Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

I saw on PW Torch this morning that Austin Aries came out to Danielson's old ROH music on Friday night.

I bet the crowd reaction upon firstly hearing the music and then after Aries comes through the curtain would have been extremely lively.

• Paid Members
here is a lull after the hot opening and Prazak and Hero go on a tangent on commentary and start talking about random midwest indy guys and Nate Webb hosting a post-show afterparty, which seems completely irrelevent.

Lol, I missed that. More often than not now I switch the commentary off and watch the match with just crowd noise.

• Paid Members

The Big Bang 3/4/10

Kevin Kelly and Dave Prazak on commentary. Whenever I hear Kevin Kelly I always think its 1998 again and Im watching Shotgun.

Phil Shatter vs. Jack Salvation an ok opener between two local guys. They botched a couple of things, but hey, everyone makes mistakes. Most reviews Ive read of this match slated it, but for what it was I didnt think it was too bad. Maybe shouldnt have opened the PPV, but there you go. Shatter wins with a spinebuster.

Davey Richards vs. Kenny King the show gets underway for real with a cracking back and forth matchup between two guys who really ought to be headlining with this match this time next year. Predominantly it was the Davey Richards show, but Kenny King didnt look out of place in there if only that boy could get some consistency. Richards wins with the Clover Leaf at 16.47.

After the match Davey is interrupted in the middle of an awkward babyface promo by Disposable Teens. Could it be? Indeed, Christopher Daniels is back!!!

Necro Butcher vs. Eric Stevens No DQ - this was actually a decent little brawl, but it was part of the Necro/ Embassy feud and therefore means precisely dick. Necro wins with a roll-up in a grudge match.

Rhett Titus vs. Cassandro El Exotico out of all the she-male gimmicks Ive seen in wrestling, Cassandro is by far the most convincing. He and Titus have a decent little match, which is cut short when Cassandro breaks his leg during a dive to the floor. Incredibly, he tries to carry on the match, executing a missile dropkick from the top rope. But common sense quickly prevails, and he rolls up Titus for the quick-finish pin.

Steve Corino & Kevin Steen vs. Colt Cabana & El Generico a very well-laid out and entertaining tag match. The aim of course was to keep Steen and Generico apart to eke a little more anticipation of Generico finally getting his hands on Steen, and it succeeded admirably. Steen powerbombs Generico onto the apron, and then causes the DQ by cracking Cabana with a chair across the back. After the match the heels work over Cabana, and Generico finally gets his hands on Steen, giving him a Yakuza kick, before brawling with him onto the outside. The locker room empties, and thats your lot. Very good old school booking with this feud so far, it has Cornettes fingerprints all over it : they got four months out of the feud without really touching each other. Lets hope the in-ring stuff delivers!

The Kings of Wrestling vs. The Briscoe Brothers superb match, easily one of the best tag team scraps Ive ever seen. You wont see a better tag team outing this year, I guarantee that. The Briscoes and The Kings battle it out for thirty minutes the sheer pace of this thing was unbelievable. It wasnt 100 miles an hour in the vein of some of the Briscoes 2006-07 efforts, but the action was just unrelenting. Enough superlatives this is a must see match, worth the price of the PPV alone. The KOW become two-time ROH tag team champions when Shane Hagadorn gets involved, allowing Hero to put on the golden elbow pad and whack Jay. Claudio makes the cover at 29.50 and thats all she wrote. Amazing match.

Austin Aries vs. Tyler Black vs. Roderick Strong and this one wasnt half bad either. For the first half of the match it was the usual 3 way formula two guys in the ring while the other sells on the outside. But things really picked up in the last fifteen minutes with some choice near-falls and great three-way spots. Tyler Black hits the buckle bomb on Roderick Strong, then Aries hits a pair of brainbusters to send him packing at the 26 minute mark. The only real criticism with this match is that the finish was slightly weak Kenny King ran out and got up on the apron, and had to stand there and allow Aries to clatter into him a couple of times, which looked extremely contrived. Black hits the Small Package driver to retain at 31.03. A very good match indeed, though it probably fell just short of being a classic.

Blue Demon Jr & Magno vs. Super Parka & Misterioso this was a bizarre match to say the least. Pretty much everyone agrees that it shouldnt have been the main event, but apparently they had to do it to keep the natives happy. The first 8 minutes or so are ok, standard lucha stuff. However, the rudos decide to bring a chair in for no apparent reason and start battering the faces. Then Blue Demon takes Misteriosos mask off its not a DQ because he unmasked years ago. Then everyone meanders about the ring slapping each and executing random moves. A couple of high spots, then Magno pins Misterioso with a springboard twisting bodypress. An odd match to say the least, but the crowd seemed to enjoy it.

Overall a couple of incongruous efforts aside - most notably the lucha main event this was an extremely good show, with a couple of very good efforts and an outstanding tag team match.

Edited by Dearly Devoted Dexter

• Paid Members

I read somewhere the other day that Alex Payne has gone to the NOAH dojo. This has to be a rib surely?

I read somewhere the other day that Alex Payne has gone to the NOAH dojo. This has to be a rib surely?

No, He has definately worked some shows for NOAH - I think he has even been in the ring against Marufuji (in a tag match though). I got the impression he was over there more as a student rather than NOAH bringing him as actual talent.

• Paid Members

Hmmm, even so, it's still not right. You'd think they'd take one look at him and say "come back when you can tell us what the inside of a gym looks like".

• Paid Members

Well, while I'm waiting for the next batch of ROH to come through the post (Pick Your Poison, BFSE 2, Civil Warfare and SCOH 5).....

DG :USA - Open The Freedom Gate

Edited by Dearly Devoted Dexter

Hmmm, even so, it's still not right. You'd think they'd take one look at him and say "come back when you can tell us what the inside of a gym looks like".

Its gets better/stranger - upcoming shows apparently feature the following matches

NOAH, 7/16 Odate Citizen Gymnasium

1. KENTA vs. Alex Payne

NOAH, 7/17 Hachinohe Nango Gymnasium

2. Yoshihiro Takayama vs. Alex Payne

Think he might be taking a kicking or 2 over the next few weeks..................

• Paid Members

If the boy comes out of those two in one piece I'll have a shade more respect for him than I did before!

Haraga - I can see why that match wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. I'm a big Richards fan, so I guess I'm inclined to overlook some of his failings. I like what I've seen of YAMATO so far. Looking forward to seeing the two six man's from Phoenix. Just think, if ROH hadn't been such idiots they could have had a piece of all this DG:USA stuff. Ah well .

• Paid Members

ROH on HDNet tapings #13 & #14 - 5/11/09 & 6/11/09

Episode 37 (airdate 7/12/09)

We begin the first tapings of the Cornette era with a new TV intro, then the new Executive Producer holding a meeting with all the talent to announce the Pick Six Rankings System and the six qualifying matches for it, which will be one per episode for these tapings. In a classic Cornette moment, winners apparently get a $2500 bonus from HDNet. Announced are: Delirious vs Kenny King, Colt Cabana vs Claudio Castagnoli, Roderick Strong vs Davey Richards (which gets a "Thank You" chant!), Sonjay Dutt vs Tyler Black, and Mark Briscoe vs Jay Briscoe. Um, that's only five matches. Chris Hero is one notable absentee from that list even though he's at ringside. Austin Aries then comes out and gets into it with Cornette, which all results in Aries vs Kenny Omega vs Strong vs Richards set up for the title on this episode. Nice. This whole segment feels like old school OVW at the Davis Arena as much as ROH, but that's not a bad thing.

Kevin Steen & El Generico vs The Briscoes - This is for a tag title shot at Final Battle. It's pretty standard tag fare for the first ten minutes or so, but the final three or four minutes are pretty hot and just hint at the best stuff between these two teams. Steen is pinned after a combination of moves ending in a Jay Driller at 14:25. Good match.

Straight after that, we go to a Steve Corino pre-taped promo. Why is he coming back to ROH? He mentions national TV, and wanting to be World Champion, but then mentions that "he has his eye on some guys here". Oooh, the mystery. They used some photos from Pro Wrestling Illustrated where you can see ECW logos everywhere, which I found interesting.

Davey Richards then cuts a straightforward promo ahead of the main event, before Mike Hogewood and Dave Prazak have to announce the final Pick Six match - Chris Hero vs Kenny Omega - because Cornette forgot. Oops. Delirious/King and Sonjay/Black are next week, and now it's main event time...

Austin Aries vs Roderick Strong vs Davey Richards vs Kenny Omega - Well, this was damned great. The competitors pair off to start, and the HDNet production - with watchable split screens so you can keep track of everyone - works excellently. The action is fast and furious from the get go, and everyone gets the chance to shine, though the highlight is the closing exchanges between Strong and Richards. No real surprise there. Strong blasts Richards with the Gibson Driver, then Aries jumps in and steals the winning pin at 15:14. One of the most enjoyable matches on HDNet so far, I'd say this is light years ahead of the much more hyped four-way on episode 12.

Just to top off probably the best all-round episode of this show so far, the lights go out and Tyler Black makes his grand return in the entranceway, gesturing at Aries as the show ends.

Episode 38 (airdate 14/12/09)

After some highlights from last week, it's straight into Pick Six qualifying action...

Kenny King vs Delirious - A solid combination of shenanigans, wrestling, fun and hype here. Before the match, there's a clip of Sonjay Dutt putting Daizee Haze in the Camel Clutch from Final Countdown Tour: Boston. The commentators talk up Delirious' recent forays in Japan during the early going, including his victory over KENTA and match with Jushin Liger, and segue that into Liger returning to ROH in Los Angeles at the end of January. The Kenny King vs Jerry Lynn match for that show is then announced in a text scroll along the bottom of the screen, then there's an on-screen display hyping Final Battle on gofightlive.tv. That's all done during the usual type of Delirious match opening with guest shenanigans involving Rhett Titus and Daizee. Then, in the second half the action picks up nicely. Delirious wins with a reversal into a crucifix at 10:20. I guess if you're going to mention Delirious beating KENTA, he needs to be beating Kenny King as well. Good match with yet more good crowd heat.

We then get our first period of filler for this set of tapings, as Jim Cornette and Austin Aries have a backstage segment, Steve Corino hands a jobber a forfeit win before pasting him, there's video hype for the Final Battle iPPV taking place the weekend after this aired, then we're onto an actual squash match...

Erick Stevens vs Remy Marcel - Slap the porpoise in 90 destructive seconds...

Tyler Black vs Sonjay Dutt - Well, the final five minutes or so of this one were pretty fine stuff. The rest is decidely average, with Tyler dominating for quite a long time at the beginning with some clubbery type offense that wasn't that exciting. Sonjay then has his spell in control, during which I was busy thinking how strange it was to see Sonjay vs someone other than Delirious, and how much like OVW at Davis Arena this show suddenly seems. Anyway, when they finally kick things into gear they have some really nice exchanges, and the finish is excellent as a sequence of reversals sees Tyler then power Sonjay into God's Last Gift for the pin at 16:03. This probably would have benefitted from only being 10-12 minutes.

Not as good a show as the previous one, but still good.

Episode 39 (airdate 21/12/09)

Extended recap of the Pick Six matches so far are followed by Shane Hagadorn introducing Chris Hero for an in-ring promo. Understandably, he's pissed that Cornette forgot him in the Episode 37 opening. One wonders how quickly they wrote this into the format. Hero says he's the biggest and strongest in Ring of Honor and out comes Claudio Castagnoli. A graphic appears during the resulting promo saying to go to ROHwrestling.com for Final Battle 2009 results, news and pictures. That's probably not going to bear much relevence to what's happening on screen, now...

Chris Hero vs Kyle O'Reilly - I assume this is set up by Cornette, but the editing doesn't make it clear. This isn't an outright squash as O'Reilly gets to do his trained-by-Davey kicks and stuff and takes Hero to the 5:12 mark before falling to the Death Blow. I don't rate O'Reilly at all at this point. Hero vs Omega for a Pick Six spot is in a couple of weeks, that is to say, on the second night of the tapings...

Necro Butcher vs Joey Ryan - Right at the beginning of this one, Hogewood says "This is a never ending war between Necro and the Embassy." Well, when he's right, he's right. In other news, Necro has had a hair cut between his pre-taped promo and coming out for the match here. The crowd are hot as Necro beats Joey around ringside and bodyslams him into various parts of the front row, but we slide into generic when Ryan takes control in the ring. The action ends with a DQ at 7:50 when Ryan blinds Necro with powder in front of the refeee, then Erick Stevens makes the save from the post-match beat down.

Apparently we're getting a best of next week...

Claudio Castagnoli vs Colt Cabana - Our main event is certainly very European. They stick to the euro-style throughout pretty much, until Cabana wins with a roll-up at 9:40. This is alright but nothing you haven't seen before, and probably better, elsewhere. We then close with a Kidd Russell music video filmed at an ROH TV taping probably back in June, as Ric Flair and Jimmy Jacobs appear in a mostly Cabana-centric video.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Episode 41 (airdate 04/01/10)

We start the new year with episode 41, as the best of that aired on December 28th is officially episode 40. I did skim through the highlights, which especially made the tag scene look great, and there was also just a bit of new footage in a post-match clip of The Briscoes winning the tag titles at Final Battle 2009.

Anyway, remember the wrestling wars of January 4th? Ring of Honor's contribution begins with an injury angle....

Claudio Castagnoli vs Eddie Kingston - We see Kingston laid out backstage to start the show, with his knee seemingly injured and a King of Diamonds playing card left at the scene. Feel the intrigue. This proves to not be enough to keep him out of action, but he's knocked around pretty easily by Claudio and forced to tap to a horse collar in just under five minutes. Still, there's enough there for Hogewood to talk up Kingston's toughness while Prazak loads the compliments onto Claudio.

Some more extensive highlights of Final Battle follow that, with a brief clip of Kevin Steen turning on El Generico, in-ring highlights of the Briscoes title win plus the Kings of Wrestling reuniting, and a post-match Briscoes promo. Must. Catch. Up.

Steve Corino vs Andy Ridge - I didn't get this. Having refused to wrestle a jobber on episode 38, here Corino is in proper attire (and he may not be overweight, but this shows Corino is anything but in shape) and gives 'Right Leg' Ridge plenty of offense before beating him with a reverse tombstone and a lariat in 2:51. Of more interest were his 'Mr Wrestling' trunks...

Davey cuts a promo after that, then an advert for the TV tapings on January 8th and 9th and the LA debut on January 29th is badly edited into a clip where the voiceover tells the story of Black/Aries going to a broadway in NYC. More on that when the time comes.

Rhett Titus vs El Generico - Not a bad singles encounter here, but it's pretty simple. In terms of showcasing strengths, we get a good display of Generico's selling until he makes the big, high impact comeback and scores the pin with the Yakuza Kick in the corner followed by a brainbuster at 9:16. Titus may be improved and can handle a midcard match, but he's still some ways from moving up any further at this point.

Jim Cornette is then talking about our Richards vs Strong main event when he's interrupted by Chris Hero. Cornette produces the King of Diamonds from earlier but Hero says he and Kingston are done. It's Hero vs Kenny Omega in next week's main event, with Joey Ryan vs Necro Butcher no-DQ in support.

Davey Richards vs Roderick Strong - A really strong (no pun intended) main event, if not the most explosive match these two have ever had. This is really good from the get go though, with both men using their knowledge of each other to avoid the others maneuvers. Strong qualifies for the Pick Six with the usual combo of offense ending in the Gibson Driver at 16:10.

Not the strongest show from these tapings, but anyone checking out ROH for the first time on January 4th didn't get anything but solid wrestling in the top two matches in particular.

Episode 42 (airdate 11/01/10)

A few minutes of recap of the Pick Six contenders series starts us off, then it's straight to the ring...

Necro Butcher vs Joey Ryan - No Disqualification - It's no surprise that Necro dominates early on here even with the no-DQ stip making it effectively 3-on-1 with Nana and Osiris in Ryan's corner. It's also no surprise that even with that and numerous shortcuts, Joey Ryan is boring as hell when working over Necro on his own. The Embassy gain control by targetting Necro's leg, which isn't very exciting bar one spot where Ryan smashes Necro's knee through a chair with a flip off the top. Eventually Erick Stevens comes out to help even the sides, only to turn on Necro this time and join the Embassy. Ryan then makes hard work of a simple pin at 9:38. Welcome to the dark side, Stevens.

Colt Cabana vs Tony Kozina - Have you seen Kozina's crazy bumps from the pre-show of Clash of the Contenders yet? You should. Anyway, there's more of that here and Kozina and Cabana team up to make Kozina look a fool (yes, really) as he takes bizarre, waaay OTT slingshots off the ropes and flip bumps. Cabana wins with the Billy Goats Curse at 4:29. Cabana's pre-match promo about the Steeen and Generico split has no relevence on what we see in the match.

A brief recap of Eddie Kingston being ambushed "before last weeks episode" is described as "heinous" by 'Good Ole' Mike Hogewood. Kingston cuts an aggressive, shouty promo after that and blames Hero...

Recap of Sonjay Dutt and Delirious' TV matches (which were taped in early September, but aired in and are dated October) and their DVD match in Boston (which was taped later, but actually happened in September too) hype a submission match between them to "finish things" next week. We also have Cabana & Black vs King & Aries to look forward to, which is a reasonable looking show.

Kevin Steen vs Alex Payne - This may have been taped before Final Battle, but Steen obviously knew what was coming as he punishes Payne here in a no-nonsense fashion with all his big moves bar the top rope ones, finishing Payne with the Sharpshooter at 2:35. A good squash.

Chris Hero vs Kenny Omega - Not only is this for a Pick Six spot, this is also a rematch from the first round of Survival Of The Fittest. Happily, this is one of the rare occasions where the TV bout comfortably exceeds the DVD one for quality. One thing both matches have shown, though, is that Omega may be a good, athletic, fiery, charismatic underdog, but some of his trademark offense is ridiculous. That said, the variation of the stop sign enzuigiri spot here is pretty cool. Omega really gets rolling in the closing stages of the bout, looking as good as he ever has in ROH, and scores the upset by avoiding the loaded elbow and scoring a roll-up pinfall at 15:13. Sweet match.

Briscoe vs Briscoe for the final Pick Six spot rounds out the line-up for next week. Let's get to it then...

Episode 43 (airdate 18/01/10)

Delirious vs Sonjay Dutt - This is pretty crappy for a Grudge match for the most part, with a pretty slow pace and not much in the way of action. The submission stipulation is possibly a hindrance, especially to Sonjay who works over the legs of Delirious for the first half before switching to the back where he does have the Camel Clutch finisher. There's finally some heat in the last couple of minutes when Sonjay pushes Daizee off the apron into the barrier, but she then gets her revenge with a missile dropkick and Delirious capitalises with the Cobra Stretch at 10:58. No more of this feud please.

An Austin Aries promo cut at Final Battle is then aired where he talks about victories over Davey Richards, Kenny Omega and Colt Cabana that I haven't seen yet. Argh. Clips of the Tyler Black draw air over this as well. Aries and Black are in opposite sides of our main event tonight, but first...

Mark Briscoe vs Jay Briscoe - As is to be expected, there's nothing like the action/stupidity of previous Briscoe vs Briscoe encounters from 2002, 2003 or 2007 here. This is very much a TV match with TV match booking and action. The first chunk of the match features a lot of feeling out, the odd suplex and a couple of quicker exchanges, followed by a dive from Jay and a double countout at 10:40 when the brothers break into a ringside fistfight. Jim Cornette then restarts the match, we get some better action - but still nothing special - and Jay picks up a pinfall with a rollup at a further 2:36. A passable match overall.

HDNet finally manage to spell Jushin Liger correctly in a promo for the LA show that's also edited in properly for once, then it's squash match time...

Erick Stevens vs Harlem Bravado - Slap the porpoise in crushing fashion in just 0:40...

Austin Aries & Kenny King vs Tyler Black & Colt Cabana - The final match of this set of tapings is surprisingly reminiscent of something you would see in the main event of a WWE house show. Black and especially Cabana make Aries and King look like buffoons in the early going, forcing them to bump into each other and stumble around. Aries goes out of his way to avoid Tyler during this though, then Cabana gets double teamed for awhile, then when Tyler is finally tagged in things develop into a really good final five minutes or so. Tyler gets his hands on Aries and manages to hit the Buckle Bomb/superkick combo, though Kenny King saves the champion from even being covered, only for Cabana to then pin King shortly after with a Colt 45 variation at 12:09. A fun main event following a formula that does work for the most part.

Overall, this was a tale of two tapings. Night one, that is to say the first three tapings, seemed to have a bigger and hotter than usual crowd, which made things seem a lot better than recently, though taping 37 had better stuff than the later two. Night two (episodes 41-43) seemed much quieter, and the crowd must have been smaller as there was less lighting on them. The main events of those episodes were well worthwhile, but the formula undercard matches were well and truly back by this point. Expect a different format for the review of the next tapings when I finally clear the 2009 DVD backlog...