Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

yeh that looks great!

I've recently got a copy of the new Juan Manuel Marquez documentary, not watched it yet.

jmm.libraxlibra.200w.jpg

I don't know of any James Toney docs, there's probably a lot of 'countdown', 'preview' type stuff involving him but that sort of stuff tends to surface online sporadically and it's just a case of getting lucky with it.

We have Miguel Angel Garcia vs Juan Manuel Lopez this weekend for the WBO featherweight title, which should be a good fight. Not much else happening though, is there?

Got Broner/Malinaggi on the 22nd of this month, Golovkin/Macklin on the 29th, Hopkins/Murat on 13th of July and Geale/Barker on 18th of August. It's always quite on the boxing front in the summer for some reason, at least from September onward we got some treats with May/Canelo, Marquz/Bradley, Pac/Rios and I'm sure there be a lot more big fights on top of that before the year ends out.

• Paid Members

Yeah it's the same early in the year usually as well with boxing. Jan-Mar is usually pretty uneventful bar the odd fight. It picks up around Apr-Jun then slacks off again until the Sep-Dec run of big fights. That seems to be how it's gone in recent years anyway. Still, some good stuff coming up. Even in the usually quiet summer months we've got the above and Haye vs Fury to look forward to. But yeah, on David's point, aside from Garcia vs Lopez it's looking like a fairly quiet weekend for boxing.

The hopkins fight is off. Murat had visa probs. The 29th is a great night for boxing. Sky also have crolla v rees. Dodson v smith and scott quigg fighting.Tyson fury was on the blower to big johnny and adam smith on ringside this week, he came across ok. He really really wants this haye fight. That should be a spectacle. I hope sky do get it if it does come off as they would do a great build up. Wethet itd be ppv or not im not sure, as they have received criticism for the haye/audley and haye/klitchko fights.

I thought NBC did a good job with their boxing broadcast last night. The undefeated Russian Light Heavyweight, Sergey Kovalev destroyed Cornelius White in 3 rounds. Kovalev has been tipped over the last couple of days to face Nathan Cleverly next, that won't happen now because this Kovalev is a fucking beast. In the 3 rounds, he threw 207 punches and landed 93. Of those, he threw 143 power punches and he landed 74 power punches. Very light on his feet, gets in, throws his combo's and then he's out again. The power he's got stops his opponent from counter-punching when he's moving out. He's now No.1 ranked in the IBF for Hopkins' title. I bet Cleverly's going to have another go on Murat now he can't get a visa to get in the US. Fight link

Also on the show was Bryant Jennings against another tough Russian, Andrey Fedosov. Fedosov packed a good punch and led the fight for the fight couple of rounds. Jennings though, undefeated going into his 17th fight, slowly worked his way into the fight, plugging away with decent shots to Fedosov's head. A Jennings combination of uppercut and left hook, blitzed Fedosov and he stumbled backwards but remained upright. With an eight punch melee of rights and lefts, Jennings went in for the kill but couldn't put Fedosov down. I think the main disadvantage to Jennings is that he can't finish a fighter off, he's got a 50% TKO rate which is a bit weak for a heavyweight. As the fight wore on, Fedosov's eye began to swell and by the sixth round it looked locked shut. The doctor came in and pulled the fighter out. Jennings looks like a good talent, they were billing him as the best heavyweight in the US even though he's undefeated in 18 whilst Deontay Wilder is undefeated in 28 and Tony Thompson has a better record too. Fight Link

Over on Friday Night Fights, it was the rise of the Dominicans. Yenifel Vicente and Jorge Diaz had an entertaining four round scrap at Super Bantamweight. Vicente looked too much for Diaz and a vicious uppercut in the fourth round certified his dominance. To his credit, Diaz got back up and kept coming but he was easy pickings for Vicente who smothered him in unanswered punches and the referee had no other option than to stop the fight.

The FNF main event was my favourite fight of the night. The undefeated Filipino, Jundy Maraon faced off against the undefeated Dominican, Juan Carlos Payano. Maraon has been plagued with inactivity, only fighting twice in four years but boasts a very high KO rate. Payano is a relative newcomer with only 13 pro fights but he has had over 500 amateur bouts. His amateur experience was on clear display with impressive footwork making space between the fighters and jumping back into Maraons pocket to deliver some hard sounding punches. Maraon may have been flummoxed by the movement as a clash of heads left Payano worse off. And even worse the boxing commission ruled it as a Maraon punch, even after seeing a replay, they saw it was a headclash but still wouldn't back down from their first call because New Jersey doesn't officially use replays. Payano was winning the first two rounds by just outboxing the lateral moving Maraon but at the end of the third, Payano got caught by the ropes and got knocked down with a three punch combination. The one minute break helped Payano and stopped Maraon gaining any extra momentum, so Payano could take it in his stride and keep outworking the Filipino through the fourth and fifth rounds. Maraon was starting to get a little marked up but Payano's punches didn't look like they had the power to daze or stun to get Maraon out of there. Then at the start of the 7th round, Payano knocked it up a few gears and caught Maraon with some blinding hooks to the side of the temple. Maraon was still on his feet but looked weary because he didn't offer much defense and when Payano blasted two more shots just above the ear. Maraon went into auto-pilot and flopped to the floor, where he stayed for a couple more minutes. Payano's been given the nickname of Baby Pacquiao because of their similar styles, I wouldn't go that far but he's really entertaining and a smooth fighter who can probably squeeze out a world title challenge down the road.

• Paid Members

I thought NBC did a good job with their boxing broadcast last night. The undefeated Russian Light Heavyweight, Sergey Kovalev destroyed Cornelius White in 3 rounds. Kovalev has been tipped over the last couple of days to face Nathan Cleverly next, that won't happen now because this Kovalev is a fucking beast. In the 3 rounds, he threw 207 punches and landed 93. Of those, he threw 143 power punches and he landed 74 power punches. Very light on his feet, gets in, throws his combo's and then he's out again. The power he's got stops his opponent from counter-punching when he's moving out. He's now No.1 ranked in the IBF for Hopkins' title. I bet Cleverly's going to have another go on Murat now he can't get a visa to get in the US. Fight link

he's the dude Max Kellerman pimped last week when HBO ran down the 8 top guys in the division, he said somthing like 'make no mistake about it Kovalev is coming', it was abit of a throw away comment but it grabbed me, gotta love the Russians.