Glasgow Helicopter Crash

ultimo the great

I pass the crash site twice a day going to/from work. Just shocking. Hope there are no serious injuries, or of course fatalities.

So close to the Clyde - too early to speculate really, but I wonder if the pilot was trying to ditch into the Clyde or if it happened coincidentally metres from the Clyde.

In the big scheme of things also close to the chopper pad at Finnieston - wonder if it had just left there, or perhaps on it's way back.

Truly shocking.

• Paid Members

Absolutely horrible. There have been reports that it was a police helicopter. There was a gig on tonight and it's Friday night so the place will have been rammed. I've heard reports of some deaths on social media which I hope to Christ are false. Really hoping that this isn't as bad as it could potentially be.

Absolutely horrible. There have been reports that it was a police helicopter. There was a gig on tonight and it's Friday night so the place will have been rammed. I've heard reports of some deaths on social media which I hope to Christ are false. Really hoping that this isn't as bad as it could potentially be.

Heard from a pal of the band that they (the band) all got out ok. Scary stuff indeed, I'm quite a regular visitor to the Clutha, spent last Hogmanay there. Hope everyone gets out ok :/

The pics clearly indicate it is a police chopper.

The other choppers in Glasgow tend to be "bright" ones such as the yellow one operated by Bond services.

Got the telly on. Surreal to see that given how familar the area is to me.

• Paid Members

I passed here yesterday morning. Fucking insane news to wake up too. Absolutely fucking shit insane.

Police helicopters normally take off from the helipad next to the SECC. Black and yellow indicates police helicopter. I imagine this is where this one has came from.

I am sitting here aghast right now, opened mouthed. Am I fucking dreaming?

Prayers go to the families.

I read a comment from Twitter where the guy said that despite the size of Glasgow everyone knows that area, knows that pub and knows someone that drinks there. Used to go in after meetings over in the Gorbals but been a few years since I was last there.

Terrible thing to have happened.

Just been told that the band playing in The Clutha pub in Glasgow was my cousins band and my uncle was in the pub to watch to support him. Thankfully both have not been hurt. My uncle said that if he was standing six feet to the left of him he would have been hit by part of the helicopter coming through the roof. So glad my family are safe.

A helicopter pilot interviewed on Radio 5Live early this morning reckons the initial eyewitness reports and the fact that the landing did not immediately bring the roof down suggests that this was some sort of controlled emergency landing. He went onto say that from a height there is a possibility that the black roof may have looked like a car park as there would be no way any pilot would choose to land on a building.

What a tragic story; lets hope the death toll doesn't rise.

A helicopter pilot interviewed on Radio 5Live early this morning reckons the initial eyewitness reports and the fact that the landing did not immediately bring the roof down suggests that this was some sort of controlled emergency landing. He went onto say that from a height there is a possibility that the black roof may have looked like a car park as there would be no way any pilot would choose to land on a building.

What a tragic story; lets hope the death toll doesn't rise.

God - to think how close it is to 2 fair sized out door car parks that would have been empty but for a couple of stray cars.

• Paid Members

I assume it was the same guy who was interviewed in the early hours. As you say, he reckoned the helicopter lost power and although it looked to be plummeting to eyewitnesses, he would have had just enough time to bring it down on a flat surface rather than crash into something and explode. He also explained that after "landing" the rotor and tail would have continued spinning down (ie slowing to a complete stop) which would taken away the last of the lift and effectively have made the helicopter heavier, which is why there seems to have been a delay (long enough for people to exchange words) between the sound of the helicopter hitting the roof and then the roof collapsing.

Archived