Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

As you say, it's not the most exciting to watch, but I'm just enjoying watching possibly the best technical heavyweight fighter of all time ply his trade.

Once those two brothers are gone we'll see the belts switching hands more often no doubt, but the quality of fights will no doubt drop.

Ali and others are better technicians than Wlad. Faster hand speed and much more diverse, not saying Wlad is not one of the most effective Heavies of all time, but technical is another story. Wlad does use his reach really well to protect his vulnerable jaw, he is probably the best Heavy since Lewis, and might be better than his Brother at his respective peak.

The level of class will drop once Vitali and Wlad hang them up, I honestly think only Haye can give either a run for their money (I still think Haye beats Vitali at this stage) but the entertainment value should go up. There is a chance it will not though, it could get mildly embarrassing if the skill level drops to say John Ruiz or Seth Mitchell levels.

There was nothing enjoyable or technical about all that leaning on Povetkin though, it was outright cheating!

Agreed, whether you rate Wlad or not, there was nothing romantic to take from such a ugly and rough fight. Wlad is a major draw in Eastern Europe and brings the a spectacle rarely seen in combat sport, but his fights are rarely easy in the eye. I can enjoy a good calculated keeping at a distance display, but Saturday night was just tedious.

It may be a artistic triumph to see James Corden punch above his weight and pull, but you do not want to see the end result in the bedroom ;)

There was nothing enjoyable or technical about all that leaning on Povetkin though, it was outright cheating!

...Nor was the fact that Povetkin kept coming in and ducking low attractive either. As I said, both fighters were at fault for it, not just the one.

• Paid Members

Povetkin to his credit was doing the only thing i think you can do against Klitschko (especially when at a size disadvantage) and thats duck come forward looking for hooks. Klitschko realised that and just tied Povetkin up whenever he came in close he basically wrapped him up, arns up over his shoulders and blatantly pushed Povetkin down, even to the ground on several occasions. Now you can't blame Klitschko for technically elininating any threat Povetkin posed, but what he was doing was illegal and i cannot believe the referee didnt call him on it...even more so considering the fight was in Povetkins homeland.

Eurosport.com EN ?@EurosportCom_EN 2m

BREAKING: 48-year-old Lennox Lewis says he is in talks to make a stunning comeback and fight a Klitschko for $100m.

He best make that Vitali.

More chance of being competitive, and more of a story to sell given their first fight. I am surprised as on Sky recently, he seemed happy to be retired. I would not be surprised if nothing comes of this. Although, Lewis has been popping up places a lot lately.

Povetkin to his credit was doing the only thing i think you can do against Klitschko (especially when at a size disadvantage) and thats duck come forward looking for hooks. Klitschko realised that and just tied Povetkin up whenever he came in close he basically wrapped him up, arns up over his shoulders and blatantly pushed Povetkin down, even to the ground on several occasions.

Klitschko's trainer, Johnathon Banks responded perfectly I felt;

• Paid Members

i agree with all that also, it doesn't excuse the fact that Wladamir held continuously for 12 rounds and never penalised (even when he was docked a point im sure it was for pushing).

from boxrec's boxing rules:

You cannot hit below the belt, hold, trip, kick, headbutt, wrestle, bite, spit on, or push your opponent.

GUILTY!

• Paid Members

Unless it's a money laundering scam, I don't know where $100 million is coming from for Lewis to fight Klitschko considering Mayweather just got $80 million from the biggest money fight in history. $10 million might be closer to the mark, and even then I'd suspect money-laundering.

Lewis knows there is a very slim chance of anybody offering him $100M to step foot again in a boxing ring. It's something he said a long time ago and he's never changed his opinion on it. Wlad got a huge sum the other night and what was it, say $22M so I think safe to say Lewis will stay retired and so he should. He has nothing to prove to anyone. Looking forward to the fights on Saturday, Lomachenko debut will be interesting and what a fight Marquez/Bradley could turn out to be. I think both will try to counter box and it will end up being a war. I go with Marquez to take it on a close points decision. Salido/Cruz should be good, I think Salido can get the belt he lost to Garcia back here with a late stoppage.

i agree with all that also, it doesn't excuse the fact that Wladamir held continuously for 12 rounds and never penalised (even when he was docked a point im sure it was for pushing).

from boxrec's boxing rules:

You cannot hit below the belt, hold, trip, kick, headbutt, wrestle, bite, spit on, or push your opponent.

GUILTY!

I flung on Lewis v Akinwande today for a bit of nostalgia amidst all this talk of holding and clinching in the Klitschko fight. Big Henry was at it from the first bell in that fight and didn't make it out of the fifth round before Mills Lane had him DQ'd. I miss the old school refs like that and their little gimmicks.