Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Bob Arum says it's not true...

Numerous notable writers, perhaps spearheaded by Yahoo! Sports, Kevin Iole, have taken to slamming Powell’s ‘exclusive,’ that follows on from previous journalistic gems as Khan having signed a Mayweather fight, as well as another story from a couple of years ago that at 48, former great Lennox Lewis, was returning to face the Klitschko’s in a ‘super-fight.’

As recently as last week, Powell also reported that Shane Mosley had definitely signed to fight Frank Warren’s WBO 154 lb champion, Liam Smith in the UK. Another fiction.

“It’s total bull-[expletive]. It’s complete bull-[expletive]. I’m sitting here trying to figure a way to sell tickets to my fight [saturday in Las Vegas between Timothy Bradley and Brandon Rios] and now my phone is ringing off the hook because this lunatic made some [expletive] up,” Pacquiao’s promoter, Bob Arum told Iole about the Pacquiao/Khan situation.

It would appear the British scribe had been led to believe as such by Khan’s father, Shah, who told Powell, ‘our paperwork went off to Arum [last] Friday, and every point is covered,’ in the story printed Tues on dailymail.co.uk.

A notion disputed by Arum.

“I haven’t sent a contract to him. We haven’t sent anything to him,” the veteran promoter told ESPN’s Dan Rafael. “Don’t you think I’m the promoter of the fight and I would know if I sent a contract? It’s total bulls—. It’s not true. This is f—ing ridiculous. There is no deal. There is no contract. There has been no decision whatsoever.”

• Paid Members

Rocky Fielding/Callum Smith going down on the weekend, how do you see that going?

I favour Smith all day, i think he'll likely break Fielding down with body shots and stop him late on. Smith seems to have sort of insider knowledge that he knows he's the better of the two (similar to the Campbell/Coyle situation). Fielding's one of those fighters that keeps upsetting the odds though, he's developed quite a dig too.

Should be a good one.

Tim Bradley vs. Brandon Rios is also this weekend. Its been kept quite low key but some are saying this could be a FOTY canditate. I think thats based on Bradley v Provodnikov. But Rios is a lot slower, doesn't punch as hard and Bradley doesn't have to prove anything like he did after the Pacquiao gift. Vasyl Lomachenko is also on the undercard.

Ruslan Provodnikov also fights this weekend in Monaco in a stay busy fight. His manager has said this week they were in training for an Amir Khan fight and then Khan heard Manny Pacquiao wanted to fight him so pulled out of the Provodnikov fight.

• Paid Members

it's one of those fights that i feel depends on how Bradley approaches it. He could probably win wide if he fights smart but he can get dragged into a brawl and that's all Rios really has. Bradley looks in ridiculous shape going in.

• Paid Members

Geez Callum Smith looked good. I fully expected him to win tonight but not to hurt Rocky that quick. He knows he's very excellent. I know it might seem reactionary but for about 18 months I've been certain he will be a world champ. Even just because he can move up too cruiser. If he can Badyou Jack I really would have him as favourite

Edited by ElCece

• Paid Members

I think ElCece has had a few beers.

But yep, Callum looked great. Basically a shoot out from the bell, Callum was always gonna be the sharper of the two and was just first to land the big shot. He didn't let Rocky off the hook after that.

Cardle/Dodd on the undercard was some fight!

Edited by Ebb

Rios looked like shit. I'm glad he retired afterwards because he's been taking the piss with his lack of discipline for years. He's supposed to be a professional athlete and he can't even make the 10 stone 7lbs limit. He's had 10 months to train and has spent 8 of those months eating. He finally makes the weight after "having a big shit" and then over the course of 24 hours, somehow puts on 23lbs, just over 1.5 stone. All it took was body punches from Bradley to slow Rios down. He hurt him in the 3rd and Rios was running on fumes past the 5th. A couple of hard shots to Rios' flabby belly and he was down in the 9th. A few more punches and the ref stopped the fight.

• Paid Members

Rios appeared motivated this time around too. Rios just seems like one of those troubled street guys that found it hard to stay focussed and out of trouble.

The Bradley/Atlas relationship gets off to a good start. Great to have Atlas around, what a maniac that guy is.