Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

I'm looking for a video camera but wouldn't know where to start. I'll be mainly recording outdoors if that makes any difference. I don't want a poor quality picture but at the same time I don't need top end quality either. I'd like to start making videos of some of the places I visit. I know a couple of people who are really good at biking/skating and I'd like to record stuff like that as well.

I'd use a phone or GoPro but as far as I'm aware they're not very good when it comes to zooming and the footage always looks pretty shaky. You can always tell when something's been recorded on a phone too.

Doesn't matter if it's pre-owned but if I look on eBay now I've virtually no idea what's good and what's not. Don't wanna be paying a grand for something but I appreciate I'm not getting anything decent for £20 either.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Right, I've finally got myself an X-Box 360 and a handful of games. One of the things I overlooked was memory, and so now I can't set up a profile or play parts of certain games. What's the cheapest, easiest way to get round this? USB memory stick? Do I just stick it in that USB socket on the back?

So, this red ring of death is actually a real thing. =(

• Paid Members

Riot, why are you doing that job in the first place? Is it to fit hours around university or something? Telesales, especially cold calling, is the lowest of the low.

Quite unfair that comment. Its the only way many people can get some money coming in. Not the easiest or most glamorous job but it's better than nothing.

• Moderators

Right, I've finally got myself an X-Box 360 and a handful of games. One of the things I overlooked was memory, and so now I can't set up a profile or play parts of certain games. What's the cheapest, easiest way to get round this? USB memory stick? Do I just stick it in that USB socket on the back?

Ah shit man, already?! That sucks. I thought they sorted that shit out with the later models. Towel trick time...

• Paid Members

I'm looking for a video camera but wouldn't know where to start. I'll be mainly recording outdoors if that makes any difference. I don't want a poor quality picture but at the same time I don't need top end quality either. I'd like to start making videos of some of the places I visit. I know a couple of people who are really good at biking/skating and I'd like to record stuff like that as well.

I'd use a phone or GoPro but as far as I'm aware they're not very good when it comes to zooming and the footage always looks pretty shaky. You can always tell when something's been recorded on a phone too.

Doesn't matter if it's pre-owned but if I look on eBay now I've virtually no idea what's good and what's not. Don't wanna be paying a grand for something but I appreciate I'm not getting anything decent for £20 either.

What's the budget you're looking at and apart from wanting a zoom is there anything else you want in it. At the min you're looking at either an entry level camcorder or a cheaper end DSLR

• Paid Members

I ran mine upside down for an hour with the red ring of death showing. Worked fine for another 2 years after that. Chests suggestion of the towel trick seems to work for a lot of people too.

What's the budget you're looking at and apart from wanting a zoom is there anything else you want in it. At the min you're looking at either an entry level camcorder or a cheaper end DSLR

Ideally about £300/£350 but I'm happy to get a cheaper camera if it'll do the trick, or pay slightly more if it's worth it. Really I'm just looking for the best value camera for a newbie/hobbyist but one that isn't going to look cheap and nasty on a TV/YouTube.

As for extra features - a decent battery life would be good. Sorry for being vague but I'm not fussy.

• Paid Members

If you're just doing video and you're not bothered about stills, go with a video camera. In it's default state, it'll outperform a DSLR in terms of autofocusing, zoom range and user friendliness.

Stick to the well known brands, the Sonys, Canons and Panasonics, and if possible get one with a filter thread. That way you can get yourself a wide angle adapter for doing the skate stuff.

• Paid Members

I'm on my phone at the min so can't link but at that range you're looking at the lower end canon Legria models. Have a look on YouTube at the quality. The camcorder will have better battery life than a dslr and will let you film for longer ( DSLRs are limited to either 10 min or 30 min depending on make) and will be easier to just use out if the box and have a decent zoom.

A DSLR will give you more options for different styles after you've got used to it and will give you more range for dof and better low light footage.

Go on YouTube and search for canon Legria and compared it to 'canon rebel / 500 / 600 'test footage'

• Paid Members

I ran mine upside down for an hour with the red ring of death showing. Worked fine for another 2 years after that. Chests suggestion of the towel trick seems to work for a lot of people too.

What happens? Does it just turn green again, or do you leave it to cool down before rebooting?

• Paid Members

With mine I just turned it so it was sat on the hard drive on the top, turned it on, got the red ring again, but left it like that for an hour. Turned it off, left it to cool for a couple of hours (only left that long because I had to go out), flipped it right and turned it on. Worked till I traded it in for my PS4

• Paid Members

Was that the only red ring you got?[update] Arse. Mine's turning itself off after about ten minutes.[update update] Now I've got no coloured ring at all.

Thankfully it was just the once. No idea why you have no ring, maybe give the power cord a wiggle?

Archived