General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members
Tarantino's next;

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/02/11/inglou...teaser-trailer/

Looks like a whole load of fun to me!

Brad Pitt is gonna get a lot of shit for that accent.

I cant believe Tarantino is genuine good friends with Eli Roth, who directed part of the film apparantly. More pointless gore please!

Its Tarantino though so I'll give it a chance. Damn him!

Tarantino's next;

Looks fucking brilliant.

Typical Tarrantino IMO, quite an over the top premise which he will make fucking Golden.

Oh and the fact that it's been in the works for fucking years will make it even more special.

Edited by Steveo2007

Tarantino's next;

Looks fucking brilliant.

Typical Tarrantino IMO, quite an over the top premise which he will make fucking Golden.

Oh and the fact that it's been in the works for fucking years will make it even more special.

Wow that random profanity makes you appear well hard. I'd say Death Proof was "quite an over the top premise" too, only he didn't make it "fucking golden", he made it fucking shit. Trailer for this is underwhelming. Nothing wrong with Pitt's delivery there, he's done that style before. I'm more concerned with the presence of Eli Roth, one of the worst filmmakers to emerge in the last decade. Mike Myers is apparently in the film too, with Tarantino revealing that "Mike let it be known that he's a huge fan of my work", so I guess that's all it takes these days. Mickey Rourke has turned down the opportunity to work with Tarantino twice, citing not strong enough material, which QT naturally baulked at.

We all know the guy is a mark for himself, but he's losing the run of himself too. Don't get me wrong, I like the majority of his back catalogue, but this is his make or break film. He's been talking about for years and years and I just have the feeling it's going to be self-indulgent shit.

Tarantino's next;

Looks fucking brilliant.

Wow that random profanity makes you appear well hard. I'd say Death Proof was "quite an over the top premise" too, only he didn't make it "fucking golden", he made it fucking shit. Trailer for this is underwhelming. Nothing wrong with Pitt's delivery there, he's done that style before. I'm more concerned with the presence of Eli Roth, one of the worst filmmakers to emerge in the last decade. Mike Myers is apparently in the film too, with Tarantino revealing that "Mike let it be known that he's a huge fan of my work", so I guess that's all it takes these days. Mickey Rourke has turned down the opportunity to work with Tarantino twice, citing not strong enough material, which QT naturally baulked at.

We all know the guy is a mark for himself, but he's losing the run of himself too. Don't get me wrong, I like the majority of his back catalogue, but this is his make or break film. He's been talking about for years and years and I just have the feeling it's going to be self-indulgent shit.

Your intelligence is brilliant the way you picked apart my excitement there to make me seem simple, well done.

Anyway, I've loved all of Tarrantino's films. I say all, I mean most. I agree that Death Proof was a steaming pile of shit. I ended up just turning it off about half way through as my mind started to wander thanks to the extreme boredom I was suffering at the hands of it. Apart from that I would say he's got a gift of making truly entertaining films, but like most directors he had a miss. In comparison to his numerous hits, I think he can be forgiven and it should be something to get excited about.

I also wouldn't say he's a mark for himself, I would just say that he's aware of his abilities and is enthusiastic about the stories he wants to tell.

Fell free to counter my statement in order to make yourself feel superior, I don't mind. :alien:

• Paid Members

Erm, what exactly were you people expecting from Death Proof? I'd say he achieved exactly what he set out to accomplish and it kept me fairly entertained throughout. Sure, it wasn't up there with his other films but it was never intended to be, it was supposed to be an over-the-top, one dimensional action flick and it was just that.

• Moderators
I'd say Death Proof was "quite an over the top premise" too, only he didn't make it "fucking golden", he made it fucking shit. Trailer for this is underwhelming. Nothing wrong with Pitt's delivery there, he's done that style before. I'm more concerned with the presence of Eli Roth, one of the worst filmmakers to emerge in the last decade. Mike Myers is apparently in the film too, with Tarantino revealing that "Mike let it be known that he's a huge fan of my work", so I guess that's all it takes these days. Mickey Rourke has turned down the opportunity to work with Tarantino twice, citing not strong enough material, which QT naturally baulked at.

Oh, Seven. I feel like you'll think I'm picking on you, but it's getting to the point where every single one of your movie related posts makes me want to ruffle your angry little Faux-Kermode head. I don't see how he's "losing the run of himself." Death Proof was merely an okay movie, but the whole Grindhouse thing was an admitted piece of light, fun, self-indulgence between him and a friend. Both Kill Bills were amazing, and everything before that was great too, so one movie that was a not-wildly-successful experiment (although it did everything it set out to) is hardly a massive downward spiral. It's only make or break in the sense that the old cliche about only being as good as your last film is generally true of most directors. People always detract from Kill Bill saying they were self indulgent too, but it just felt like Tarantino was sharing his love of Shaw Bros type movies with a greater audience, and the films themselves didn't suffer as a result. Citing Mickey "pretty insane" Rourke as a source?

Inglourious Basterds is probably the film I've been most excited about, ever. As a director, I hate Eli Roth and everything he stands for, but he does have a presence about him in the limited cameos and behind the scene stuff I've seen him in, and if he's acting in something, it keeps him away from making Hostel III or some other horrible shit. The Mike Myers thing is supposedly one small scene. It's the role Simon Pegg was up for, but couldn't fit into his schedule, and Myers can do a British accent.

I don't think this will resemble the Inglorious Bastards he's been talking about since Jackie Brown, it seems like he started from scratch. The old version was a "300 page" WWII heist movie, big enough to be a trilogy, and the one role he always talked about, Madsen's Babe Buchinsky doesn't feature anymore.

Edited by Woyzeck

The only Tarrantino film I haven't completely enjoyed so far has been Jackie Brown.

Death Proof I thought was a little one dimensional but was enjoyable enough.

I expect I'll watch this and enjoy it a lot. Seems to be "Reservoir dogs in Nazi Germany" style.

The only Tarrantino film I haven't completely enjoyed so far has been Jackie Brown.

Death Proof I thought was a little one dimensional but was enjoyable enough.

I expect I'll watch this and enjoy it a lot. Seems to be "Reservoir dogs in Nazi Germany" style.

Jackie Brown was a real grower on me. It's now maybe my favourite Tarantino film.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back with the nerd news ;)

A third trailer for the Star Trek film just came out and it's looking good. It's showing the prequel elements as well as the alternate reality stuff. The music helps give it an added epic feel.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/st...ler3_large.html

The one you've all been waiting for..

twelve_rounds936.jpg

I've seen some photos and videos of this and it looks really good actually, looking forward to seeing it sometime.

• 4 weeks later...
The one you've all been waiting for..

twelve_rounds936.jpg

I've seen some photos and videos of this and it looks really good actually, looking forward to seeing it sometime.

I hate to say it, but I'll probably watch this and I sort of enjoyed The Marine