Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Just read this on Bloody Elbow. Pinch of salt and all that...

Someone involved with the negotiations for the Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao boxing super fight has told the LA Times that the bout could be signed within the next week.

Boxing fans and heck, the whole sporting world, have been waiting five long years for Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao to meet in the ring. After a couple of years where the fight seemed dead, there may be actual progress being made.

"We're making progress" is the exact phrase a "boxing official" "involved in the talks" gave to the LA Times' Lance Pugmire yesterday.

Here's more from the same mystery man (or woman):

While a final agreement has not been struck on the purse split, the official said the sides made noticeable progress on the subject in Thursday negotiations.

Mayweather sought a split at least 60-40 in his favor, and Pacquiao (57-5-2, 38 KOs) expressed a willingness to meet that.

The parties have already agreed to stage the fight at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, and they've already agreed on a drug-testing plan. A date remains unsettled. It's believed the bout is being targeted for May or June.

"The calendar is a factor," the official said of the urgency to finalize the deal soon, estimating it could get done in seven to 10 days.

It is believed that the disagreements about drug testing that killed the 2010 attempt to book the fight have been worked out.

Keep your fingers crossed fight fans, this one may actually happen.

As always with these two, file this under 'I'll believe it when I see it'. Hopefully it happens this time though. If it falls through again, it'll probably never happen.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

......................................................................................... BOMB SQUAD. 

Ha. How weird, both these guys came across great. Wilder obviously is dripping with charisma but Bernie as his thing going on too.

Just slightly off topic but in regards to May-Pac. Mayweather as no promoter but his "adviser"  Al Haymon is about to announce a huge tv deal with NBC. How? His just raided Golden Boy and took..... Garcia,Maidana,Broner,Peterson,Mares,Wilder,Guerrero plus more.

Golden boy is empty. Problem is Al is great for the fighters. He gets them big money for shit fights. Khan currently under contract for G.B but "advised" by Al. 

So does Al let Haymon do the unthinkable and make a fight with a promoter he never deal with (Arum) or deal with his man (Khan) with a company his just killed (Golden Boy/Del Hoya) or does he just take piss and makes a fight between Mayweather and one of his boys (Garcia)

Oh and remember maybe pound for pound king Andre Ward? His sorted out his promoter issues and signed with Jay Z/RocaNation. 

Edited by Fox Piss

• Paid Members

Speaking of a pinch of salt...

Did anyone else see the ridiculous article about Tyson supposedly making a comeback to fight Wladamir Klitschko that was doing the rounds on facebook. People actually think its gonna happen, and that it would be competetive.

Whats wrong with people?

• Paid Members

Anthony Joshua/Kevin Johnson is off for the 31st, Joshua has suffered a stress fracture to his lower back. No idea if the show is going ahead yet, i can't see it staying at the o2 considering Joshua was the main event.

• Paid Members

It looks closer than it ever has before. Usually i dont get excited when i read anything about it but i actually think it may happen this time.

Oh and Derry Matthews has snuck in and taken Anthony Crolla's place to fight Richard Abril for a world title in April, madness. Derry's great to watch and he's likely in way over his head here but you know hes gonna give it his all.

• Paid Members

Haymon announced the deal. Thurman/Guerrero first show, Garcia/Peterson the second. Big blow for Showtime who put the groundwork into them fights. Showtime need a big move.... 

Dan Rafael tweeted a "critical" meeting between Showtime & HBO is to take place about a joint PPV.

Speaking of a pinch of salt...

Did anyone else see the ridiculous article about Tyson supposedly making a comeback to fight Wladamir Klitschko that was doing the rounds on facebook. People actually think its gonna happen, and that it would be competetive.

Whats wrong with people?

http://www.badlefthook.com/2015/1/14/7548263/don-king-wants-mike-tyson-to-fight-bermane-stiverne

Don King wants him back. I think (and hope), nothing comes of it.

I am really looking forward to Stiverne vs Wilder. Lot of people online think Wilder's jaw is going to be expose. Stiverne claims that Wilder gets knocked out often in sparring, and even has tapes. 

• Paid Members

yeh, that's the big conundrum here. Wilder looks to have it all from a commercial perspective, big punching heavyweight that looks the part and has the charisma to be a star but in 32 fights he's never really fought anyone that's punched him back, and he's never gone beyond 4. He could be exposed as a bit of a fraud, or he could really be the next big thing...who fucking knows! I can't wait!