The Song Of The Day Thread

Mr. Seven

M.I.A. English/Sri Lankan rap godess. It helps her that it seems everyone is saving their best beats for her (much like the Clipse/Neptunes relationship, seriously there's a Timbaland beat on her new album, it's a good Timbaland beat and it's still not one of the better beats on the album) but that's just because she's more vital, original and interesting than other people out there right now. It's sort of a pop/rap/dancehall fusion thing and it's great. Kind of like Sean Paul except good, with better beats, someone who can rap and interesting lyrics. So not really like Sean Paul at all I suppose.

EDIT - Also she nicks lyrics from The Pixies, Modern Lovers and Blur and makes them work in her stuff, she's great.

Edited by Rob Edwards

• Moderators

Had a listen to them tracks Rob; I wouldn't really call them rap, but I didn't dislike them! The production is real cool; especially Paper Planes...Edit: Alright.. I think I might be hooked - 'World Town' has got me going back for more...

Edited by Who has called me Hage?

To recap quickly - yes, HB Andy, please upload some old school ska - I have some and would very much like to hear more.

My 3 disc box-set came today and needless to say I've already wanked all over it (metaphorically of course), and will be filtering a few tracks from it up on here in the coming few days, lets start from the start and get you In The Mood For Ska - Lord Tanamo PHOENIX CITY - Roland AlphonsoSee how that does for you and I'll get back with some more in due course.

• Paid Members

Just thought I'd bump up this thread with more Beatles, because you can never have too much of a good thing. This one is early and fucking awesome. From the first album, the classic Twist And Shout, which contains one of my favourate endings to any song ever.

The Beatles - Twist And Shout

And, just so you don't think I only ever listen to The Beatles, here's something from the file marked 'No one has ever heard of them but they're bloody brilliant.' I give you Day One. A fantastic group, hard to describe, ambient hip-hop maybe. Anyway, judge for yourself.

Day One - I'm Doing Fine

• Moderators

To recap quickly - yes, HB Andy, please upload some old school ska - I have some and would very much like to hear more.

My 3 disc box-set came today and needless to say I've already wanked all over it (metaphorically of course), and will be filtering a few tracks from it up on here in the coming few days, lets start from the start and get you In The Mood For Ska - Lord Tanamo PHOENIX CITY - Roland AlphonsoSee how that does for you and I'll get back with some more in due course.
Cheers man... I already had the Lord Tanamo one (the only stuff I have is this double album), but I enjoyed the other one. I have heard a cover of it before (maybe on a Give Em the Boot cd?), so it was good to hear the original...