Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

its impossible to tell, so many factors to consider. None less than Tyson Fury weird behaviour going in, he seems unmotivated and whilst it may be head games, im starting to believe him.

Did anyone see Lomachenko/Martinez on the weekend, holy shit.

• Paid Members

I reckon a comfortable Wlad win. Like Egg Shen, I believe that Tyson really doesn't give a shit either now. I reckon he didn't want the fight and called Wlad's bluff, hoping he'd retire instead.

Wlad on the other hand, I strongly believe this has been eating away at him and he's rewatched their fight hundreds of times over. He'll be determined as fuck, and given that technically he is superior, that's half the fight won. Stoppage by the 6th, I reckon. Then Wlad will retire a happy man.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I think Wlad can win this. I picked Wlad the first time because I figured that in a big man vs big man fight, the more technical big man would have the upper hand. I still think that's the case but I don't know what it was last time. Fury deserves massive credit (as much as it pains me to say it) for taking a decision off Wladimir Klitschko...in fucking Germany! But I don't know if Wlad underestimated Fury, taking his ridiculous trash talk, shit singing and general twattery as him being a bit of a joke. Or maybe he underestimated the effect fighting someone the size of Fury, making controlling the distance harder and taking away that advantage that he usually enjoys. These are basic things that someone as experienced and intelligent as Klitschko would obviously be aware of but, I don't know. He just didn't pull the trigger all night, it just felt like Klitschko was thrown off and didn't expect it to be so difficult to reach/time Fury.

The same could happen again. Maybe Fury nicks it again. It wouldn't shock me. But a boxer like Klitschko isn't going to just come into a rematch with the same approach again. He's too smart for that. So it'll be interesting to see how Wlad tackles this one. It wasn't like Fury beat him up or dominated him last time. Truthfully, neither of them did a great deal over the course of 12 rounds. Fury just did that little bit more and stayed just that bit more busy enough to get the nod. So I'm sure Klitschko sees where he can make adjustments. And like mentioned, Fury doesn't seem that arsed and I don't think he's that good of an actor. He's playing the 'just here for one last payday' bit way too convincingly to me.

I've got Klitschko by decision. I think Fury will be tough enough to go the distance but I reckon Klitschko takes the decision fairly clearly in the end.

The main reservation I have with Wlad is father time. Prior to the Fury fight, he didn't exactly look great against Bryant Jennings. The scorecard gave a false impression of the fight Jennings was giving Wlad problems by going to the body. Since then, Jennings has lost by TKO.

Also, the fight is in England. People have commented in the past that Wlad doesn't always look great outside of Germany. The theory is that travelling removes him from his comfort zone. Granted, this theory is based on performances early on in Wlad's career, and he has improved since then, but the Jennings fight took place in America. 

It's one of those fights that could play out in several ways, and none of them would really be surprising. 

• Paid Members

big weekend of fights coming up, we got the Sky Box Office card with Joshua/Breazeale, Murray/Groves and in America there's the Thurman/Porter fight (also on Sky)

Lots of great coverage on the IFL Channel with regards to the Box Office card including a sitdown 50 minute interview with Joshua. As for the actual fight, who knows? it feels like there's a lot of sceptism around Breazeale because a lot of people feel it's another Charles Martin, but who knows? I'm planning on watching a little Breazeale this week to get a gauge on him but a lot of people are predicting another blowout. Breazeale certainly talks a good game.

Groves/Murray is the best fight on the card, cracking domestic battle. I'll be on Murray's side and i'll be dropping a few quid on him as he's a slight underdog.

Here's the Sky card:

• Anthony Joshua v Dominic Breazeale
  • George Groves v Martin Murray
  • Chris Eubank JR v Tom Doran
  • Conor Benn v Lukas Radic
  • Dillian Whyte v Ivica Bacurin
  • John Wayne Hibbert v Andrea Scarpa

Eubank Snr has been making friends. In addition to this video, he also felt the wrath of Conor Benn after some miss-timed comments, and continued his long-standing feud with IFL by mocking them in the background while they shot an interview with Hearn. 

Disturbingly, it looks like Eubank Jnr will be facing GGG in September. Hearn claims the deal is almost done. 

• Paid Members

Eubank's out of his mind.

Eubank/Doran should be short but sweet on Saturday, i give Doran little chance but he can punch and he's not afraid to get in a brawl. I think Eubank Jr. will want to make a statement so it should be a crazy little fight.

...anyone see Andrej Fonfara get sparked out in a round last weekend? Smith Jr. was a 10/1 underdog going in. One of the biggest upsets of the year.

• Paid Members

last minute replacement, Whyte has gone through a couple of opponents this week. Bacurin was stopped by Tony Bellew a couple of years ago at Cruiserweight.

Whyte was originally meant to fight Sam Sexton but he pulled out, then another guy came in but he also pulled out.