Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

The Russian who won the gold at Heavyweight also got a gift. He was getting battered by the Kazakhstan fighter. His eyebrow was split open and was taking some jarring punches. He should have been given a standing 8 count in the last round but the referee pulled him away and took him to the doctor. Crowd were booing the decision and his medal presentation.

A bunch of judges have now been sent home because of the bad scoring they've created. The scoring system has been changed to be more like pro scoring but it doesn't seem like they know what they're doing. After Conlan lost an official from the AIBA said

"I can understand that frustration is heightened when there is a significant amount of media who also believe that he should have won."

"We will continue to evaluate to where the media is educated, the coaches are educated as to the criteria better and the officials are constantly getting better so that hopefully we will come to an Olympics in the future and 100% of the bouts will be accepted by coaches, media, athletes and officials."

How can you have athletes & coaches competing in events where they don't know how to win?!

Nicola Adams won gold against an experienced French woman who basically wind-milled for 8 minutes. You can see why some of these fighters are career amateurs and can't transition to the professional ranks. They really don't need referee's in these fights either because they don't do anything. You could be warned 20 times for holding and get away with no punishment.

The fight afterwards Shakur Stevenson vs. Robeisy Ramirez was a decent fight. Ramirez the Cuban was a classy operator. Laser jab, quick feet, moving in angles. He deserved to win the gold. Stevenson was good for his age and will only get better. He looked like he was trained by Andre Ward with his punch & grab technique. He also sucker punched Ramirez twice, once when the referee said stop & once after the bell. Referee did nothing about it.

• 2 weeks later...

This fight has failed to capture my imigination, it has a shite undercard as well. Saying that ill probably still get it in come the time. I'm more looking forward to Smith V Alvarez the following week. That should be tasty while it lasts. Can't see past Golovkin/Alvarez wins mind. The Brook fight is very intruiging.

9 days until Brook/Golovkin, my arse is going already, i can't fucking wait.

The boxing schedule from next weekend onwards until the end of the year is insane.

Indeed. 

SKY have really pushed the boat out. Plenty of World Titles fights on regular SKY Sports. 

• Paid Members

just 4 days until Brook/GGG. The smart way to look at it would be to think GGG is simply going to be too much for Brook, but i can't help but it get sucked in by the hype and believe Brook is in with a real good shout of winning this. Brook looks like an absolute beast in training.

Who's planning on watching?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlmrtr5J0No

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRHf2nCtb_g

Got Jacobs/Mora II on Friday (on Spike over here Saturday night) and Chocalatito/Cuadras (Boxnation) this weekend too.

• Paid Members

I think I'm going to give it a watch, maybe the following morning depending on what time it's on. Can't see past a GGG win. I should be sad about this, but we've got plenty of other British world champions in boxing at the moment and GGG is so damn likeable. Brook looks an absolute beast, he's packed on so much. But will he be as comfortable boxing with that additional weight? Will it affect his speed? I don't think it makes a difference anyway, GGG on his day is far too good for anyone.