2013 too, so that should be good too

I've not read anything since the New 52 reboot, there's 2 separate Batman titles right?

Edit: yes there is, one by Scott Snyder and one by David Finch. I'll check both out.

There's actually now

-Batman

-Batman:The Dark Knight

-Batman and Robin

-Detective Comics

-Batman:Incorporated

plus for weekly short titles there is

-Batman:Legends of the Dark Knight

-Batman:Arkham Unhinged (tied in to the Arkham games)

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Yeah. I did post on that on july 1st saying it's unveiled tomorrow :p

Looking forward to it. Snyder also said he's going to use The Riddler in 2013 too, so that should be good too

CURSES!

I'm really looking forward to it. In fact when I heard about "said villain's" return, I immediately downloaded the build up story on my ipad. I rarely commit to buy a current series, but might have to with this one. Should be a great run.

I've not read anything since the New 52 reboot, there's 2 separate Batman titles right?

Edit: yes there is, one by Scott Snyder and one by David Finch. I'll check both out.

There's actually now

-Batman

-Batman:The Dark Knight

-Batman and Robin

-Detective Comics

-Batman:Incorporated

plus for weekly short titles there is

-Batman:Legends of the Dark Knight

-Batman:Arkham Unhinged (tied in to the Arkham games)

And people say comics can be confusing...

I've ordered the ones I mentioned anyway. I'll subscribe if I like them. I knew the name David Finch rang a bell, he did that Justice league cover, so I'm interested to see his art for Batman. Unless he's given him bouncy tits too.

How does the Marvel GN collection work then? You pay a subscription and it sends you parts monthly like a collectors magazine type thing?

Edited by Harvey Dent

• Paid Members
How does the Marvel GN collection work then? You pay a subscription and it sends you parts monthly like a collectors magazine type thing?

Thats it, there is a new book every 2 weeks, so they send you 2 together every month and chage your ccard 19.98.

60 books in total for the series we think. All fit together with an image along the spines.

I just bought the first collection of Wolverine and the X-Men. I like the idea and I have liked Jason Aaron, and this was a pretty alright start. I'm still not too sure on the new Hellfire club being a bunch of 12 year olds but still I like the characters in the school including Kid Omega and Broo, so I'm tempted to read on.

Also got Schism. I liked the story, it was smart and show the two dynamics of Wolverine and Cyclops and how it all blows up. In fact the fight scene is cool but I much prefer the build up to the fight they use (Cyclops goes for the fucking jugular emotionally). I also liked a story on the end which was cool way to show who went where and why.Probably the best X-Men book I read since I got a copy of Dark Phoenix saga.