Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Never seen Eric Hunter fight but there's a lot about online saying this is easily Selby's toughest opponent and he could even spring a bit of a shock. Who knows?? role on 6pm.

Definitely not as good as Evgeny Gradovich. But he's got some good wins on his record such as Yenifel Vincente and he took Jerry Belmontes 0 from him. Hunter is a tough fighter, he's never been stopped but Selby will be too slick for him.

Brian Rose vs. Matthew Macklin looks like a competitive fight on the undercard. David Brophy is undefeated and is trained by Ricky Burn's trainer Billy Nelson. I think George Groves will walk through him. Jamie McDonnell's opponent is a stand-in so won't expect much from him.

Joshua/Martin is a difficult one to call. If Martin takes Joshua's best punch in the first round and keeps coming we're going to have a fight on hands. The comparison between the pair is Raphael Zumbano Love. They both fought him in a 3 month period. Martin took 10 rounds to stop him, Joshua did it in 2 rounds. Watching Martin's technique, he's quite a sloppy puncher and doesn't look like he has KO power unless its an accumulative amount of punches. I think Joshua will be able to put the stop on him and take the belt.

It would appear something has gone on.

I get the feeling the SSBO people really thought they had it nailed on..

Yup - Bet it's to do with AJ PPV in July presuming he wins tonight. SSBO won't want 2 in 1 month. And I doubt they could reach an agreement to get a decent split of money for a super card containing both fights. Wouldn't surprise me if Sky/Hearn put something on free tv the same night.

I just realised though arguably if Aj get's KO'd tonight - Which is entirely possible Sky's cash cow could be down the drain, at least short term.

Edited by seanz25

Meh thought they could have carried on IMO. Was gonna get caught again though.

Fuck Sky though, utter shite card really. No competition. All the favourites won.

Edit did say Hearn would go up against BoxNation earlier. Ouch.

Edited by seanz25

Sky have no control over the card. Matchroom deal with that. Sky basically just care about Joshua.

And carried on? He failed to get up for the count? The ref can't go 'nah, he looks fine, lets keep it going.'

Also, Joshua at Wembley Stadium on July 9th? David Haye maybe? Either way, that's a bit of a gut punch for boxnation, as I imagine Haye/Joshua (if that's the case) would be a huge deal.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

The ref counts for a reason, if you dont get up before 10 you're out. Charles shit the bed and decided to stay down. If he didn't, he's an idiot.

Poor show though. It was one of those ones where you hope the names deliver big performances to help boost their profiles but no one really set the world alight. Didn't help that there was a flat atmosphere until the main event, they sure do love AJ though.

Connor Benn looked alright though, loved the aggression.

If they can't do the Haye fight, the winner of Pulev/Del Boy will probably be Joshua's first defence. If that occurs, I doubt it will take place at Wembley. 

Happy for A.J. Regardless of the opponent, he rose to the occasion in style. Martin might have been smiling, but he was probably dazed. If he had his wits entirely about him, I think he would have beaten the count. Either that or he didn't want any more of Joshua, and who could really blame him. 

Martin just said he mistimed the count. Yeah, he tried to get up but his body was telling him to stay down. He was hit with the right hook twice in 10 seconds per knockdown. Another one of those and he wouldn't have had a choice to get up. Martin must be one of the worst world champs in history. He wins the belt after his opponent retires from a knee injury, then loses it within two rounds in the next fight. He made £4m doing it tonight, so he might as well retire.

• Paid Members

Looked alright to me. It was clear he was biding his time from the first knockdown. He didn't look completely out of it and was getting back up dead on time. But each to our own.

It was definitely the right call to stop the fight. I know what you're saying about Martin looking ok, but he just took too long to haul himself off the floor.

I think you mean 'each to their own' Seanz?

Edited by lambyUK