Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

• Paid Members

The problem Dragon has is that there's really no point in him going back to ROH - he's pretty much wrestled everyone they have there, with the exception of Omega. He'd be daft to go to TNA, as they'd waste him like they do just about everyone who isn't ex-WWE, although he'd get a decent paycheck out of it. I guess. He's in a tough spot, no doubt about that.

The problem Dragon has is that there's really no point in him going back to ROH - he's pretty much wrestled everyone they have there, with the exception of Omega. He'd be daft to go to TNA, as they'd waste him like they do just about everyone who isn't ex-WWE, although he'd get a decent paycheck out of it. I guess. He's in a tough spot, no doubt about that.

Would he do japan? I know he has strong ties with NOAH (as a former GHC Junior champion), and maybe even new japan (as a former IWJP tag champ). Would any of those places take him on? Then again, would dragongate have him?

For some reason, id love to see him as DGUSA champion.

• Paid Members
If he is working in July, than I guess its true that due to the crappy circumstances in which he was let go, the WWE2_bing.gif was nice enough to waive his 90 day no compete clause.

Although I'd imagine there was something in there about not letting him go to TNA for 90 days (like he'd go there).

Can't see him doing much, especially since the WWE will probably just bring him back

From what ive heard, he has to ask to work for certain companies until his 90 days is up. Basically to stop him doing PPVs/TNA. For example his match with DGUSA is a dark main-event, so wont be taped i beleive.

So sucks to be him at the mo. He can work, but has to ring the guy who fired him to ask if he can work.

It far from sucks to be him. He has more options now than ever before safe in the knowledge WWE will be bringing him back eventually.

If he is working in July, than I guess its true that due to the crappy circumstances in which he was let go, the WWE2_bing.gif was nice enough to waive his 90 day no compete clause.

Although I'd imagine there was something in there about not letting him go to TNA for 90 days (like he'd go there).

Can't see him doing much, especially since the WWE will probably just bring him back

From what ive heard, he has to ask to work for certain companies until his 90 days is up. Basically to stop him doing PPVs/TNA. For example his match with DGUSA is a dark main-event, so wont be taped i beleive.

So sucks to be him at the mo. He can work, but has to ring the guy who fired him to ask if he can work.

It far from sucks to be him. He has more options now than ever before safe in the knowledge WWE will be bringing him back eventually.

To be fair WWE have said that, but there is no guarantee on that. For example, if he goes back to ROH, in a year or twos time (because lets face it they wont wait 90s days and jsut re-hire him), what if hes doign really well or roh is doing much better?

or if he gets a decent deal in japan? anything can happen in a short period of time, and it might turn out he picks the easier option for him. I'd love to see him back in wwe, but im not counting on it to be fair.

• Paid Members

To be fair WWE have said that, but there is no guarantee on that. For example, if he goes back to ROH, in a year or twos time (because lets face it they wont wait 90s days and jsut re-hire him), what if hes doign really well or roh is doing much better?

or if he gets a decent deal in japan? anything can happen in a short period of time, and it might turn out he picks the easier option for him. I'd love to see him back in wwe, but im not counting on it to be fair.

Its looking pretty likely that he'll be back there sooner rather than later. If any of those above scenarios (ROH exponentially growing, Deal in Japan) than surely thats a win for Danielson? Definitely wouldnt suck to be him.

Its looking pretty likely that he'll be back there sooner rather than later. If any of those above scenarios (ROH exponentially growing, Deal in Japan) than surely thats a win for Danielson? Definitely wouldnt suck to be him.

What i was saying that sucked, was the fact if he takes any datesd in the 90 days.....he has to call the man that fired him. That sucks, everything else is a win either way!

• Paid Members

According to a recent interview, Davey Richards reckons he's quitting wrestling in December :

"I didn't plan to do this for my career. I've gotten done with paramedic school and have other things I want to concentrate on. I want to get my black belt in jiujitsu and finish the fire academy. I'm married now, too. Ring of Honor has so many talented guys that they don't need me anymore."

Make of that what you will

Edited by Dearly Devoted Dexter

• Paid Members

I'm considering ordering Death Before Dishonor 8 tomorrow. If you guys wouldn't mind I've got a few questions and this seems like the most likely place. Has anyone used the GoFightLive PPV steams before, if so whats the quality like etc? Are they reliable?

Also am I right in thinking it will start at 1AM like WWE PPVS? Do they have the intermissions in there entirety or are they on a tape delay that cuts them out? Whilst I'm at it can you order the PPVs as a repeat rather than live?

Cheers

It'll be interesting to see if they try and tempt him to stay by giving him an ROH title run...

I really don't know what to make of this.

He said he was supposed to retire after the Wolverhampton shows, but ended up changing his mind.

There were rumours that last year was going to be his last year.

Now he's said publically, a couple of times now, he's done by the end of the year.

I'd love for him to get a title run before he does leave.... But that line he said himself rang true:

"Ring of Honor has so many talented guys that they don't need me anymore."

There are more deserving guys, who are willing to stay with the company, who deserve the title first.

Wonder how long he'll hold the PWG title now?

I'm considering ordering Death Before Dishonor 8 tomorrow

good 4 u

If you guys wouldn't mind I've got a few questions

Fire away

Has anyone used the GoFightLive PPV steams before

I have

if so whats the quality like etc?

kinda poor

Are they reliable?

Not really

Also am I right in thinking it will start at 1AM like WWE PPVS?

It starts at 8pm over there, so yeah i guess

Do they have the intermissions in there entirety or are they on a tape delay that cuts them out?

im pretty sure there is no tape delay, they show mostly everything live as it happens, during the intermission they would interject a match from ROHs past on the internet broadcast

can you order the PPVs as a repeat rather than live?

shortly after the initial broadcast, the show will be available to view like a Youtube video on the very same webpage, after you pay for it like normal

Cheers

You too.

wow i really picked apart your post there :D

Edited by Emperorseb

• Paid Members

In case anyone missed it, the Death Before Dishonor VIII iPPV/live event has it's own thread here at the moment

Survival Of The Fittest 2009 - Indianapolis, IN - 10/10/09

Jim Cornette opens the show with a very similar promo to the previous night, then announces that due to his effort in defeat to Austin Aries on said show, Delirious has a bye to the Survival Of The Fittest finals.

The Young Bucks vs The House of Truth - This for my money is better than either of the tag matches on the previous show. There's a more natural face/heel dynamic here, and the HOT seem to display more character than they did vs The Briscoes. There is a lull after the hot opening and Prazak and Hero go on a tangent on commentary and start talking about random midwest indy guys and Nate Webb hosting a post-show afterparty, which seems completely irrelevent. Some of the double teams attempted by the HOT seem like hard work, so when the Bucks make their come back in a much smoother, quicker fashion, the crowd come alive too. More Bang For Your Buck earns the Jacksons the victory in 12:07.

Kevin Steen vs Colt Cabana - The first Survival of the Fittest qualifier is a short yet lethargic affair. The first 90 seconds involves literally nothing happening, there's some VERY basic headlock-centered Britwres, then Steen's bad knee and back see him pinned after missing a Swanton at just 6:50. I'm sure 2010 will see much better between these two.

Rhett Titus vs Roderick Strong - This is better, but the middle portion of the match is very generic, with Rhett's controlling offense consisting of choking and clubbering for the most part. Strong lit the crowd (and Rhett's chest) up with his chops in the early going before taking Titus' offense and trying to come back with his big flurries. Eventually he hits his usual combo ending in an unsteady looking Gibson Driver for the pin in eight and a half minutes.

Kenny King vs Tyler Black - Match quality of the SOTF qualifiers continues to improve here. Tyler jumps King at the beginning because of the angle where Jerry Lynn was taken out on HDNet and pastes him around ringside. Sadly the intensity winds down after a couple of minutes and it turns into a more standard match, with what seems like a lot of irish whips. Credit at least goes to King for maintaining his cockiness level when in control. I liked the finishing sequence a lot, which included King trying to steal the cradle piledriver, then countering out of the Buckle Bomb, before Tyler avoids the double knees and that leaves King in the post-Buckle Bomb position for him to eat a superkick, and that's it at 12:32. Decent match overall.

Claudio Castagnoli vs Petey Williams - Petey may be bland as hell as a personality, with a crap pre-match promo (why on earth is he still doing the Maple Leaf Muscle gimmick anyway?), but credit to him for a good in-ring performance here. Unlike the previous couple of matches, he and Claudio chain together some really nice wrestling sequences without relying on the irish whip-you do a move-another irish whip-now you do a move formula. Claudio wins with a low blow while the ref is distracted followed by a European Uppercut at 9:48. Nice match that leaves you wanting more.

Chris Hero vs Kenny Omega - I was really getting into this, with a fairly slow build but some nice chaining of stuff in general and increasing pace, intensity and personality as the match rolls along, but then the finish lets it down. After hitting a handful of different elbow strikes already with seemingly increasing effect, Hero wins with a rolling elbow and a sloooooow three count at 12:49 after Omega seemingly just doesn't kick out when he should have.

The Briscoes vs Davey Richards and Austin Aries - A bit of a mixed bag, this. Both Aries and Richards have had plenty of matches with the Briscoes, so you know the match is going to be solid, but with Aries standing in for Eddie Edwards to keep Richards from getting a shot at the World title, the resulting story is too predictable to be exciting. It's all about Aries and Richards trying to mesh as a team but at the same time really just trying to outdo each other, until they inevitably have a break down in communication. The Briscoes don't have the spark or momentum at the moment to get the crowd behind them as Aries and Richards beat down Jay, so until the miscommunication comes the match is solid, but just-there wrestling. Aries walks out in the end, then The Briscoes put Richards away with the springboard doomsday device in 18:32.

Survival Of The Fittest Finals: Claudio Castagnoli vs Chris Hero vs Delirious vs Colt Cabana vs Roderick Strong vs Tyler Black - A cracking finale to the show, which was probably well needed. The first part of the match takes awhile to get going, but that's the nature of the beast with the six man elimination format, as no-one wants to be the first to go. The highlight of the first ten minutes is Hero and Claudio being forced to wrestle each other, and coming up with some gentle yet quite fun big man chain wrestling. Hero and Claudio then try to team up against every one else in turn, but aren't able to isolate any one opponent for long enough to earn any eliminations.

Eventually, Cabana turns Claudio into one of Hero's elbows, and Cabana completes a backslide to make Claudio the first eliminated at 23:00. Delirious then pins Cabana immediately with a backslide of his own, and after a double Panic Attack on Black and Hero, Strong pins Delirious with a running boot at 25:00. That leaves Hero vs Strong vs Black, and it's Hero who is next to go after yet again falling to Tyler after a superkick-Buckle Bomb-God's Last Gift combo at 28:38. The crowd pop big for that, then immediately start chanting for Roderick. Uh oh, I bet that wasn't in the script.

With just Tyler and Roderick left, we then get the best one-on-one finale to SOTF since (but probably not surpassing) 2004. Both men kick out of pretty much everything in the other's arsenal for over ten minutes, as the crowd really get into things for the first time since the first half of the show. There's controversy at the finish, of course, because that's the cool thing to do in Tyler Black main events init. Black blasts Roddy with a trio of superkicks for a very, very close nearfall, then blasts him with one more with a build up, ala the Buckle Bomb/superkick combo, and the ref counts three at 39:57 even as Roderick kicks out at what is presumably 3.001. The crowd understandably don't like that, and we don't get a replay or a better angle, so there's no way to tell if it was actually three. Still, the referee's decision is final and all that, and Roderick has to settle with the promise of a rematch.

Up until the main event, there wasn't anything particularly outstanding to recommend Survival Of The Fittest this year. Thankfully for ROH, this main event shows Black and Strong (and Hero and Claudio as well actually) seem ready to step up to the top of the card for good now. They're needed up there for sure, without mentioning Davey Richards who had his own angle with Aries beginning to simmer nicely at this point in the ROH timeline. We'll see how ROH rounds up 2009 shortly, as I'm well and truly fed up of being stuck in last year. DVD run time is 2 hours, 52 minutes, plus a throwaway six man pre-show match in the extras...