Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

BoxNation have the Sergio Martinez vs Miguel Cotto fight on June 7th as well.

I'm looking forward to this one. Sergio Martinez has been getting upset because of Cotto's demands. He wants to have the red corner and come out last because he's the draw in MSG & he's sold it out nine times. On the HBO Face Off, Martinez said "How many class A fighters have you fought?" Cotto replies "Two" and Martinez snipes back "Ah and you lost both." Took a look at Martinez's records, how many class B fighters has he been in there with, let alone class A. Paul Williams maybe and he lost to him in his first outing. Martinez has a heavily papered career and is a bit of an all fur coat and no knickers to me, a boxing media darling. He should have lost to Martin Murray & I hope Cotto's power accentuates with him to 160lbs. Martinez's body is constantly breaking down and now Cotto is training at the Wild Card Gym, I hope an all attack Cotto comes out for the fight.

• Paid Members

yeh, its a big one...can't wait for that.

I went to the Cardiff Matchroom show on Saturday night, quality show. Rees/Buckland had another good tear up, Cleverly impressed on his Cruiserweight debut (albeit against a poor opponent), two of the Smith brothers were in destroy mode and Lee Selby proved once again why he's likely to be Wales' next world champion, good stuff.

Hung around after the Selby fight (whilst a filler fight was going on) and caught the Sky presenting team leaving their posts, snapped pics with Johnny Nelson, Jim Watt, Tony Bellew and Jamie Moore, all were sound as fuck.

On the subject of watching boxing live, i decided Saturday that when i go in future im paying top dollar to sit as close to the ring as possible. Something gets lost when you sit a distance from the ring, it's still fun but the main problem is the fact that in general boxing shows are full of drunken idiots and they tend to be in the cheaper seats, so you're bacically sitting amongst people who have no interest in the boxing (or only have interest in one specific fighter), it's pretty distracting. I think it's worth the extra coin to sit closer to the ring.

oh and as for Juan Manuel Marquez, fucking brilliant Saturday night, he's not finished by a long way. His hand speed and combinations were just blistering.

Edited by Ebb

Just read that Pacquiao vs Marquez V is "almost a done deal" and is looking like happening in November in Macao.

I pretty jaded towards their series. But it does make sense to make another fight.

Question now is, who will Floyd fight in September?

• Paid Members
I pretty jaded towards their series. But it does make sense to make another fight.

Why jaded? It's one of the best rivalries in boxing history for me.

I'm well up for it. You're almost guaranteed an exciting, competitive fight at least, whatever happens. And it'll be fascinating to see how they both approach it after the KO last time. K-1 did 4 and 5 fight series' plenty of times. Aerts fought Schilt 5 times, Le Banner and Hunt had 4 wars, as did Aerts and Le Banner. In boxing, Chacon vs Limon fought 4 times and the later fights were epic. At this point they've both pretty much fought everyone else. Pacquiao vs Mayweather is really the only one we haven't seen and that seems like it's never going to happen. I suppose Marquez vs Khan could be fun some time. At least Pacquiao vs Marquez will be good. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy another no doubt controversial and dramatic fight between two of my favourite fighters.

Question now is, who will Floyd fight in September?

Got to be a Maidana rematch, surely? It has to be Maidana or Khan, and the consensus seems to be that Khan can't do it in September because of Ramadan. So Mayweather vs Maidana 2 looks the best bet.

Why jaded? It's one of the best rivalries in boxing history for me.

I'm well up for it. You're almost guaranteed an exciting, competitive fight at least, whatever happens. And it'll be fascinating to see how they both approach it after the KO last time. K-1 did 4 and 5 fight series' plenty of times. Aerts fought Schilt 5 times, Le Banner and Hunt had 4 wars, as did Aerts and Le Banner. In boxing, Chacon vs Limon fought 4 times and the later fights were epic. At this point they've both pretty much fought everyone else. Pacquiao vs Mayweather is really the only one we haven't seen and that seems like it's never going to happen. I suppose Marquez vs Khan could be fun some time. At least Pacquiao vs Marquez will be good. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy another no doubt controversial and dramatic fight between two of my favourite fighters.

Got to be a Maidana rematch, surely? It has to be Maidana or Khan, and the consensus seems to be that Khan can't do it in September because of Ramadan. So Mayweather vs Maidana 2 looks the best bet.

Yeah, it will be a Maidana rematch, which I do not mind. As crazy as it sounds, I do really want to see Floyd vs Khan, if it does happen next year, I will be happy. I cannot see Floyd losing a rematch to Maidana

Pac vs Marquez has been a legendary series of fights, but I have seen it too often. The last fight was a absolute classic, no question. But the 5th fight will be the 3rd meeting between the 2 in 3 years. I have seen them fight too often in such a small space of time.

I understand why they are making the fight, it makes sense after the way the last one ended. Plus, they could not wait with how old the two fighters are. I guess another thing is that there is no one else for Pac Man to fight. Who else could Top Rank put him against. I would rather see Marquez vs Pac again than Pac vs Bradley 3, I will concede that.

I do still enjoy watching Pac, the last fight with Bradley I was really up for. But Floyd's fights seem a bigger deal these days, whereas a few years back they seemed on a even keel.

• Paid Members
As crazy as it sounds, I do really want to see Floyd vs Khan, if it does happen next year, I will be happy.

I'd like to see it as well. It'd be interesting to see how Floyd would combat Khan's speed and I think it'd be an exciting fight. I wouldn't have much doubt on the outcome but it's kind of like Anderson Silva vs Michael Bisping in the UFC, I'm pretty certain on the outcome, but I still want to see it. It'd be a shame if they missed each other. It's that thing again of me wanting everyone to fight everyone in their era.

Pac vs Marquez has been a legendary series of fights, but I have seen it too often. The last fight was a absolute classic, no question. But the 5th fight will be the 3rd meeting between the 2 in 3 years. I have seen them fight too often in such a small space of time.

Fair enough, there is that. To compare with the UFC again, Cain Velasquez vs Junior Dos Santos was similar. They fought three times in less than two years. It was a great trilogy but way too rushed. The PPV numbers for the third fight show that a lot of people thought the same. They'd had their fill of Cain vs JDS for a while. Would've been better if they could've held off on the rubber match for another year or so but with the lack of depth at heavyweight they went straight to it.

With Pacquiao and Marquez, it's weird. The first fight was 10 years ago now. So it'll be 5 fights spanning a decade which sounds fine. But yeah, if they meet in November as planned, the last three fights will have happened in the space of three years.

Still, like you say, there aren't that many other options for either at the moment. Especially under the Top Rank umbrella. It's all pretty much been done. Of who's available, it's the most appealing and marketable fight.

The thing is, I said before, what happens if Marquez wins? Do they do a fucking sixth fight?! They'd be 2-2-1. In a way I think it would actually be kind of cool if the series ended up even after 5 fights and Marquez retired on that. He could take pleasure in winning the last two fights, even if the score is still tied. And it'd sum up the whole rivalry if they end up deadlocked.

I do still enjoy watching Pac, the last fight with Bradley I was really up for. But Floyd's fights seem a bigger deal these days, whereas a few years back they seemed on a even keel.

That's probably because we've seen Pacquiao lose recently. His fights still seem like a big deal but he's never had the unbeatable thing like Floyd has for me. Even back in 2008-2011 when Pacquiao was really at his peak, he would get wild enough at times where you could see someone catching him. Plus even then we'd seen Pacquiao lose before to Morales and he'd been stopped a couple of times early in his career as well. For a while him and Floyd seemed on equal footing as attractions, yeah. But his lucky (and dodgy) points win over Marquez in 2011, the dodgy loss to Bradley in 2012 (dodgy but still put him in the loss column for the first time since 2005), and then the KO loss to Marquez later that year - all added up, it must've dented his superstar aura to some degree. And while he's been on that up and down, Mayweather's been schooling everyone to the point where if someone is even competitive like Cotto and Maidana, it's a big story.

Pacquiao is much more my type of fighter. I like the aggressive fighters like him, Benn, Gatti, Duran etc more. But Mayweather's got his own aura that eclipses just being an exciting fighter. That's almost the draw more than he is himself. Like The Undertaker and The Streak. Except Mayweather's streak is 46-0 and spans 18 years. It's a huge event when he fights. Always does monster money. If he ever loses it'll be fucking massive for whoever takes his O.

Just read that Pacquiao has extended his contract with Top Rank until 2016 as well. Arum's still saying the Floyd fight can happen but I think we can pretty much forget it now. He'll be 38 when the Top Rank deal expires. Floyd will be 41. And we have no reason to believe the fight can be made while Pacquiao is under Arum's lock and key, because it hasn't since 2009 when the talks really started heating up.

pacman-mayweather_original.jpg

Photoshop's probably the closest we'll ever get to seeing this.

• Paid Members

I remember the Benn/Watson fight - I live right opposite the actual park, and I remember seeing them putting up and taking down the tent. Place was a right mess afterwards.

Wandshogun09's man-crush Nigel Benn was on Ringside this evening, and he was very vocal in his support for George Groves. Benn said that Froch should have been a little more respectful towards Groves after the first fight.

I get what he means. However, it seems despite Froch getting booed in Manchester after the fight, that most of the public still support him. Hardcore fans seem to dislike him (check out Eastside Forum), but most casual fans still see him as the "good guy" over Groves.

I am still picking Groves to win on points next weekend.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

really? from my own viewpoint of the casual fan it seems like pretty much everyones siding with George Groves.

"i hope he smashes the cocky cunt" seems to the be standard word on the street where im at.

Most people I know are hoping for a Froch win, for the same reason. Certainly seems to have split the fans! I can't wait for this fight.

Edited by Keith Houchen

really? from my own viewpoint of the casual fan it seems like pretty much everyones siding with George Groves.

"i hope he smashes the cocky cunt" seems to the be standard word on the street where im at.

It seems when they interview the public on Ringside, most side with Froch

I do expect the crowd to be 50/50 on the night, with it being in London