The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

Ah yes, the Brown Lady of Raynham Hall. A little backstory:

This photo was taken in 1936 at Raynham Hall in Norfolk, England, by two photographers of Country Life magazine. Raynham Hall was long reputed to be haunted by the ghost of Lady Dorothy Townshend, who died in 1726. The ghost had been seen on many occasions throughout the years when it was spotted descending these stairs by the Country Life photographers, who quickly took a snapshot. This is considered by many to be the most highly regarded and reputable photograph by a ghost yet made.

• Moderators

There's something nobody ever noticed about that until a Fortean Times article pointed it out a couple of years ago. The stairs don't match, particularly on the left. It's just one flight of stairs, not one of those sets with a landing midway down, so that gap on the left where the banister breaks is actually a picture from the wall that's gotten placed there by the double exposure. Everyone was too busy looking at the ghost to see the obvious.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

mable_chinnery_ghost_in_car_famous_ghost_picture-494x334.jpgThis one still shits me up even today.

Fuck me. That should be the very definition of that "when you see it, you'll shit bricks" meme.
Am I really stupid for not knowing what I'm meant to see?

• Paid Members

Yes. Right behind the driver, immediately left of his head there is a dark, mysterious face, with eerie lighting up eyes and eveything.

Looks like a man in the far back seat wearing a pair of glasses to me.

• Paid Members

Yes. Right behind the driver, immediately left of his head there is a dark, mysterious face, with eerie lighting up eyes and eveything.

Looks like a man in the far back seat wearing a pair of glasses to me.
Exactly. But the story goes that there was nobody else in the car when the photo was taken.