The 2006 UKFF 50~! - Official Results Thread

Big Benny HG

• Paid Members

Well, Lion, you bet wrong........and now owe me a tenner!! Probably.No, the actual number 4 is probably a lot more controversial placing for some UK fans...******************************************************No. 4 - Spud2005 Ranking - 9Moving Upb1be149850.jpgShort-statured, trendy-haired underdog holds onto his Top 10 ranking, and improves it to finish 4th in the overall 50. Spud is another of those that started off in the Midlands, but as word spread his bookings around the country increased, and there has hardly been a promotion that he hasn't featured in at some point.12 months ago, his FWA career saw him in the middle of an increasingly bitter rivalry with Ross Jordan over the FWA Flyweight belt, as Jordan was becoming more and more sneaky and underhand in order to secure it ahead of Spud. This eventually led to a full-blown heel turn from Jordan, with the two of them contesting a really good Ladder match to wrap up the feud in February 2006 at "New Frontiers" in Broxbourne. Spud lost...October 2005 saw the birth of new superpower 1PW, running its "Twist of Fate" show from Doncaster. Spud was booked to be a big (well, you know what I mean) part of 1PW from the outset, as he won the only ever "Adenaline Division" contest against 5 others, only to be attacked by US star Abyss following the match. This was a trend that would follow over the next 1PW events, where Spud would try to stand up to the big man, but always saw his efforts thwarted. The constant bully-boy tactics by Abyss (and his partner in crime, "Sterling" James Keenan) saw Spud eventually challenge Abyss for the 1PW World Title in March, in "The Monster's" first defence of the belt after winning the tournament the previous night. Of course, Spud was defeated quickly, but his performance was designed to put him over as the plucky, courageous firecracker who didn't let his diminutive size deter him from a challenge. Spud's rivalry with Keenan escalated, after Keenan continued to interfere in Spud's matches against other British talent, leading to a scrap between the two in an "Iron City Streetfight" in June. Spud has actually been one of the few Brits that 1PW have given a key role to, and has played his part to perfection in a storyline that has tended to be well booked, well paced, and well executed. However, he has lost the support of some fans in that promotion, possibly due to the way he has been forced down their throats, or, more likely, because he isn't a regular TNA or ROH star...Spud also found himself on the PWG card when the SoCal group came over to Orpington in February, playing a big part of a typical PWG 6-man flying+comedy opener, though saw his talents overshadowed by those of Topgun Talwar's inflatable sidekick, Tits McGee...However, he continued his link with US promotions by heading over to America to compete for a number of ROH shows, thanks to Alex Shane's new position. He received a mixed response at first, but left a lasting impression by the end of his tour.Elsewhere, Spud contested brutal and violent feuds with fellow Brummie Jack Storm (who he has faced in literally every promotion he has worked for) in SAS and IPW-UK, and the two clashed a couple of times under more amicable circumstances for FWA. The matches between these two are what launched Spud into the spotlight about 3 years ago (and certainly got me raving about him), and the natural chemistry between the two means that no matter how many times they fight, the result is always enjoyable.In IPW-UK, Spud has now formed the "Dragon Hearts" team with Luke "Dragon" Phoenix, who contested a blinder against Dan Head and Max Voltage in February, and a really sick match with The Kartel the following month. The Hearts then faced the Hated Heroes (Andy Boy Simmonz and Aviv Maayan) in a brilliant match in May. Wins in all of these set up Spud and Phoenix for a tag title shot against Dave Moralez and Spud's perrenial opponent Jack Storm, though the title match has yet to happen, for reasons unknown. They may have to wait even longer, as Spud has now been dragged into the gripping feud between the New Breed and Kris Linnell. Despite all of these impressive showings in IPW-UK, he still hasn't been able to convince the Orpington Old Guy that his name is not STUD...With the possibly exception of Jody Fleisch, I doubt that there is a better underdog babyface performer in the UK today than Spud. His timing, selling, and fantastic facial expressions, tell a brilliant story, and totally captivate the viewer. His exciting flurries of offence and comebacks full of FIRE~! mean that fans cannot help but cheer him. Yes, he tends to be a high-flyer, but it would be an idiot that rejected him as a spot-monkey. Instead, Spud's aerial assaults always make perfect sense in the match as a whole, usually as it is all he has to counter bigger, badder, stronger opponents.There are many who call him over-rated, or even poor, but while he has his detractors, he also has many a supporter, and it is his loyal fanbase that have secured him this stunning position near the top of the UKFF 50~!7e48b0b241.jpg********************************************************

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

Well shit in a bag and punch it! As much as a like Spud I would never have rated him that highly. Don't get me wrong I am not knocking him at all, I really enjoy his work, but number 4 is a suprise to me.By my reckoning that means the 3 guys left are Storm, Burridge, and Williams. Lets see if I can get my bets wrong again. I think the top 3 will be:1. Darren Burridge2. Doug Williams3. Johnny Storm

• Paid Members

*********************************************************No. 3 - "Wonderkid" Jonny Storm2005 Ranking - 2Moving Down5250c77474.jpgA one-place slip doesn't damage a Top 3 finish for the 2nd year in a row for one of the most established, recognisable, travelled, loved and respected performers on the UK circuit. The last 12 months have often seen Jonny positioned and presented as THE top wrestler in the UK, and you can see why.He drew somewhat of a line under his long-running feud with James Tighe and Mark Belton last summer, then saw his FWA career lose a bit of direction or purpose as he took part in various 3-way matches (such as vs. Spud vs. Jody Fleisch in Broxbourne in October. That said, he did manage to put a stop to the "Jonny Storm tribute act" gimmick that Jack Storm had adopted, when he beat both Jack and Spud in another 3-way in Blackpool, which was an exciting, but rushed end to an interesting little side attraction on FWA shows at that time. Jonny's permanent return to the main event scene in the FWA came in 2006, when he went to the finals of the tournament at "New Frontiers", but failed to win the 5-way for the belt. He then challenged new champion Hade Vansen for the title in April at Crunch, but again came up short. However, he was central to the hottest FWA angle of the year, as he was a part of Team FWA which went to war with Team AllStar in Morecambe before packed houses at "Da Dome", and vowed revenge on Vansen after he betrayed them. This led to a super-heated 3-way in July which saw Hade lose the belt, but return after elimination to ensure his nemesis Jonny didn't win it, instead handing it on a plate to Robbie Brookside. Jonny is seen as leader of the FWA in that region, so the outraged fans are looking to him to get revenge for the sins of Hade and regain the belt from the hated All Star Promotions...In IPW-UK, he turned on Jody Fleisch and joined The Untouchables, the lead heel stable of the promotion. Not that the fans cared, since Jonny is one of those that will always be cheered by a certain percentage of any audience because he is that damn good. A lukewarm "grudge" match with Jody followed in March this year, and he followed this up in April when he teamed with the debuting Pac to face Jody and Teddy Hart, and much teasing was made of a potential one-on-one with Bret's nephew somewhere down the line.As the poster boy for British wrestling, Jonny was also immediately brought into the 1PW roster from the beginning, although for his exploits there, you can read the Jody profile above, since they have been linked together throughout their tenure there (as they have throughout their careers). They currently hold the 1PW tag team titles, after a superb tournament final against Christopher Daniels and AJ Styles (AKA Team Civil Partnership), and look set to defend them against other top tandems from around the world.In addition to all of these, Jonny has been just about everywhere else in between. From facing Joey Ryan for the PWG Title at the, erm, PWG show in Kent, to appearing for NPWA in working mens clubs in West Yorkshire; from representing the FWA in their feud with 3CW on Teesside (teaming with, yep, Jody, to face Stevie Lynn and Ice XVII in February, then facing Ice/Dragon Aisu the next month one-on-one), to having high profile positions on just about all of the ROH tour shows in the next few weeks. Jonny is at the very pinnacle of the UK wrestling industry. He is in demand from promoters and fans alike, and luckily, is at the very peak of his form.eb94c6c1ee.jpg*****************************************************So, obviously, that only leaves two more wrestlers left. For those paying attention, you will know that they are "Anarchist" Doug Williams and "Pukka One" Darren Burridge......but who has got the top spot, and who has fallen short? I'll hopefully have the final two up tomorrow. Until then, let the speculation begin!!

Edited by UK Hat Guy

Personally, I wouldn't have pac anywhere near the spot he has based on what i've seen of him.I think Spud deserves a top ten place, just not quite as high as the one he has.I expect Williams to be in the top spot once again.

• Paid Members

Doug is undoubtedly in my mind the better wrestler, but the whole "Pukka" gimmick has gone mental, especially in 1PW. If you look at the T-Shirts in a 1PW crowd there is a whole swathe of orange mother pukka's. I think Doug is the better wrestler but on the whole for entertainment this year I would have to go for Darren Burridge.

• Paid Members

***************************************************No. 2 - "Da Pukka One" Darren Burridge2005 Ranking - 20Moving Up2d3fbc0a61.jpgSHAT IT, YOU SLAAAAAAAAG!!! An 18-place leap sees Burridge just miss out on the top spot, but secures an awesome 2nd place in the UKFF 50~!.The former "Baxter" has had a phenomenal year, and most of that can be attributed to 1PW. After winning the Battle Royal dark match on the first ever 1PW show in October 2005, Burridge has outshone all of the other British talent used by that promotion, and become the most popular domestic member of the roster. After being squahed out of the 1PW title tournament by Abyss, Burridge formed a tag team with Colt Cabana which has seen its popularity soar. Known as Team SHAG (Street Hooligan Adventure Gang), the antics of the team have kept fans entertained both in and out fo the ring. While as a tag team they have been mainly featured in comedy-related contests (including some brilliant exchanges with Southern Comfort), Burridge himself has also been standing out as a top singles competitor, which was evidenced when he had the best match of the entire "Know Your Enemy Weekend" in May against fellow Brit Nigel McGuinness. A slow burn wrestling match that played out brilliantly, it began as a true athletic and respectful sporting contest, but through masterful in-ring storytelling escalated into a spectacle a lot more heated. Great stuff.About this time last year, Burridge also arrived in the FWA on a permanent basis. Whereas his cocky, Essex-boy chav gimmick had previously been used as a heel to gain mega-heat, he was now a popular babyface, going to war with the other chav faction of the FWA, the Manchester Massive (Declan O'Connor and Joey Hayes). While this feud was quietly dropped when the "Goldrush" event in november was cancelled at 4 days notice, Burridge has remained a huge part of the FWA ever since, and has beocme a main-event calibre guy. He was knocked out of the tournament at "New Frontiers" in Februaty by Hade Vansen after an enjoyable match, and started a series of solid matches with James Tighe. Burridge also went on to face Vansen for the FWA British Heavyweight Title in a fantastic match in Cleethorpes in June that saw several fans being used as weapons, and whole gangs of kids physically getting involved to assist Burridge.Staying in the main event scene, Darren has now got himself involved in a 3-way "Essex boys" situation with Jonny Storm and Paul Tyrell that is far form over, and is set to continue at the FWA-affiliated "X-Sports Wrestling" 18+ event in Colchester in October. Other UK promotions the loength and breadth of the land have also tapped into his talents, including FSW, where he had a side-splitting comedy match with the criminally under-rated Dirk Feelgood in July.A brilliant entertainer, Burridge stays true to the traditional British style of wrestling, but modernises it for a contemporary audience by adding plenty of flash, flair and entertainment. Call it "Nu-WOS" if you like, its damn compelling stuff. The fact that Darren has finished ahead of UK mainstays like Jody and Jonny really underlines the progress he has been making, and after finally cracking that elite group he looks like going on to be THE top dog for a long time. Talented, athletic, entertaining, funny, instantly likeable and supremely marketable, the is has been THE year for "Da Pukka One"f7f7c22484.jpg****************************************************No 1 - "The Anarchist" Doug Williams2005 Ranking - 1Holding RankPortrait3.jpgAnd, it won't surprise many to see "The Anarchist" hold onto his top spot. He's been presented to all as the best of British for so long now that I think people almost accept it, and take hi for granted, but to do that is to ignore just how f*cking great this guy actually is.To be fair, though, his tag as "best in the UK" has seen promoters be incredible lazy with him, as they will tend to put him up against foreign guest talent in international exhibition matches as opposed to doing anything meaningful and substantial with him. In FWA, his heel turn in 2005 went absolutely nowhere of note, though he did clash with nemesis Jody Fleisch in a lukewarm match at "New Frontiers" (February 06), before he was called upon to face, yep, international guests at NOAH Limits 2, teaming with Hade Vansen to take on Mohammed Yone and Takeshi Morishima. In fact, Doug faced Yone and Morishima just about everywhere during their stay, including 3CW and 1PW (twice).Away from FWA and 1PW, Doug won the 3CW Title from Stevei Lynn at the 3CW vs. FWA:A show in March, and was roundly booed by the locals. He did right by them at the next show, however, as he promised to defend the belt with pride and honour...only to lose it later that evening in a 6-way to Morishima. Doug has now found himself one of the regulars on the 3CW roster, and his top-of-the-card status sees him clash with Majik in somewhat of a dream match in a couple of weeks in Northallerton, North Yorkshire.Doug also made his long-awaited IPW-UK debut in May, wher he was annoucned as the scheduled opponent for the lastest JC Thunder wrestling style, as he attempted to end his losing streak. The match was mainly a comedy match, but allowed Doug to show off his awesome technical repetoire in entertaining circumstances. He is back in the promotion this month to face Bryan Danielson in Ware.Doug also has some big matches coming up on the ROH UK tour, and is kept very busy by his packed schedule for Pro Wrestling NOAH in Japan, where he has formed a team with fellow UK export Nigel McGuinness.There can be no doubt that Doug is still seen as the very best this country has to offer. The likes of Burridge have closed the gap considerably, however, but while some of his peers may fall by the wayside as new blood (Burridge, Pac, Darkside) make their charges to the top of the card, Doug's place seems assured for some time yet.******************************************************There you go folks....

Edited by UK Hat Guy

Thanks for your time and effort in putting this together, Hat Guy, it's appreciated.Well, I'm not surprised Doug's number one, I would have loved if Burridge made number one, though.

Edited by GIB