Chris Benoit dead

Scorpion_Deathlock

I'm not saying the schedue doesn't need to be lighter because it does, but there is NO way that WWE would just lose 3 months of TV to give people a rest. the only solution is to give talent more time off from house shows but still have them work TV and PPV events. There is no chance of them just giving up 3 months tv or 3 months live revenue for anything, there really is no point discussing it.

I have read this thread, shocked at what happened, at the attitudes of some on the forum and that out there will be further wrestlers that like Benoit, are a ticking timebomb and no bastard in power is at all interested. Up until this story broke, and degenerated into what it has become, I held Benoit in great regard as a talented technical wrestler. Now, I pity him, his victims and those left to pick up the wreckage.What happened to him? No-one will really know, but having read the 'evidence' I suspect a combination of injuries, both mental and physical, steroid use (not I didn't say abuse as steroids are used to assist in healing as well as muscle development), painkiller use, age, pressure to perform and the forthcoming alleged Title run could have affected him in a way the something tipped him over the edge (- I know from a weightlifter at work that over-use of steroids affects aggression; this guy punched clean through a wall when he lost it one day-) and his wife took the brunt of it. Why did he kill his son? I investigated Fragile X before posting and it is a particularly nasty disability for anyone to have to deal with. Acting as Devil's Advocate, I'll run a scenario:Benoit is at home, on the edge. Something causes him to lose it with his wife, who he strangles in a testosterone-fuelled rage. Then he calms down. What does he do now? He has a dead partner, who he has murdered and is looking a a very long sentence inside; loss of his career (and wrestling meant everything to him, if the previous interviews are to be believed), loss of income and his only child will wake up effectively parentless. In one swift move he has destroyed everything he held dear. He knows his child will end up in care and will not benefit from anything he has worked for and sufferers from Fragile X need continuous attention, so in his mind he does the only option left open to him and smothers his disabled child. He is now a double murderer and has no free life left, so after 'putting his affairs' in order, he takes the only option he can see and hangs himself.Do I feel sorry for Benoit - no. Do I feel sorry for his family - yes, they were in the wrong place at the wrong time; Benoit would have imploded eventually and taken someone with him. It is the way of the WWE to drive its wrestlers hard and if they can't keep up, tough! It is a mincing machine of mental and physical attributes and the remains get spat out if they last long enough; Benoit broke before he was pushed. I should imagine the McMahons will be hoping that no politician will leap on the bandwagon and start interfering with their business...but maybe that is what it will take to safeguard the welfare of the employees.No-one knows what the legacy of Benoit's implosion will be, good or bad for the American industry. All it is at the moment is an hysterical media frenzy with many theories (mine included) and accusations. I hope things will pan out for the good in the end, especially for the remaining 'superstars'....

I'm not saying the schedue doesn't need to be lighter because it does, but there is NO way that WWE would just lose 3 months of TV to give people a rest. the only solution is to give talent more time off from house shows but still have them work TV and PPV events. There is no chance of them just giving up 3 months tv or 3 months live revenue for anything, there really is no point discussing it.

So why not say 4 days before xmas run Raw as normal, tape Smackdown + ECW the next night for the next 2 weeks (run 1 ECW Live) and not run house shows over xmas but run a Raw live in an arena thats near to the majority of wrestlers homes and use as least as possible guys on the show?Then comes the summer do the same thing for 2 weeks and try and one week stack half the storylines on one show and the other half onto the one the week after giving wrestlers 12 days off.It won't work because Americans get 2 weeks holiday a year as average leave where as we average about 4. Giving guys time off is difficult because of storylines but with Smackdown being taped i dont see why they can't double tape smackdown when ECW's contract runs out?

So why not say 4 days before xmas run Raw as normal, tape Smackdown + ECW the next night for the next 2 weeks (run 1 ECW Live) and not run house shows over xmas but run a Raw live in an arena thats near to the majority of wrestlers homes and use as least as possible guys on the show?Then comes the summer do the same thing for 2 weeks and try and one week stack half the storylines on one show and the other half onto the one the week after giving wrestlers 12 days off.It won't work because Americans get 2 weeks holiday a year as average leave where as we average about 4. Giving guys time off is difficult because of storylines but with Smackdown being taped i dont see why they can't double tape smackdown when ECW's contract runs out?
.I would say best, and most likely, scenario is have all talent work 52 live tapings a year or whatever it is. The company to run their normal years worth of live shows and PPV's, minus what they get off during xmas/new year anyway and give each wrestler/talent a certain amount of combined time off each year whislt still fulfilling their TV and PPV duties, that way everybody can get time to rest and stay off the road whilst still keeping the product up to date and fresh with all available talent. I still think the main issue is drugs though, until somebody puts their foot down something liket his will happen again, and unfortunately more and more deaths are going to pop up as the industry becomes more and more competitive.

There doesn't need to be an off-season. Just schedule everyone for three months off every year. If the guy is healthy and hot, it doesn't even need to be consecutive months. He could pre-tape a couple of backstage promos/angles for the weeks he's away and still be on TV every week, but just not wrestling. He'd still get 4 weeks every three months of total rest and recuperation. Combined with proper drug testing and treatment and a bit more care of the psychological side of things, that is as close to a reasonable solution as you're going to get in an industry that pretty much can't run at all without some form of working hurt. And with house shows being such a low priority at the moment, there's no reason why anyone needs to be on anything close to all of them.

I do quite like the idea that Bryan Alvarez keeps pitching, of some kind of talent rotation system whereby people are required to have a certain amount of time off each year, without everyone having to take it at once as would happen in the "off season" scenario. Then you could build up feuds, and once they'd run their course a wrestler could disappear for a while and come back fresh - it'd almost be like a self-contained territory system in a way, just instead of moving to the next town, you get some downtime to keep the person and the character fresh.It'd be quite the logistical pain in the arse to implement, but I think it's the best idea I've heard.edit: Kenny kinda beat me to it there...

Edited by Parkamarka

• Paid Members

Benoit is at home, on the edge. Something causes him to lose it with his wife, who he strangles in a testosterone-fuelled rage. Then he calms down. What does he do now? He has a dead partner, who he has murdered and is looking a a very long sentence inside; loss of his career (and wrestling meant everything to him, if the previous interviews are to be believed), loss of income and his only child will wake up effectively parentless. In one swift move he has destroyed everything he held dear. He knows his child will end up in care and will not benefit from anything he has worked for and sufferers from Fragile X need continuous attention, so in his mind he does the only option left open to him and smothers his disabled child. He is now a double murderer and has no free life left, so after 'putting his affairs' in order, he takes the only option he can see and hangs himself.

She was tied up.

Something tells me that - if this horrible situation is true - Chris Nowinski could be getting involved in this case somewhere down the line with regards to concussions.

Looks like I was right - Nowinski and the doctor he works with is trying to get permission to examine Benoit's brain for evidence of post-concussion syndrome. Edited by BurningHammer

Yep BH you called it matey.Well, Dan Whalers wrote this peice which sums things up quite well.

Dan Wahlers weighs in on the Benoit family tragedy The Benoit Family TragedyFor once in my life, I am at a loss for words. Thereare really no words that can adequately describe how Ifeel about the events of the past two days. Theapparent murder of Nancy and Daniel Benoit at thehands of Chris Benoit, and then his subsequent suicideis just something that I can

Edited by DJ Stevie C

They was a honest read, i am still shocked with everything that has been reported. He is still 1 of my all time favourite wrestlers, but i just dont get why he would do what he did. We will never know.R.I.P Chris, Nancy and David

• Paid Members

I do quite like the idea that Bryan Alvarez keeps pitching, of some kind of talent rotation system whereby people are required to have a certain amount of time off each year, without everyone having to take it at once as would happen in the "off season" scenario. Then you could build up feuds, and once they'd run their course a wrestler could disappear for a while and come back fresh - it'd almost be like a self-contained territory system in a way, just instead of moving to the next town, you get some downtime to keep the person and the character fresh.It'd be quite the logistical pain in the arse to implement, but I think it's the best idea I've heard.edit: Kenny kinda beat me to it there...

I like this idea too, and I think it will actually help in keeping the value of a wrestler. When you see the same guy for 52 weeks a year, you tend to take them for granted. Take them off TV for a bit so they can rest, rehab, spend some time with the family, generally chill, or if they want to, go to OVW and help train the new guys for a few weeks. When wrestlers return from taking time off, be it through injury or whatever, they get a welcome. The audience are usually glad to see them back.

• Paid Members

Meltzer made a good point on a radio show: Eddy Guerrero, Black Cat and Johnny Grunge, who were three of Benoit's closest friends all died within seven weeks, and over the years he's seen Owen Hart, Bad News Brown, Davey Boy Smith, Brian Pillman, Biff Wellington and god knows how many other close friends die at an early age. That's major mental stress.He also added that Benoit was apparantly extremely paranoid and taking much more drugs than usual in the past couple of months.

Guest delirious2007

The whole thing is looking like a guy who couldnt cope with his son being ill, and a wife who wanted to leave him, and he snapped.