Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
just seen The Gloves Are Off and ive shit myself with excitement, cannot wait!!

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here it is;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=qNxhpXB7bhU

Just watched it and that's the first time I've seen them go face-to-face where I thought after that Froch got the better of it. Groves has been able to wind Froch up every time and usually gets the last word but I thought Froch handled it better this time. The amount of times Froch said something and Groves just sat there with his gob open was a bit surprising to me, considering how well he usually does when they go head-to-head.

Still a stupidly tough call because of how the first fight played out. But I'm still leaning towards Froch by stoppage. Groves got a raw deal last time with the stoppage, no two ways about it. But he seems to be in a bit of denial about the fight to me. He's acting like he won every second then Froch landed one lucky shot and the ref called it. But Froch had gotten himself back into the fight a couple of rounds before the stoppage and Groves seemed to lose a bit of steam slightly to me. Whatever you thought of the stoppage, Froch had Groves hurt. And that's after a disaster start of a bad knockdown and a six round twatting. He still had Groves in trouble. Groves seems to think he wasn't ever hurt. The ref dropping a bollock with the stoppage might have been the best thing that could have happened for Groves because had he let it go on and Froch finished the job properly, this rematch might not be happening at all.

Groves has grown on me over the last year or whatever but I can totally see why some people can't stand him. Froch can be a twat but he did give Groves some credit. Groves' refusal to acknowledge that Froch is/was a great fighter can grate after a bit. I know he doesn't have to praise Froch or anyone else but it gets old to me.

I think Froch stops him inside 5 rounds. Groves is a good boxer but I don't think he is a top class boxer. I think he fought above his level for the first fight and while it was a harsh decision I don't think he will be that good again.

• Paid Members

agreed about Froch getting the better of the Gloves are Off...

Groves stunned reaction to several Froch comments was pretty weird, it was if he was trying to guage Froch's mindset but was never quite able to get to grips with it. It was a fascinating watch.

Headed to London now for the weigh-in's, there's a fanzone there or something signings, q&a's and stuff, should be good.

• Paid Members

I only just saw the news that Matthew Saad Muhammad died the other day at 59. Cause of death was amyotrophic lateral sclerosis/motor neurone disease.

Matthew_Saad_Muhammad_S.jpg

I didn't see that much of his career but the fights I did see were fantastic. And his second fight with Yaqui Lopez (voted Ring's FOTY in 1980) was absolutely incredible.

Steve Bunce tweeted this;

Watch the 8th round of Matthew Saad Muhammad and Lopez, watch the version with the Rocky music and tell me that you never choked up. Miracle.

Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=NKZGiVCSVd0

One of the best rounds I've ever seen. Their first fight was pretty great as well actually.

• Paid Members

went to the weigh ins yesterday, was great. 7,000 people showed up and it made for a great atmosphere. Got 3rd row seats and spent the hour leading up to the weigh-in spotting all the fighters in attendance, there were tons, incluing Prince Naseem who's fatter than ever. There was a short Q&A before the weigh-in with Adam Smith, Paulie Malignaggi, Paul Smith, Dean Coldwell and Tris Dixon which was cool but i could listen to Paulie answer questions all day.

The weigh in itself was pretty intense, Froch/Groves was as expected, not sure if the camera picked it up but there was a little bit of commotion in the Groves camp before Froch stood on the scale, not sure what that was about. Oh, and DeGale/Gonzales had a cracking staredown.

Bumped into Scott Quigg on the street later on, grabbed a photo and Quigg told us Froch in round 7 so thats where my moneys going! Quigg was nice as pie.

Then we managed to grab last minute tickets to the England/Peru game, quality day!

Roll on 5pm!!!

• Paid Members

Yeah, I watched a Naz interview from the weigh in earlier and he's very rotund.

Can't wait for this now. I've got to go out in a bit and I'm cacking myself that I won't be back in time for the big fight. Have a good time, Ebb.

Froch late for me. TKO around the 10th/11th. I think Groves probably gets the better of the early rounds again but if he doesn't land something really huge like he did in the first fight, I can see him finding it a lot harder than last time. A lot is made of Groves dominating the first six rounds last time, but Froch was fucked after the knockdown in the first round. What happens this time if Groves can't land that early bomb? Could be a very different looking fight.

Yeah fuck it, Froch in the 10th.

I am going with Groves on points. I think he has too much hand speed for Froch to handle. Froch will always be dangerous, but I think Grove is the more likely victor.

Really cannot wait for this, and I am watching this one at home. Have a blast EBB

• Paid Members

I really want a Froch win but not feeling confident.

I'm worried the game plan is "You'll come on strong, He will fade". Fuck going late and having the older man trying to claw it back when the younger man has it in his hands.

Opening rounds are going to be huge and hopefully he keeps it tight on the scorecard going into the 2nd half.

• Paid Members

Yeah the speed is one of the most interesting factors. He's definitely got the clear advantage there. But my thinking is if he doesn't put Froch away early, can he sustain over 12 rounds? If he's more patient I think he could build up enough of a lead that even if he fades, he could take it on points. Then again, the early knockdown last time might have caused Groves to be a bit over-aggressive last time which maybe is what caused him to lose a bit of steam later. Maybe if he is more measured and patient he can do what he did for six rounds for the whole twelve this time! So many questions.

Just got a feeling Froch is going to weather an early storm and come on strong late. I can see him being down on the cards again and pulling off a late TKO. Similar to last time, hopefully minus the controversy.

I'm worried the game plan is "You'll come on strong, He will fade". Fuck going late and having the older man trying to claw it back when the younger man has it in his hands.

Ha, he never makes it easy on himself but that is how I can see it going. I don't think he'll be as dramatically behind as he was last time, if he can avoid taking so much early punishment I think he'll hold up fine late on.

To be honest, its one of them fights where I won't be surprised whatever the result. Unless it's a robbery or something obviously. It's about as close to 50/50 as I can get. But I'm about 51/49 in favour of Froch getting it done.

Edited by wandshogun09