Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

• Paid Members

I hope that's the case, I just feel like he's done pretty much everything he can in ROH - unless they get some fresh talent in, which doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon.

• Paid Members

That's a bit shite isn't it? I might get HDNet Vol.2 I suppose

Bitter Friends Stiffer Enemies 2

• Paid Members

Dragon Gate USA: Open The Freedom Gate - Philadelphia, PA - 28/11/09

The first thing I noticed here was that, compared to what I've just seen on ROH or the DG shows in Europe, the picture quality is much clearer, which certainly improves the experience. The crowd, which is lit rather than in darkness, appears to be a good number as well. The show features four themed qualifying matches, and a Four Way Elimination match with the winners, to crown the first Open The Freedom Gate champion.

Generation New: Matt Jackson vs Nick Jackson vs Gran Akuma vs Hallowicked vs Lince Dorado vs Johnny Gargano - The first qualifier features six of the new faces that have had good showings and/or success on the first two DGUSA shows, but as up and comers the six of them only have one space in the finals to fight for. This is basically a sprint from the opening bell, and it's immediately noticeable that while Akuma and Gargano are heels (and got booed during the introductions), that has no relevence during the actual match. Gargano also desperately needs to learn how to throw forearms, as his exchanges (with Akuma mostly, which makes no sense) are embarassing. The only real story in the match is a possible confrontation between the Young Bucks, and Hallowicked and Dorado are basically background performers. After a couple of teases, and after hitting Hallowicked with More Bang For Your Buck, the Jacksons finally get to square off for an exciting one minute sequence at the 6:30 mark, then it's big dives all round before Akuma pins Gargano with a moonsault at 9:29. A fun spotfest.

Redemption: BxB Hulk vs Brian Kendrick - This is a battle between two men who lost on their DGUSA debut, hence Redemption. Kendrick doesn't show much here in the way of exciting offense, with a lot of WWE-esque heel routine stuff, but it actually works well in the context of the match as the crowd were behind Hulk anyway, and Kendrick does take every offensive move that gets thrown at him. Hulk wins with a tight roll-up at 12:23. I definitely enjoyed this.

After the match, Kendrick is sat slumped in the corner of the ring and refuses to budge when Bryce Remsburg urges him backstage. Kendrick ends up cuttting what appears to be a good promo in terms of riling up the crowd, but it also seems a bit rambling and the audio isn't as good on the DVD as the picture. Several more officials and seemingly random people come to ringside, then the camera follows as an unnamed guy climbs into the ring, grabs the mic from Kendrick, and says something along the lines of "hearing a lot of talk but not seeing any action". The guy then blasts one of the random ringsiders, who looks just like Lucky Cannon from WWE NXT, and he and Kendrick work together against everyone else in a convincing scene that kinda resembles the 'riots' Gabe booked in ROH in 2003. I'm assuming this is the DGUSA debut of Jon Moxley, but as he's someone I've only read about to this point and he wasn't named, I guess I'll have to wait and see...

Salute to Skayde: Super Crazy vs CIMA vs Mike Quackenbush vs Jorge 'Skayde' Rivera - Well, this is an odd one to say the least. They obviously wanted Skayde there as a tribute, but this being in the Arena, the crowd are massively behind Super Crazy over everyone else. Crazy supposedly has heat with Rivera, and when Rivera sells a 'leg injury' from a Crazy low dropkick, Crazy is the only one who doesn't buy it and wants to keep attacking. CIMA does some OTT "oh no poor Skayde" facials, yet the crowd don't care in the slightest and Crazy gets the crowd chanting his name with slight expression changes. Rivera then stops selling the ruse, and we go back to what the rest of the match is like - three quarter pace lucha style, because Rivera is old and that's his top pace, and Super Crazy is looking quite chunky as well. Thankfully, CIMA rolls up Rivera for the pin at 9:19. This really isn't all bad, but the bad bits are really bad. The overall package is something you kinda can't help but watch. I guess that's a thumbs up for one-time viewing...

Next Level: Davey Richards vs YAMATO - Yet another entry into to the body of great work amassed by Richards in 2009, and for YAMATO another fine singles showing in Philly to go with the opener at Historic Gate. Richards works the arm towards a Kimura submission, and YAMATO eventually starts working over Richards leg in response. The only problem with working Davey's leg is that, as usual, it doesn't stop him running full pelt into that dive into the crowd when the time comes. In an interesting comparison to a couple of recent ROH events, there's a nearfall for Richards from a German suplex which gets a major crowd response, mostly because it really did seem like YAMATO was down for three here. After also dropping Richards on his head in a couple of other hurty ways for nearfalls, YAMATO wins with Galleria in 21:25. I can't remember if this turned out to be Richards' last DGUSA appearance, but if so it was a great way to go out.

With all four finalists set for the main event, there's a musical interlude with a quick look at their preparation. Shadow boxing appears to be the order of the day, except for YAMATO who is laid out on the floor looking knackered.

Jigsaw vs Eddie Kingston - A fun little eight minuter here. Mike Quackenbush joins us on commentary and pushes a story about how Jigsaw and Kingston are both from the same class in CHIKARA, Kingston mostly leaving CHIKARA behind, and how they have a deep history there with Kingston not really respecting Jigsaw. They sell the story somewhat, but Kingston in Philly is still a fan favourite, and when Jigsaw gets the pin with a top rope double stomp, Quack's shout of "He Did It!" doesn't really ring true. The match was still good for what it was.

Naruki Doi & Masato Yoshino vs SHINGO & Dragon Kid - Holy. Crap. I simply don't have the words for this. Yoshino makes Kid tap to Sol Naciente at 19:56 to end an incredible match. This match simply ties in everything from the two Yoshino vs Kid singles matches in DGUSA before this and the Doi vs SHINGO main event from Historic Gate into twenty minutes of brilliance. It's so good, the Young Bucks are booed for even suggesting they're in the same league when they come out to issue Speed Mucsle an open challenge for a match down the line. Simply essential viewing.

Ooh look, here's Jon Moxley - this time complete with caption - cutting a convincing promo outside in the parking lot. As mentioned, there's a distinct Heath Ledger/Joker air about this. I look forward to more from Moxley.

Open the Freedom Gate Title match: Gran Akuma vs BxB Hulk vs CIMA vs YAMATO - This elimination match to crown DGUSA's first champion simply has no way to follow the tag match that went on before it, and naturally suffers as a result. YAMATO still looks drained from his efforts with Davey Richards to boot. CIMA carries the opening portion with his crazy facials and his attempts to work with Akuma & YAMATO, but even though they're not having any of that, he still doesn't ally himself very well with Hulk, and is pinned by a YAMATO roll-up following an Akuma low blow just past the 5:00 mark. The crowd are somewhat aghast at that.

Akuma and YAMATO then work over Hulk 2-on-1, and much like their tag match in Chicago, it only works as a watchable experience to a certain degree. Hulk has to wait for miscommunication to make his own comeback, but does then come up with some very exciting sequences. I reckon it would have worked better if Gran Akuma had been eliminated by the flurry ending in the Phoenix Splash, but instead it's the (miscalled) FTX at about 11:30 that puts him away. So, to crown the first ever Open The Freedom Gate Champion we end up with the pairing that opened up DGUSA in BxB Hulk vs YAMATO. YAMATO actually gets booed here, so that's a bonus. Most of the spots are based around both guys being exhausted, so it makes logical sense and delights the crowd when Hulk has more left in the tank and drops YAMATO on his head one time too many, scoring the pin at 15:54.

Davey Richards arrives on the scene and challenges Hulk (well, actually he kicks him and helps YAMATO stomp him down a bit), but Dragon Kid arrives on the scene for the save, and as he has the first title shot there's a bunch of motioning between him and Hulk before BxB Hulk finally gets to celebrate with his shiny new belt, and that's our show.

Overall, this is probably the third best of DGUSA's three shows so far. The title tournament suffers overall from the weird fourteen man format, and the title match isn't the best match on the show. That said, this is anything but a bad show, and the storyline progression side of things is coming along nicely - this show leaves you with BxB Hulk vs Dragon Kid as Hulk's first title defence, with Davey Richards (supposedly) and YAMATO as credible challengers, and SHINGO vs Masato Yoshino and Speed Muscle vs The Young Bucks as potential matches to be excited about. There's also the little matter of the absolutely stunning Doi & Yoshino vs SHINGO and Kid bout, which in my mind is my #1 independent bout of 2009 at this point and in my top 3 matches of that year overall. So, another must-see show then...

DVD Extras

Thankfully, they didn't do a FRAY! at this event, instead opting for two pre-show matches:

Kyle O'Reilly vs Adam Cole - Mindless fun, with emphasis on the mindless as they are doing fighting spirit spots before reaching the 4:00 mark. O'Reilly combines a couple of Davey Richards-esque running strikes, a tornado DDT and a brainbuster for the pin at 6:20.

Jon Moxley vs B-Boy - I remember when B-Boy, especially in CZW, was a fairly major independent name, and his performance here including a bunch of hard chops and headdropping suplexes brings it right back. Moxley looks competent in-ring in between taking a beating and one botched spot which he works into the chaotic nature of his character. The crowd DO NOT like Moxley's victory by Fujiwara armbar at 8:44 and boo him out, which is encouraging.

Sadly, there is still a FRAY! on the DVD, from night 2 of the Jeff Peterson Memorial Cup on 21/11/09, which was hosted by FIP and as a weekend was supposedly something of a precursor to EVOLVE. CZW World Heavyweight Champion Drake Younger outlasts Scotty Vortekz, Brad Attitude, Arik Cannon, Flip Kendrick, Dave Cole, Chris Jones and Marion Fontaine. I hate the FRAY! format and couldn't get anything out of this. Oh, and Drake Younger, World Heavyweight Champion?

BxB Hulk & YAMATO vs Roderick Strong & Jay Briscoe - This is from the FIP Third Anniversary Show, 28/09/07. Just to set the scene further, Roderick is FIP World Heavyweight Champion - which again makes me say Drake Younger? Really? - and Mark Briscoe is out injured so Jay is teaming with Roderick rather than defending the FIP Tag Titles. This is by far the best outing from FIP to feature on one of these DVDs so far, but also highlights how far YAMATO in particular has come since. BxB Hulk pins Jay Briscoe with the FTX at 15:58 to end a solid encounter.

Open The Triangle Gate Title Match: BxB Hulk, PAC & Masato Yoshino vs Akebono, Don Fujii & Masaaki Mochizuki - Finally, our Bonus DVD main event is from the Summer Adventure Tag League III in Aichi, Japan, on 16/8/09, with World-1 defending the Triangle Gate titles. We get the full experience here, with entrances including a dancing girls one from BxB Hulk. The match does a good job of making Akebono into an attraction rather than the elephant in the room, with the World-1 team bouncing around and some intriguing interaction between the big man and Yoshino. Eventually the champions manage to get Akebono out of the in-ring action, and then triple team Fujii enough that Yoshino earns submission victory with Sol Naciente Kai at 16:56.

• Paid Members

That tag match was a bit tasty. Nearly finished Civil Warfare - another spectacularly dire Manassas show.

From PWInsider

By Mike Johnson on 2010-08-02 20:55:50

Ring of Honor announced on tonight's ROH on HDNet that former WWE stars Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas would make their ROH debut at the 9/11 ROH Glory by Honor IX event in New York City at the Manhattan Center's Grand Ballroom.

Apparently they'll be facing The Kings Of Wrestling. Might have to end my 2 year absence for buying ROH dvds to get this when its out.

• Paid Members
From PWInsider

By Mike Johnson on 2010-08-02 20:55:50

Ring of Honor announced on tonight's ROH on HDNet that former WWE stars Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas would make their ROH debut at the 9/11 ROH Glory by Honor IX event in New York City at the Manhattan Center's Grand Ballroom.

Apparently they'll be facing The Kings Of Wrestling. Might have to end my 2 year absence for buying ROH dvds to get this when its out.

Damn, I want to see that match.

• Paid Members

A shortish review from me here too, as I'm not feeling great at the moment, and again, the show is a bit shit...

Reverse The Curse - Chicago Ridge, IL - 5/12/09

Colt Cabana opens the DVD with a promo which doesn't seem to convince himself that he's got a realistic chance of winning the title in the main event, let alone anyone else. We'll see how Aries vs Cabana in a Cage works out in 2009, as they did it once already way back in 2005.

Joey Ryan vs Rasche Brown vs Sami Callihan vs Shane Hollister - A really blah Four Corner Survival to open things from an in-ring perspective. Callihan and Hollister have a couple of reasonably hard hitting exchanges, but Hollister doesn't show anything else. Brown's basic power repertoire isn't nearly as over as last time in Chicago, but they seem to want to start an angle where Prince Nana wants to hire him anyway. Ryan does some sleaze and not much else before pinning Hollister withe the Moustache Ride (middle rope swinging neckbreaker, which is also the definition of blah) at 10:06. Next, please...

Pick Six Series: Kevin Steen (1) vs Claudio Castagnoli - The highlight of this is Steen's pre-match - well, not promo, exactly - more like a lament. He talks about his knee being in a state, not really being in shape, his own surprise at beating Chris Hero for the #1 spot in the Pick Six, and how he'll battle because "the #1 spot is all I have". In comparison, Claudio gets an entrance where they change camera angle for each of his different poses, just to show how in shape he is. It's no real surprise, then, when Claudio batters the leg and makes Steen tap in just six and a half minutes to his own Sharpshooter. The match isn't bad, it's just the story is short and to the point.

The Young Bucks vs The House of Truth - This didn't do much for me, the HOT working over Matt Jackson in generic fashion for the most part, with choking and the odd double team the order of the day. It's therefore typical that this is the match where House of Truth actually pick up an ROH victory, taking advantage of a blind tag when the Jacksons attempt More Bang For Your Buck, and a distraction from Truth Martini, to score a pin with a handful of tights in 8:49.

Pick Six Series: Roderick Strong (3) vs Kenny Omega (5) - A weird one, this. I can only assume that our boy Kenny isn't used to wrestling face vs face matches, as he controls almost the entire match here as if working heel, and as a result his charisma doesn't come out and the match doesn't build any real kind of dynamic. Roderick gets practically no offense in bar a few chops until a small flurry at the 12:00 mark, then another at about 17:30, then suddenly puts together his usual combo ending in the Gibson Driver and that's it for Omega at 20:26. Both guys drop a place in the Pick Six as a result of Claudio's earlier victory, so overall this felt a lot like a waste of 20 minutes...

Necro Butcher vs Erick Stevens - There's some good and bad here as Erick Stevens gets his first singles match as part of the Embassy. Unfortunately, while a pre-match brawl that starts as Stevens jumps Necro is good, once they get in the ring and start the match we get 6:37 of boring clubbering. Necro wins by DQ after Stevens blasts him with a chair, which Necro completely no-sells and loads of jobbers rush out as Stevens and Necro again try and tear it up at ringside. Let them fight, but please don't make me watch them wrestle...

Pick Six Series: Tyler Black (4) vs Kenny King - Now, I liked the intensity of this one a lot. Tyler seems particularly focused on making King pay, albeit within the rules of the match, for taking out Jerry Lynn. The usually cocky and arrogant King is knocked off his stride, and seems unsure of his ability to handle Tyler working him over. Of course, when he finally does get the advantage over Tyler, King's cockiness floods back and that just makes Tyler all the more determined. Both guys athleticism comes in as the match moves along towards the faster paced closing sequences, and there's some good nearfalls before Tyler puts King away with a reversal into God's Last Gift at 20:17. My choice for match of the show, and a good sign that Tyler is almost ready for the big belt at this point.

The Briscoes vs The Dark City Fight Club - More clubbering in this one, some good action as well with some suplexes and the odd double-team, but the big problem is they never seem to get above third gear. Mark Briscoe suddenly pins Kory Chavis with a sunset flip out of the corner at 12:11. I guess this gives the Briscoes some momentum heading into Final Battle.

World Title Steel Cage Match: Austin Aries vs Colt Cabana - This is probably the only match on the card that actually gets the crowd really into who's going to win, but it's purely down to Cabana being in his home town, rather than particularly good action. Cabana manages to work some of his usual goofiness into the early going, which kinda sets up the fact it's not going to be a super intense Cage encounter. The Cage itself also seems a bit short, as when they attempt to climb out, just standing on the top rope has their head height over the top of the Cage.

So, it's slow climbing or trying to get through the door for the most part here. They do a couple of falls from that height, but nothing overly extravagant. Cabana has a half hearted attempt at bleeding, which is just about enough to increase the drama of him surviving the brainbuster and Last Chancery. Aries then bleeds more violently, but not until right near the end of the bout, so it doesn't add much to the overall drama of the match. He survives the Billy Goats Curse, then there's some scrambling for the door from both men, then Cabana gets a big Hogan-esque routine going where he pastes Aries into each side of the Cage, then smashes him with the Flying Asshole, only for the Cage to give way and Aries crashes to the floor for the fluke victory at 26:15.

Overall, this was watchable the once, but I'm not going to be seeking repeat viewings of this as any kind of Cage classic. Aries staggers out of ringside with a maniacal smirk on his bloody features as an exasperated Jim Cornette looks on, and a frustrated Cabana is left in the ring. Cornette promises to get him back in the Pick Six so he can win the belt elsewhere then have his first defense in Chicago, as he's now barred from every challenging for the title in Chicago again. Good luck with that ever happening.

With only one of the three longer matches on the show really being worth a second viewing, a Chicago crowd that seemed smaller in number than usual and dead for the most of the action, and a series of bland matches on the undercard, I'd say this one is a show to miss.

DVD run time is 2 hours, 50 minutes - plus as a bonus you get the return to ROH of Pelle Primeau, teaming with Grizzley Redwood to defeat Alex Payne and Bobby Dempsey in a six minute pre-show match. Great!

• Paid Members

Just saw this on PWinsider...

World Wrestling Entertainment has signed Ring of Honor champion Tyler Black a contract, according to multiple sources within the company. At least one WWE source has indicated that Black will be starting officially with WWE in September. I believe Black will be signing a developmental deal, but I don't have that 100% confirmed.

Black, 26, has been with Ring of Honor since 2007 and won the ROH championship in February 2010 from Austin Aries, He is also a former ROH Tag Team champion.

Black has several title defenses scheduled for September, including the 9/11 Glory by Honor Internet PPV, where he will defend against Roderick Strong.

ROH owner Cary Silkin issued a "no comment" when contacted this morning about Black signing.