Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Moderators

Bruno would rule all the heavys, he'd win the title in order to earn a CLASH OF THE TITANS against the A-Force. Winner gets Skelton. Winner of that gets Sprott.  Winner of that gets Danny Williams. Finally, British Heavyweight Boxing will be back at it's best.

Khan will have to be very light on his feet throughout the fight. The main problem for Khan is, i can't see how he can hurt Alvarez. He'll have to run and try and nick rounds. But i think eventually Alvarez will catch up with him and take over.

Lets not forget Matthew Hatton went the distance with Alvarez (although all he done was grab) and Ryan Rhodes went to the late rounds.

It's not career suicide at all, if he puts up a decent showing theyl still be the offer for a later in the year clash with Brook, or early next year depending if Khan is Ramadamming it.

Khan can't hurt welterweights, so there's no way he's going to hurt a super welterweight/middleweight. Cotto did the jab and move principal with Canelo and it didn't work for him and he's got great power at 147lbs & 154lbs.

I can only see Khan doing this for the money and has little chance of winning. Also trying to show Kell Brook that he had a better offer on the table than to fight him. Alas the better offer is to jump two weight divisions and fight way out of his comfort zone. Also wasn't Canelo giving it the big un' that he was going to fight Golovkin next?

Also the same night as fury vs klitschko 2!

Thats 1 big ppv if both on sky?

Is it contractually Sky's? Both will be up for grabs. I'm pretty certain the PPV split on both of these would hurt both companies. So it'll likely be one on Sky one on BT/Box Nation.

Yep! Thing is Fury/Klit promoters took Sky's considerably smaller upfront for the larger PPV revenue cut which they where basically taking a minimal gamble on (People where buying this fight, it was pretty clear early on public interest) when BoxNation offered quite high figures.

I highly doubt Sky will be able to sell PPV for both of these, people won't buy two at £30 each in droves like they will for a single fight. I know in the past we've had Matchroom cards bundled with other bigger shows, but Sky have money in the matchroom shows and there's no exclusivity deal with Khan etc.

BoxNation haven't had many major exclusives lately though have they? Reckon they'll be after it tbh.

Edited by seanz25

• Paid Members

I highly doubt Sky will be able to sell PPV for both of these, people won't buy two at £30 each in droves like they will for a single fight.

Sky never charge £30 for one show though, do they? I'm sure Joshua vs Whyte was £16 something, wasn't it? I know it's a few quid more if you order on the day of the fight.

I think you're probably right though, that they mightn't fancy their chances selling two separate PPVs. Can definitely see Canelo vs Khan ending up on Box Nation. It'll be in America as well which means an early hours start time. When's the last time Sky had a Box Office PPV at that time? If they're only going to try to sell one, it'll surely be Fury vs Klitschko with the nice European friendly prime time slot.

If they get the rights to both fights though, they could always sell it as a joint thing. They used to do that years ago when you'd have Hatton fighting in America, they'd have a card at like 8pm live from the UK, then switch over to the US half of the bill at midnight or whatever. They did that as far back as the mid 90s using Benn/Naseem fights to lead into big Tyson fights in the US and stuff.

My guess though, is we'll get Fury vs Klitschko 2 on Sky and Canelo vs Khan on Box Nation.

I highly doubt Sky will be able to sell PPV for both of these, people won't buy two at £30 each in droves like they will for a single fight.

Sky never charge £30 for one show though, do they? I'm sure Joshua vs Whyte was £16 something, wasn't it? I know it's a few quid more if you order on the day of the fight.

I think you're probably right though, that they mightn't fancy their chances selling two separate PPVs. Can definitely see Canelo vs Khan ending up on Box Nation. It'll be in America as well which means an early hours start time. When's the last time Sky had a Box Office PPV at that time? If they're only going to try to sell one, it'll surely be Fury vs Klitschko with the nice European friendly prime time slot.

If they get the rights to both fights though, they could always sell it as a joint thing. They used to do that years ago when you'd have Hatton fighting in America, they'd have a card at like 8pm live from the UK, then switch over to the US half of the bill at midnight or whatever. They did that as far back as the mid 90s using Benn/Naseem fights to lead into big Tyson fights in the US and stuff.

My guess though, is we'll get Fury vs Klitschko 2 on Sky and Canelo vs Khan on Box Nation.

Swear once HD Sky PPV's are near £25 - 30? Maybe I'm wrong. Last late PPV wasn't long ago Wand, Floyd/Manny back in May. 

What I meant to imply was though that almost zero chance they can do a joint PPV deal for these two, it's just to pricey for Sky as there separate promoters both of whom will be after a PPV cut, with Sky having no investment in either unlike they do with Matchroom shows. Thus Sky would basically have to take fuck all money cut to keep both promoters happy. If they somehow get both you may get a fiver off if you order both I guess. 

Sky/Matchroom's deal from what I understand also means that sky can only air Matchroom boxers on SSP, so basically Eddie Hearn has to agree with it if they want to air Khan's fight not on PPV. SSPBO isn't exclusive though. 

I expect BT will look at picking up some stuff soon, there UFC ratings are excellent all considering for it's air time and how small a sport it is over here really. They've clearly got an audience that would watch so they probably reckon they'll be able to sell the adverts on it.

The only interesting factor is Sky covering it quite a bit yesterday, we'll see further down the line if they give it a lot of time. We all know Sky only really cover stuff on SSNHQ that they've got money in.

So far though Sky currently have the following lined-up;

- Frampton/Quigg (PPV Confirmed) - February 

- Joshua vs Someone (PPV 95% Happening Just Need's Opponent Announced & PPV Confirmation) - April

- David Haye's Next Fight - Could Buy Into This If They Want

- Khan vs Cotto (PPV If They Want It) - May

- Fury vs Wlad (PPV 90% Happening) - May

Sky/Matchroom could move the April 9th 02 show though - May 7th, do the double joint PPV idea of Joshua fight then going over to Wlad/Fury especially as those German undercard's tend to be shite. That may be smarter on both part's, as I reckon for most casuals they'll buy one show and stream the other. IE sign up to Box Nation for the month or buy the PPV. A stronger PPV package for Sky would be smarter. But then Joshua did a better PPV buyrate than Fury/Wlad 1st time round so fuck no's really...

They've got some serious decisions and business to plan out and Sky really are suffering badly ATM Sport's wise. I know BT's shares have shot-up recently to down to Internet/Sports and mobile additions, so Sky have shit to get together, but they spunked a fuck load on premier league rights. 

Edited by seanz25