Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

was away for the weekend so i finally saw Mayweather/Canelo (results avoided!), as a spectacle it was fantastic, but once again you watch a Mayweather fight and you feel yourself deflating as you watch it. The guy is on another level, and he has a style that no one can figure out. Canelo was game and at no point in the fight was he hurt but he was just a step behind. Mayweather is a master of making a fight play out at his pace, and even when Canelo did something of note, Mayweather came back and topped it almost immediately. He's so defensively sound and crafty that at no point do ever think he's in any danger, plus he lacks any real fight ending power so his fights always feel very anti-climatic. I can't help but get sucked into the hype machine though, and come his next fight i'll be back on board.

I do wanna see the Khan fight though, Khan's one of the few guys that can match Mayweather for hand speed, and is maybe the only guy that would have success against Mayweather from the outside, style-wise it's interesting.

Anyone claiming Mayweather isn't the real deal is just saying it to be difficult, the guy is amazing.

Matthysse/Garcia on the undercard was a slight disappointment too, it ended brilliantly but once it was readily apparent that Garcia could deal with Matthysse's power and aggression it never really turned into the barnburner we hoped. Good fight though, just not on par with what we were expecting. Matthysse's horrid eye injury didn't help his case.

I went 0-3 with my bet :(

Boxing on 5 was good too, Galahad/Dickens was excellent, Dickens giving a real good account of himself until being flattened in round 10. Galahad is a bargain bin Prince Naseem though, it's the Sheffield thing too, he even talks the same.

Chris Eubank Jr. continues to be one of the most unlikable fighters in the country. So annoying to watch, the guy has amazing potential but he ruins but by trying to put on a show. I love showmanship but you gotta pick your spots. I want to see Eubank Jr. fight Billie Joe Saunders.

I got very lucky this morning, as I nabbed tickets for and my brother for the Froch fight as they went on sale, the reasonably priced seats all were sold out within 10-15 minutes. That is serious drawing power, the Haye tickets did not go that quick from what I recall.

I like Galahad, but then again I am bound to as Naz is my favorite boxer ever.

• Paid Members

I must be one of the few who likes Eubank Jr. Everyone I know who watches boxing can't stand him. I like him but I definitely think he'd be better off if he knocked the mid-fight showboating on the head, or at least reigned it in. It seems like he's trying to hard to be a tribute act to his Dad at times instead of concentrating on forming his own style.

I'd be interested in seeing him step up a level now. See if he sinks or swims. He was on about fighting on the Haye-Fury undercard, that's too close to really book a bigger fight I suppose but after that, I'd like to see him and Saunders in say December maybe. Or early next year. It's time, I think, to see what he's really got against better opposition. And him and Saunders have some beef don't they?

Galahad sounds so much like Naz it's ridiculous. If you were in another room and heard Galahad and Naz having an argument you wouldn't know who was who.

I'd be on board for Mayweather vs Khan. I'd definitely have Floyd to win, maybe even by stoppage, but I think they would match up well for an exciting fight.

I must be one of the few who likes Eubank Jr. Everyone I know who watches boxing can't stand him. I like him but I definitely think he'd be better off if he knocked the mid-fight showboating on the head, or at least reigned it in. It seems like he's trying to hard to be a tribute act to his Dad at times instead of concentrating on forming his own style.

I follow him on facebook and from his posts you can see why he could be unlikeable. As a boxer he is decent though maybe lacks a bit of pucnhing power maybe

• Paid Members

it's the 'tribute act' feel i get when watching him too, i just wanna see him tone it down and get on with his boxing. He's trying too hard and he's annoying many people in the process (which may be a good thing because people are talking about him).

The Gloves Were Off - Heavyweights was not as good as the Middleweight one, but was interesting enough.

I honestly do not know who that bearded guy was, and he only spoke about 3 times. I never knew Bruno sued Lewis, and thought Bruno's critical analysis of David Haye vs "The Klitschko" was priceless.

That said everyone got on, I say have Eubank on every roundtable regardless of weight, I am sure he can stir it up and make it more entertaining.

• Paid Members

I'll watch that tomorrow after work. I love Bruno, always got time to listen to him. I even endured Piers Fuckface Morgan when big Frank was on his ITV show a while back.

I actually just finished reading Bruno's book, decent read. He covers the Lewis stuff in there as you'd expect. In fact there's a whole chapter called 'Lennox and Me'. He sued Lewis for libel over the 'Uncle Tom' comments in the press in the build up to their fight. He withdrew it fairly quickly, he said it was more a message to let Lewis know not to take liberties. Bruno had digs back that while Lewis was draping himself in the Union Jack and calling himself a Londoner, he grew up in Canada and represented Canada in the Olympics. Bruno had 'True Brit' stitched onto his fight shorts.

He did say in the book that he didn't hold a grudge anymore and it's all in the past so I'm not surprised to hear they were getting on. It's nice that they've squashed all that stuff.

I still remember Bruno vs Lewis and the genuinely gutted feeling in my house when Bruno fell short. Again. I was too young to have seen the Witherspoon and Bonecrusher losses but I still remember how deflating it felt to see Bruno get battered. Especially after he got off to a strong start.

I loved the Middleweight Gloves Are Off. Only thing that would have made it better would have been to have Nigel Benn there. James Toney would have been another to spark some heated debate. Even in his absence, just the mention of his name got Roy Jones all agitated. Toney's the type who probably would have completely derailed the whole thing though, and got taken away by security half way through. I wish Benn would have been there though. And Michael Watson. All due respect to Richie Woodhall, who I really like, but he seemed to just be filling up a chair. He stuck out among genuine top middleweights like Jones, Calzaghe and Eubank.

Edited by wandshogun09

Benn turned it down as he was "at peace", I think he would have had Woodhall's chair. Mind you, Steve Collins almost having a nervous breakdown was enough for me, Toney would have needed subtitles.

Scott Welch was the "bearded guy" honestly never heard of him, I assume he was a replacement for someone.

Cheers for filling me in on why Bruno sued Lennox, for some reason I always thought they got on. I am not a Lennox fan, but he does not seem the type that you would take a disliking to, and Bruno is bloody harmless.

• Paid Members

Yeah I think maybe Lewis was just trying to sell the fight in his own way but the 'Uncle Tom' stuff was going too far and the whole thing got out of hand. Lewis seems like a laid back, chilled out type so it seems out of character looking back. Maybe he was put up to the trash talk because it never seemed to be his style.

Bruno vs Lewis took place about a week or so before Benn vs Eubank 2 at Old Trafford as well. That must have been a mental week to be a British boxing fan. I watched both fights at the time but I was too young to really be into all the hype. Must have been a huge buzz around that week.

uh oh...

George Groves rumoured to have split from trainer Adam Booth weeks before big world title clash with Carl Froch.

I initially thought this could be mind-games, but the rumor I have heard the split is over money percentages.

Groves does not want to lose Booth, who is one of the best trainers in the game.

Bruno vs Lewis took place about a week or so before Benn vs Eubank 2 at Old Trafford as well. That must have been a mental week to be a British boxing fan. I watched both fights at the time but I was too young to really be into all the hype. Must have been a huge buzz around that week.

Mental indeed, Bruno did better against Lewis than you would think as well.

I love Bruno, he is maybe the only Conservative I would ever vote for, his slogan he was going to use to run for office was a classic "do not be a plank, vote for Frank" I do feel bad sometimes when he says things like "The Klitchsko" with his illness and problems, it does feel like I am laughing at him instead of with him at times. I do think he is a lovely man when you watch documentaries and interviews featuring him.

Edited by jimufctna24