Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

I know we probably should be starting a DG USA thread, but after the review on the previous page, I just thought I'd post this here as well:

Dragon Gate USA only drew somewhere between 150 people to 300 max according to several sources online. I know that's a big gap with the smallest being half of the biggest, but I can believe it's that low.

Now people are trying to say that DG USA and ROH are aiming at the same market which is why DG's attendence is so low.... Yeah I could buy that if they were in the same town again like Pheonix. But they're in two completely different countries and ROH is kicking DG USA's ass hard.

I hope the Philly show still goes ahead seen as I've got front row tickets. But I wouldn't be surprised if EVOLVE goes under before DG USA as the show I was at last weekend only just got over a hundred people.

I'd hate to be Gabe right now.

• Paid Members
Damn you DDD, I've watched that show a couple of days ago and was convinced I'd get a review in before you. Dammit. Anyway, I finished the HDNet tapings review from the previous page just now, so it'll be along soon and I can get on with Final Countdown Tour: Boston...

Its not a competition! :laugh:

KOW and Machine Guns went to a DQ last night?!?! Fuck you Pearce.......

Damn you DDD, I've watched that show a couple of days ago and was convinced I'd get a review in before you. Dammit. Anyway, I finished the HDNet tapings review from the previous page just now, so it'll be along soon and I can get on with Final Countdown Tour: Boston...

Its not a competition! :laugh:

KOW and Machine Guns went to a DQ last night?!?! Fuck you Pearce.......

What's wrong with a DQ?

• Paid Members

In one of the most highly anticipated matches of the year? If neither team wanted to do the job they could have just done a 30 minute draw. Instead we get "the Pearce finish".

• Paid Members

It does make you think though, if you've been able to secure the services of a superb tag team from another company, why would you book a finish like that which is bound to piss off your fanbase - especially on the same card as another non-finish? Its not like you get to book the Guns every week.

Two dodgy finishes on the same card for that kind of crowd is a bit iffy, I suppose though it can't really be judged until the DVD comes out to have a proper look at. Perhaps higher ups in TNA insisted on the finish, there's always that possibility as well.

• Paid Members

I thought that, but then if you suspect TNA will pull politics and not want the Guns losing (even though they lose far more than they win on Impact), why book them against your champions?? Either make it non title so the Guns can win, or dont book the match at all.

• Paid Members
I thought that, but then if you suspect TNA will pull politics

Pull politics? Dont you mean, allow a contracted performer to wrestle on another show to help the little guys out? Why would TNA let their wrestlers job on another companies show? That isnt pulling politics at all. If we were kids and I borrowed you Egon and Ray, I'd expect them back without the proton pack plastic lasers snaped in half.

• Paid Members

Why do you care so much about semantics? The result is the same whether I call it "pull politics" or "play hopscotch."

There are plenty of occasions where wrestlers under contract to TNA have lost while wrestling for "the little guys" such as when LAX got beaten by the Briscoes at the tail end of 2008, the point is if this was one of the situations where TNA enforced a caveat of the Guns not losing in exchange for their use (is that better than "politics" since that's such an offensive word??), why book themselves into a corner where neither party in the match can win, and you're forced to book an unsatisfying indecisive finish?

Edited by air_raid_crash

• Paid Members
Why do you care so much about semantics? The result is the same whether I call it "pull politics" or "play hopscotch."

There are plenty of occasions where wrestlers under contract to TNA have lost while wrestling for "the little guys" such as when LAX got beaten by the Briscoes at the tail end of 2008, the point is if this was one of the situations where TNA enforced a caveat of the Guns not losing in exchange for their use (is that better than "politics" since that's such an offensive word??), why book themselves into a corner where neither party in the match can win, and you're forced to book an unsatisfying indecisive finish?

The fact is, if TNA dont want to Guns to lose, its not booking themselves into a corner. I'm sure TNA could give a fuck what the outcome is as long its not one of their performers going down for the three count. It's ROH's problem. If they dont like the terms in which they are getting to wrestlers performing on a internationally broadcast show, then they could say they dont like the conditions and not book them. Im sure they knew what the deal was long before they showed up. So it's not pulling politics if thats how it was agreed upon originally

Edited by Ian_hitmanhart

• Paid Members
I'm sure TNA could give a fuck what the outcome is as long its not one of their performers going down for the three count. It's ROH's problem.

I reckon you mean "couldn't" give a fuck, but you are correct, it is ROH's problem - which is why I suggested booking them to wrestle the Kings was booking themselves into a corner? You're actually validating the point I was trying to make about it being a stupid move.

If they dont like the terms in which they are getting to wrestlers performing on a internationally broadcast show, then they could say they dont like the conditions and not book them.

Yeah. Which is what I said - if they accepted the Guns on that proviso, they should have booked them into a match where they could have won, either non title against the Kings or against different opposition.

The only thing we seem to differ in opinion on is the word "politics," again, semantics. Negotiation, deal-making, politics, hopscotch.

• Paid Members

16 months ago....

"SAPOLSKY!!!"

"Superintendent Silkin!?!?"

"Why is it that the Florida doubleshot has only sold 200 tickets???!?!"

"Well, er, it's a wrestling recession. No! It's TNA's fault! "

"I've had it with you Sapolsky. Your knowledge of wrestling history doesn't seem to extend beyond ECW! Adam Pearce says if I make him booker, he'll copy me his Memphis DVD collection, so book for me he shall."

"You can't do this! Its not my fault! Nothing's ever my fault! I'm starting my own promotion!"

Evolve 1 : Richards vs. Ibushi 16/1/10

Bobby Fish vs. Kyle O Reilly an action-packed opener to kick things off. This is by far the best Bobby Fish match Ive seen to date. Hes one of those guys who people say well he competes in NOAH so he must be good. As Clive Owen said in Croupier, Im sorry sir but thats just not so. Anyway. Kyle O Reilly is Davey Richards student, as utilises a lot of strikes as youd expect, and gets the win in six and a half minutes with a brainbuster.

Chuck Taylor vs. Cheech this is qualifying match for the EVOLVE singles division. And its ok...but to an extent its the same six minute spot-fest that O Reilly and Fish just had. Chuck Taylor hits the Awful Waffle for the win, then complains after the match that someone in the EVOLVE office has it in for him.

Arik Cannon vs. Ricochet I used to enjoy some of Cannons work years ago in IWA Mid-South, but hes so tubby now you just cant take him seriously. You cant have any sort of match in four minutes. Ricochet wins with the 630 splash.

Dark City Fight Club vs. Aeroform again, another incredibly rushed effort. Lord knows I love fast-paced all action matches; and some of the psychology based stuff in ROH has bored me to tears recently. But this is the other end of the pendulum guys just doing a bunch of moves. DCFC win obviously, with Project Mayhem on Lyndon.

Brad Allen vs. Silas Young ironically this was going the way of the other matches until, oddly enough, an injury actually saved it. Allen goes for a moonsault from the top to the outside and smashes his face on the floor , which means we get a count-out spot which is actually full of tension (as opposed to those ones Pearce books in ROH where you quickly nip to the loo because no-one ever gets counted out). Allen makes his comeback and hits a spin-out facebuster for the win. This one went around ten minutes, which meant they could actually do something with the match.

Jimmy Jacobs vs. Ken Doane I really enjoyed this match, Doane in particular looked impressive. I have to say something about the way Doane worked the side-headlock, which I thought was just brilliant. It shows how much you can get out of a supposed rest hold if you know how to work it properly. If someone like say, Brent Albright tried to do this, hed just end up boring the shit out of everyone. But Doane and Jacobs work the side headlock beautifully, with Jacobs escaping it a couple of times only for Doane to slap it on again; and Doane actually works the lock when hes on the ground, instead of just lying there. It might seem like an odd things to rave about, but I just thought it worked really well. Doane wins with the top rope legdrop, but for some reason Tommy Dreamer comes out to alert the referee that Jacobs foot was on the ropes. Within a few seconds of the restart Jacobs makes Doane tap to the End Time. Afterwards Jacobs and Dreamer exchange words on the mike and have a bit of a brawl.

Johnny Gargano vs. Chris Dickinson Ive seen Gargano wrestle a couple of times on DG:USA preshows, he looks like an ok wrestler. Dickinson meanwhile clearly wants to be KENTA. An adequate match, which Gargano wins with his twisting full-nelson faceplant, aka the Hurts Donut.

TJP vs. Munenori Sawa basically these two just batter each other non-stop for ten minutes; which makes for a really entertaining effort. Perkins has always impressed me when Ive seen him wrestle, but for some reason hes never quite broken out the way I thought he would. Sawa makes TJP tap to the Octopus.

Mike Quackenbush, Hallowicked & Frightmare vs. Gran Akuma, Icarus & Brodie Lee the usual Chikara goodness that weve all come to expect. Brodie Lee has to be one of the best big man workers around at the moment, its a real shame he got jobbed out in ROH. Hallowicked hits the Rydeen Bomb on Icarus for the pin.

Kota Ibushi vs. Davey Richards corking main event, as you would expect from these two. Richards pretty much dominates the match, but cant quite put Ibushi away. For me this is head and shoulders above the match they had in ROH a couple of years ago. Ibushi kicks out of the DR driver, but Davey hits the shooting star, batters him with forearms, and locks in the Kimura for the tap-out.

Overall Hmmm, a bit of a curates egg this one. A good show with several stand-out matches and a must-see main event; but it would have been even better if theyd lost a couple of matches. I appreciate theyre trying to do something different; but some of those matches were so short as to be utterly pointless.

Edited by Dearly Devoted Dexter

• Paid Members

I rewatched the ROH Ibushi vs Richards match the other day. It hasn't held up to my memory of it, I might dig out Generico/Ibushi and compare that before I catch EVOLVE #1 at some point...

• Paid Members

Here's what I thought at the time :

Kota Ibushi vs. Davey Richards - the much hyped (by Sapolsky anyway) Ibushi makes his ROH debut against the main man in 2008 so far, Davey Richards. And while Ibushi looked ok - taller, kinda KENTA-lite - given that ROH