Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah, I thought it was all pretty much a done deal that it would be Klitschko around June time.

Just been going through some old videos I saved ages ago on my laptop. Remember this bastard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=oQF-Q9BeLAw

Julian 'The Hawk' Jackson. One of the hardest punchers in boxing, a proper KO machine in his day. Seemed a good guy as well in bits I've seen of him interviewed and stuff. Wish we'd have got a fight between him and Nigel Benn in the early-mid 90s.

I'll never forget his knockout of Herol Graham...

20305Jackson_KO_Graham.gif

Fucking animal. That was a come-from-behind KO as well. Graham had been outboxing him and Jackson had a history of vision problems from a detached retina (they actually had to move the fight to Spain because the British Boxing Board of Control wouldn't allow it to go ahead over here because of Jackson's poor vision. I'm sure the ref or Jackson's corner were on about giving him one more round then, if he wasn't doing any better, pulling him out. And he landed that killer shot right and put Graham to bed. Heartbreaking loss for Graham as it was known going in it was probably his last shot to be world champion.

Look at this clip of the end of the fight and listen to the reaction from the commentators...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=OhVi7cH-LaQ

"OH NOOOOOO!"

• Paid Members

Charles Martin is abit of an enigma. It's a risk in that he's abit of an unknown quanity himself.

There's some good highlights of him knocking out guys on club shows but that's about it. It's a risk but as far as World Title shots go you'd think they dont appear much easier so it was well worth taking. He's a big southpaw with decent power though so who knows? Plus Joshua showed enough vunerability in his last fight to tell me he's not ready for the the top level...its a pick em for me.

The safety net is that if Joshua loses though they can say he took a huge leap up early in his career and came unstuck. He can rebuild off a loss.

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

well, we're 3 days out from one of the best domestic fights in fuck knows how long. Quigg vs. Frampton. First UK unification fight in 9 years.

Frampton-Quigg-Fight-Poster.png

it's a fight i've been hoping for years so it's great to see it finally happening, it's one of those rare occasions where a fight that was demanded a couple of years ago is actually happening at a time when both guys are very much in their prime, both are holding World Titles, it's all fallen together perfectly.

Frampton goes in the favorite and i'd have favoured him but he showed a vunerability in his last fight that we hadn't seen before so it's got me thinking it's more a 50/50 fight, im very much hoping Quigg can win it though.

For a Box Office event (and there's enough detractors here), Matchroom haven't really given us much to get excited for other than the main event and a decent looking Gavin McDonnell fight, it's a poor looking card, but im sold purely on the main event.

here's some Sky hype which someone has kindly uploaded to youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_WC9Y7tFUE

Edited by Ebb

Stream for me unfortunately, not all that familiar with either truth be told, I know it's a biggish domestic fight, but as you mentioned there's fuck all of an undercard and really there hasn't been that much build, even on SSPN HQ compared to other Sky fights, am I right in believing Frampton's not an Eddie Hearn fighter? Seen that mentioned on UK boxing forums, people wanting him to win to fuck off Eddie? Might be partial reason for less build-up than usual but I doubt it. 

UFC is better value Sat evening IMO.

I'll be watching UFC on Saturday and if I catch any of the fight afterwards it's a bonus, not really familiar with either of them - it's certainly not PPV worthy. I watched the gloves are off special over the weekend and thought they didn't sell the fight to me what so ever.

Frampton promotes himself under the Cyclone Promotions banner. That's partially the reason why it's taken so long to get the fight together. Neither side seemed to want to budge.

Ah right that makes sense, i remember a few friends who are die hards claiming that this was a huge deal. 

I'll be watching UFC on Saturday and if I catch any of the fight afterwards it's a bonus, not really familiar with either of them - it's certainly not PPV worthy. I watched the gloves are off special over the weekend and thought they didn't sell the fight to me what so ever.

Yeah, I'm not all that familiar either, but I think Ebb said when the fight came about, the only way they'd agree to do it is on Box Office cos of revenue and stuff. Otherwise it wouldn't have happened.