Official Darts Thread

Dai

Fair enough, I'm not full of hate for Sky's version or anything, just see it the same way I saw snooker in the 90s when Hendry won everything in sight - yes, I can appreciate his skill, but it's not all that exciting to watch. Although I'm not exactly speaking from a position of auhority, having stopped watching Sky tournaments when I realised it was largely the Taylor show, over and over again.

To illustrate Butch's point the match between Montgomery and Thompson that was just on interactive was very close but woeful quality. I enjoyed the back and forthness of it but it was hard to watch with both players averaging mid 70's and missing tons of doubles

I gave up on Montgomery/Thompson as the standard was so poor. For all the smoke they continue to blow up Montgomery's ass, the guy can not cut it in the big televised events, pretty similar to Colin Osborne in the PDC. Tony Fleet who is playing Wolfie is having an absolute shocker. The guy looks like a bag of nerves, is dropping his arrows, and his first leg featured a 25, a 5 and an 11.

• Moderators

Gurney's on now. He reminds ome of Shepherd. Something about him that's quite unlikable. He's a more than decent player though, young too. I reckon he'll make the switch with Scott Waites after this tournament, or more probably next years.

Edited by ButchReedMark

To illustrate Butch's point the match between Montgomery and Thompson that was Tony Fleet who is playing Wolfie is having an absolute shocker. The guy looks like a bag of nerves, is dropping his arrows, and his first leg featured a 25, a 5 and an 11.

And yet I imagine this won't be the worst performance of the BDO this year, it really is that cack.

Having grown up watching the BDO, I tried to defend it but have given up now as the standard is dreadful.

• Moderators

Scott Mitchell has turned it around from the Sub-Pub he was throwing earlier. It's good watching that smug twat Gurney pout.

With Fitton going out early, anyone reckon he's going to make the jump? I've been expecting him for about the past 3 years.

Edited by ButchReedMark

To illustrate Butch's point the match between Montgomery and Thompson that was Tony Fleet who is playing Wolfie is having an absolute shocker. The guy looks like a bag of nerves, is dropping his arrows, and his first leg featured a 25, a 5 and an 11.

And yet I imagine this won't be the worst performance of the BDO this year, it really is that cack.

Having grown up watching the BDO, I tried to defend it but have given up now as the standard is dreadful.

This. It is awful. The past few finals have being good for drama but that's about it.

• Moderators
Scott Mitchell has turned it around from the Sub-Pub he was throwing earlier. It's good watching that smug twat Gurney pout.

I spoke too soon, he now seems to have returned to playing like he would in a game of Half-It in the local. Fucks Sakes. Gurney's acting like he's already lost, and Mitchell is playing like he can't win.

Fucking hell.

EDIT: WE'VE GONE TO TIEBREAK!

EDIT: And the tiebreak finished. Gurney won by virtue of being less shit in the final set.

That game is the BDO's problem. Gurney starts off brilliantly playing good darts, and Mitchell is throwing 45s, 60s and that kind of thing. He gets two sets up and it's a role reversal. Last set they both play shit, and you've got Tony Green acting like it was Seb Coe vs Steve fucking Ovett.

Edited by ButchReedMark

Yes very true you can always rely on Tony Green to do his Tony Schiavone esq "this is the biggest match in the history of our sport" type line with the "the standard this year is as good as any tournament i can remember" rhetoric ever year despite it declining as each year passes.

A few folk i know who watch the darts argue that the biggest difference in the PDC and BDO is the depth of quality at the top end of the spectrum and that the qualifiers and cannon fodder in the prelims and 1st round of the PDC are just as poor as the earlier rounds in the BDO but with the lack of talent so many of them end of playing each other and getting through resulting in TV displays like Butch and the others mentioned above.

Who realistically would go to the PDC aside from Waites who could hold their own? I know Adams gets big licks of the whole international setup and earning ranking points to keep the whole England captain gimmick going which is fair enough and you've got to respect the loyalty; cushty job and a decent living from darts on the side another reason i've heard so no motivation at his age to go professional.

What about O'Shea ?

Only other one is probably Hankey? I can't stand him but i'd love to see him and all the self promotion come up against the PDC guys and get a big reality check. Also his childish tantrums on front of a PDC crowd would be entertianing; PDC referees seem to be a lot more relaxed then the BDO events and let a lot more go in terms of chanting and rowdy behaviour.

• Moderators

Fucking hell, Wolfie wasn't much better. 26 dart leg to win.

To be fair to the BDO, it wll pick up by the weekend, and the players will be playing off a high 80's-low 90's, which is serviceable, if it isn't amazing. It's almost as if the BDO offer "Collect 6 tokens and play in the world championships" for some of the foreign countries. That's the only way I can think of Robert Wagner being there every year.