Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Golovkin made short work of Geale last night with a 3rd round TKO. Golovkin turned on the pressure in the 2nd and got a knockdown. Then threw a thunder bolt (whilst taking a punch to the face) in the third and flattened Geale. Geale got up, wobbled about a bit, the ref told him to come forward and Geale shook his head, wanting no more of it. There is no-one in the middleweight division who can stop this man.

GGG knocked Geale down with a clubbing right hand in the third round, he done well to get up, ref asked him if he wanted anymore and he shook his head. Geale knew only one way that fight was going and that was more pain. Not sure who will be next for Golovkin, Cotto and Canelo are both very good fighters, warriors. Cotto has become smart business man in recent years and unless offered a fortune I don't see him stepping up to the plate, I think Canelo would but he has De La Hoya behind him and I can't see him allowing it to happen. Same as what I said about Martinez awhile ago, run and duck Golovkin at all costs. The risks far exceed the money you will get for stepping in the ring with him. I only see one fighter at 154, 160 or 168 who could beat him and that is Andre Ward. Froch himself has said on record that he does not want to face him. Chavez Jnr talked about it, his team were in negotiations and suddenly he ran talking to Haymon and Showtime.

GGG for me = The Baddest Man On The Planet.

Edited by Gooner

• Paid Members

what i love about Golovkin, other than his frightening punching power (18 KO's in a row!) is that he's impossible to dislike. The guy's always smiling, respectful and seems to genuinely want to give the fans what they want, he's fucking awesome. That punch was lethal, countering a hard right hand of Geale's too, GGG has dynamite in his fists.

On the Boxnation card (i caught 2 fights), Eubank Jr. right now is that the pinnacle of where he can be without stepping up. It's been a frustrating rise because it seems like forever he's been fighting guys who offer little to no challenge to him. Last night though it seemed to boil over to the point where it was like 'right, now it's going to happen'...love or hate him, he's got people talking.

Billie Joe Saunders won the European Title in semi-convincing fashion, it was a pretty even fight until the finish, Saunders started well before allowing himself to get outworked by the Italian...that final punch though :cry:

The lack of head guards and the pro scoring system have made the amateur boxing at the commonwealth games more interesting. Some of the fighters look like they've been thrown in to make up the numbers. Limited amount of skill and throwing windmill like punches hoping they connect. The last fight tonight had a Malaysian heavyweight who looked in despair before he got in the ring. The New Zealand opponent kept landing a hard right hook in the first round that kept unsettling him. Then a left hook in the second round gave the Malaysian an early night. Perfect shot and a horrific KO. The poor guy didn't look right after that, definite concussion and I hope he's off to the hospital rather than using more of his trainers technique of throwing water on him and shaking his head by his hair to wake him up. Its on the BBC Sport page under live coverage, if you want to see it.

• Paid Members

The Ray Mancini documentary 'The Good Son' is on YouTube, probably not for long though;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=PG03C_JDLp8

I'll have to watch this soon. Been meaning to for months. Still waiting for that fucking Johnny Tapia doc to surface as well.

Roy Jones Jr is back, he just beat Courtney Fry by corner pulling Fry out in fifth round after he took too many blows. Wonder what's next for Roy, he thinks he can still win a world title at Cruiserweight.

Any chance of Jones facing the winner of Bellew/Cleverly?

• Paid Members

id assume that Hearn is going to look to push the winner of that fight into a World Title Fight so that'd put Jones off the radar, still i could imagine that fight being a draw of some kind over here.

• Paid Members

yeh i watched it earlier on, its very good. The concept of the thing is similar to the documentary about Lupe Pinto meeting the father of Johnny Owen. It's a really good documentary, it breezes through his pro career with very little detail and focuses more on his early life and then the Kim incident, very sad story. I always find these kinds of incidents very sobering. Seeing them on TV is one thing but when you delve deeper and see the lifes these incidents effect it really hits home how dangerous boxing can be.