Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

• Paid Members

Hmmm, nobody saw that coming. This leaves ROH with a bit of probelm to say the least, especially with Richards mooted to be leaving in Dec. One of the companies main problems over the past 18 months is that roster has become increasingly stale due to a seeming disinclination to bring new guys in. They need to create some stars and fast. Off the top of my head, John Moxley, The Cutler Brothers, Johnny Gargano, Chuck Taylor and Kyle O Reilly are guys I'd like to see in ROH.

Supercard of Honor 5

Edited by Dearly Devoted Dexter

• Paid Members

I hate it because it necessitates a title change, so the new champion will just kind of be champion by default, and we'll never know what the original plan was. Like when Nigel got hurt.

• Paid Members

Maybe, but sometimes bookers do better when they have to think on their feet. Some of Gabe's best booking stemmed from short-term exigencies; and more often than not his worst angles were the ones he'd sat and thought about for a while. Short-term it looks like the belt is going on either Richards in Charlotte or Strong in NYC.

• Paid Members

Hmmm, I'm a bit sceptical about giving guys belts as a kind of wrestling equivalent of a gold watch. There's no doubt that Strong is world-champion calibre - he really picked himself up in 2009 and never looked back. But if you give him the belt, who do you put him in a program with? ROH has always struggled to produce more than a couple of top line babyfaces at a time. Say you put him in a program with Richards; but everyone knows he's on his bike in December. Maybe have Richards win the belt at FB, vacate it and have some sort of tournament? There may be huge flaws with such a plan, I'm thinking off the top of my head here.

My moneys on Jimmy Jacobs to take the belt. Strong and Davey are too easy and predictable. Definitly not A Double again. I wish it would be Hero, but his tag team commitments means it won't be.

Jacobs may not be a long term champion, but it'll give a chance for a great promo guy to hold the belt, much like Raven of the 90s. It'll come full circle, Jimmy introduced Black and ends Black.

Edited by Boon Town Rat

........ So you think a guy who's not been with the company in over a year and had a bit of a public falling out with the owner is going to win the belt?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I do hope Davey Richards takes it, but I see Strong being the more likely choice at GBH. Still, Strong vs Richards at FB title vs career sounds better than Black vs Richards did.... But then I am an utter mark for every time Strong and Richards beat the shit out of each other.

Hasn't Jacobs completely left ROH? I remember he had a big sendoff after a feud with Black but got the impression he wasn't coming back. Ignore, read post above.

It's annoying as ROH has invested alot of time getting Black over, but I think with Richards you'd have a popular guy who can cut a half decent promo and wrestle ROH style matches, Strong is too bland on the mic, although I'm big fan of Martini as a manager.

I would like Chris Hero to get the title. I love Hero, great look, killer matches and probably the best promo they've got. But my left field pick would be Kevin Steen.

Edited by spotlightmagnet1

........ So you think a guy who's not been with the company in over a year and had a bit of a public falling out with the owner is going to win the belt?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I do hope Davey Richards takes it, but I see Strong being the more likely choice at GBH. Still, Strong vs Richards at FB title vs career sounds better than Black vs Richards did.... But then I am an utter mark for every time Strong and Richards beat the shit out of each other.

IMO ROH is stale at the moment. It needs a kick up the ass, and needs to grab peoples attention. Something out if left field would tigger peoples interests again.

Now this is just my opinion, I'd love to see Richards win the belt, bit it's very unlikely if he's retiring. I can't buy into Strong as champion.

Who has also been involved in ROHs most emotional feuds. Who the fans did connect with? Strong and Richards are hardly giants? He can get a feud over, and that's something I don't see in ROH at the moment (bar Steen-Generico) He'd be a man who would act like he would die for the belt.

He wouldnt need to hold it long, but I bet my last pound the man who took the belt of Jacobs would be alot better for it than if he took it off someone generic looking and lame promo skills.

This is simply what I'd like to see, something different, something you didn't see coming.

Edited by Boon Town Rat

• Paid Members

Steen isn't a bad outside shot as champion; although personally I don't think he's good enough to be a top line singles guy. Hero has the qualifications, but I can't see them splitting up the Kings at the moment.