Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

• Paid Members

The Finlay match from Friday's Evolve show was really good. I don't think I've watched anything else from the promotion other than the Finlay/Callihan matches.Have ROH showed a non-fucked up version of the show on their site yet? I've not seen the show up for download yet. That's unusual.

• Paid Members

Promotions like these are basically a download based promotion. If you took 5000 ROH fans, I bet 4000 of them are going to download the shows. If you've ever read any forum, they'll basically admit it. The Evolve shows usually take three separate downloads as well, so the motivation isnt even there to download those. It must be hard as fuck to promote wrestling these days. I just can't imagine ever paying money on even a TNA show. If its Brock vs Cena or WrestleMania or SummerSlam fair enough. But, Evolve, ROH and Chikara market themselves to a internet crowd. And the majority of people on the internet will steal your shit no matter how loyal they are to you.

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

Promotions like these are basically a download based promotion. If you took 5000 ROH fans, I bet 4000 of them are going to download the shows.

This is a point I have made several times. These promotions are trying to attract an audience which largely illegally downloads the material for free. The same goes for the KC guy, the Highspots shoots, and in 2012 RF Video (who back in the pre mainstream Internet days used to rake it in by all accounts). It does make you wonder why these people even bother as it must be very disheartening.

• Paid Members

Feinstein's fucked now isn't he? He's always got a sale on, and Highspots bought a lot of his copyrights or something. I remember, he paid out well into six figures a few years ago to Dream Stage Entertainment after they found out he was selling copied Pride DVDs. Wiped him out. I've heard he's completely knackered now. Even Bob Barnett doesn't bother hunting him down.

That's pretty much what I heard. The Internet killed him off as it meant he left his illegal footprints all over the place and a lot of people took action against him, as you say, DSE being the biggest. In the 1999ish I guess RF video shoot interview (I hate to admit but I did order the VHS, and it was actually quite interesting) he talks about all of the tapes he sends out on a weekly basis - the number must have dropped off completely by now.

On a side (and flip note) note, I remember talk years ago on DVDB of RF trying to take a UK tape trader to court (apparently something completely different to the FOH show scandal) but nothing ever came of that as a far as I know and no names were dropped. This was round about the same time Mark Petar vanished so I always thought maybe something happened here after FOH, as I never bought the whole "SST is settling down with family" line that was floating around. Who knows?

• Paid Members

On a side (and flip note) note, I remember talk years ago on DVDB of RF trying to take a UK tape trader to court (apparently something completely different to the FOH show scandal) but nothing ever came of that as a far as I know and no names were dropped. This was round about the same time Mark Petar vanished so I always thought maybe something happened here after FOH, as I never bought the whole "SST is settling down with family" line that was floating around. Who knows?

I have an inkling that may have been Outcast Video, but I'm open to correction on that one. Outcast Video, now that was a trader. I was gutted when they went under.

The Finlay match from Friday's Evolve show was really good. I don't think I've watched anything else from the promotion other than the Finlay/Callihan matches.Have ROH showed a non-fucked up version of the show on their site yet? I've not seen the show up for download yet. That's unusual.

Well its been available to stream since sunday but im on the 6 man tag match and the sound is completely out of sync. It was also a bit iffy at the start of the opening match. Picture quality is pretty shit as well, I don't mean just the usual ROH production issues but the stream just seems to do one low quality video. At least GFL used to have the higher resolution options. I honestly don't see me buying an ROH ippv again for some time Not even specifically related to this ippv but just in general it blows my mind how ROH has gone backwards over the years in terms of production. I have been watching the american dragon two disc dvd and all the footage on their looks 10 times better than anything ROH has produced in years (alot of it from 03, 04 and 05) outside of maybe the HDNET show.

rohyearonedvdfinal.jpg

2002 marked the birth of something special in professional wrestling, something that took the best wrestlers from across the country, brought them all into one place, and allowed them to compete to the absolute best of their abilities. That something was Ring of Honor and this is a look at the bouts that started it all!

From the epic main event of "The Era of Honor Begins" featuring Low Ki, Bryan Danielson, and Christopher Daniels through Xavier vs. Paul London at "Final Battle 2002, that first year of ROH was only a sign of the amazing decade that was to come. Be it Samoa Joe or Homicide, Jay & Mark Briscoe or Spanky, the talent that helped establish Ring of Honor in its infancy still stands as some of the best wrestlers to ever enter the ring and these are the matches that established them as such.

This 2-Disc collection contains 17 matches, many unavailable for several years, showcasing the genesis of Ring of Honor; welcome to "Year One"...

Disc 1

1. Low Ki vs. Christopher Daniels vs. Bryan Danielson...The Era of Honor Begins 2/23/02

2. Low Ki vs. Bryan Danielson...Round Robin Challenge 3/30/02

3. Low Ki vs. AJ Styles...A Night of Appreciation 4/27/02

4. Eddie Guerrero & The Amazing Red vs. The SAT...A Night of Appreciation 4/27/02

5. Low Ki vs. The Amazing Red...Road to the Title 6/22/02

6. Christopher Daniels vs. Low Ki vs. Spanky vs. Doug Williams (ROH Title/60 Minute Iron Man Match)...Crowning A Champion 7/27/02

7. Jay Briscoe vs. Mark Briscoe...Honor Invades Boston 8/24/02

Disc 2

8. Low Ki vs. Xavier (ROH Title Match)...Unscripted 9/21/02

9. Paul London vs. Michael Shane (Steet Fight)...Unscripted 9/21/02

10. Bryan Danielson & Michael Modest vs. Christopher Daniels & Donovan Morgan (ROH Tag Team Title Tournament Finals)...Unscripted 9/21/02

11. Samoa Joe vs. Low Ki...Glory By Honor 10/5/02

12. Bryan Danielson vs. AJ Styles (#1 Contender's Trophy Match)...All Star Extravaganza 11/9/02

13. Low Ki & Steve Corino vs. Shinjiro Ohtani & Masato Tanaka...All Star Extravaganza 11/9/02

14. The SAT, Amazing Red & Divine Storm vs. Special K of Joey Matthews, Deranged, Sim J, Izzy & Angeldust (Scramble Match)...Scramble Madness 11/16/02

15. Xavier vs. AJ Styles (ROH Title Match)...Night of the Butcher 12/7/02

16. Bryan Danielson vs. Paul London (#1 Contenders Trophy Match)...Night of the Butcher 12/7/02

17. Xavier vs. Paul London (ROH Title Match)...Final Battle 2002 12/28/02

2002 marked the birth of something special in professional wrestling,

Indeed it did - Live from Memphis, Tennessee - NWA Total Nonstop Action Wrestling!0.jpg

• Paid Members

I think what is special about Ring of Honor is that 10 years on from its inception, and they still can't stream a wrestling show on the internet or get the lighting correct. That takes something out of the ordinary to be that clueless.

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

I think what is special about Ring of Honor is that 10 years on from its inception, and they still can't stream a wrestling show on the internet or get the lighting correct. That takes something out of the ordinary to be that clueless.

Its moments of clarity that make me feel like a bit of a div liking ROH. Not saying I'm swayed by Ians posts or whatever but its those silly rubbish mistakes that make it look wank. Sorry I like a bit of bells and whisltes with me grappling at times.