Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Good night of boxing it was. I was thinking in all the years i have been a boxing fan i have never knew of the possibilities and potential for realistic fights which could be made for brit fighters. You have the 3 middkeweights and their title fights and domestic fights with each other. You have froch/groves/degale. Cleverly/bellew/stevens/dawson. Khan/brook/alexander. Fury/price/haye... just hope some of the. Then you have agogk/smith for the future. Quigg/frampton/gallahad. Eubank jnr threw in the mix with the middles....but out of all british fighters i think the next world class, real world class will be lee selby.

Lewis vs. Tyson was 11 years ago yesterday, time flies eh? Still remember staying up for it on SBO with my brothers and my dad - the only fight that has had the whole house excited.

Lewis posted a few interesting notes on Twitter last night about the fight which I never knew about:

[*]After hearing Don King had bought Tyson a brand new car during negotiations, Lewis made King buy him a fully kitted out Range Rover before he signed the contract.

[*]King insisted on the ring in Memphis being small, to supposedly give Tyson an advantage in closing Lennox down. When made aware of this, Lewis bought a big ring out of his own money and got it shipped to Memphis & it was the one used in the fight - Lewis still actually owns the ring, he has it in storage in New Jersey.

He also confirmed that King/Tyson did indeed pay him $4m to stand aside so Tyson could fight Holyfield.

• Paid Members

Golden Boy have said Maidana gets the winner of Broner/Paulie. That kind of sounds like Broner won't be going back down which leave massive question about skipping the most lethal division. Gamboa is in a real tricky position now. HBO wanted to build him up but he is stinking the joint out at moment so how long will they give him? The Showtime V HBO "Saturday night wars" really means you can't be carrying a guy who is awful to watch no matter how talented. I think making Ward "Mr HBO" is a huge mistake for that very reason.

• Paid Members

For someone with a tiny head, Maidana always gets hit a lot.

Haha, me and my mate were on about that earlier. You'd think having such a tiny noggin would make him harder to hit, smaller target and that, but he always seems to find a way to put himself in harm's way. Great fucking fight though eh? Lived up to my expectations. Good stuff on Lewis M.O.M. I vividly remember Lewis vs Tyson as well, it's mad how quick that 11 years has gone. Everyone I knew seemed to be a boxing fan in the run up to the fight, and all the controversy and the fight being on then off then on again, Tyson telling a female reporter he "didn't speak to women unless he fornicates with them", the nutty press conference which turned into chaos with Tyson biting Lewis' leg and then this;

"You punk ass white boy! Come here and tell me that and I'll fuck you in the ass, you punk white boy. You faggot. You can't touch me, you're not man enough. I eat your asshole alive you bitch. Fuck you, you ho. Come say to my face and I fuck you for everybody. You bitch. Come on you bitch. You scared coward, you not man enough to fuck with me. You can't last two minutes in my world bitch. Look at you, you scared now you ho. Scared like a little white pussy. Scared of the real man. I'll fuck you 'til you love me faggot."

I remember the BBC and ITV news reporting on the fight, Sky were obviously all over it with it being on Box Office, people at work were on about it, my Dad actually stayed up as well. Everyone had an opinion and everyone picked a side. It's nuts when you think they were both on the way out as well, it was more an attraction than a fight. Then even when the fight arrived you had all that shit with the security having to form a barrier between Lewis and Tyson during the intros. The whole thing felt surreal watching live.

Golden Boy have said Maidana gets the winner of Broner/Paulie. That kind of sounds like Broner won't be going back down which leave massive question about skipping the most lethal division.

I have to disagree with you there as the 147lbs is much more stacked then 140lbs. You got Mayweather, Pacquiao, Marquez, Bradley, Alexander, Malinaggi, Guerrero, Berto, Maidana, Ortiz, Brook and even Khan is coming up in his next fight. If you look at 140lbs you got Danny Garcia, Matthysse, Alvardo, Peterson, I'd include Rios too but he is coming up to 147blbs in his next fight to face Pac. I think 147lbs is much more stronger and more likely Garcia and Mathysee if they want even bigger fights will move up once they deal with one another.

• Paid Members

Gooner your right. Especially with these last couple of months were a contender as been knocked out and a couple have moved up to Welter. Looks a two horse race in 140 with poor Alvarado not having much on. I should say that Broner as skipped some lethal fighters i think but as you say the will go up to 147.

Edited by Fox Piss

• Paid Members

fight of the weekend was Maidana/Lopez, a crazy 6-round brawl with one of the rowdiest boxing crowds ive ever heard cheering em on. I thought Lopez was taking over after rounds 4-5 but you can't sleep on Maidana. I didn't agree with the stoppage, i thought Lopez was good to continue, he was getting smashed but knowing the type of fighter he is he would tried throwing back.I did agree with the stoppage in the Dawson fight though, he was doomed. He had odd look on his face that people get when they are semi-KO'd, his mouth was all tensed up, once someone gives that look it's time to step in, Stephenson would have KO'd him cleanly if it had continued. What a wild finish, you rarely see 1 round finished in World Title fights.Ofolabi/Huck was good as well, not the classic we anticipated but there was some belting rounds in there. The fight was close but in Germany it's always gonna sway towards the home fighter. Anyone see Firat Arslan sitting at ringside, that guys a fucking badass, he looks like a movie badguy.I like having several big shows going on in one weekend, put em all together and watch em in one sitting, good shit.

• Paid Members

Just been watching the extras from Steve Austin's DVD set, and just watched Austin vs Michaels from WrestleMania 14 with Austin and Jim Ross doing alternate commentary.Anyway, on topic, at the start during Tyson's entrance they show Marvin Hagler sitting in the front row looking like he's having a great time. And JR goes something like - 'there's 'Marvelous' Marvin Hagler...I wonder if he even remembers being there.' Then Austin quickly changes the subject. Have I been whooshed there or is that a really shit brain damage joke? If it is, what a prick. For one - as far as I know Hagler is doing fine health wise and always looks and sounds great on the rare occasions he pops up on camera. And two - you'd think someone who went through Bell's Palsy and works in a business which has had direct issues with brain damage/concussions, wouldn't be so quick to poke fun at stuff like that. Yeah, I'm probably reading way too much into a throw-away comment but it just struck me as a bit of a cunty thing to say.

Just been watching the extras from Steve Austin's DVD set, and just watched Austin vs Michaels from WrestleMania 14 with Austin and Jim Ross doing alternate commentary.Anyway, on topic, at the start during Tyson's entrance they show Marvin Hagler sitting in the front row looking like he's having a great time. And JR goes something like - 'there's 'Marvelous' Marvin Hagler...I wonder if he even remembers being there.' Then Austin quickly changes the subject. Have I been whooshed there or is that a really shit brain damage joke? If it is, what a prick. For one - as far as I know Hagler is doing fine health wise and always looks and sounds great on the rare occasions he pops up on camera. And two - you'd think someone who went through Bell's Palsy and works in a business which has had direct issues with brain damage/concussions, wouldn't be so quick to poke fun at stuff like that. Yeah, I'm probably reading way too much into a throw-away comment but it just struck me as a bit of a cunty thing to say.

Nah, I don't think there's anything in that to be honest. JR isn't the type to take cheap shots.

• Paid Members

finally got around to watching The Real Rocky yesterday. Always knew the story of Chuck Wepner but it's a great little doc, inspired me to watch Rocky straight after it too. :thumbsup:

any other smaller boxing docs to recommend? ive built a pretty extensive collection but im always on the look out for more.

• Paid Members

You've probably seen these but;

Frank Bruno - Gloves Off

I think it's this one I'm thinking of, although there's another Bruno doc that was good as well but I forget the name. Anyway, this is worth a viewing. Covers his career, fame, his eventual world title win and his battle with depression post-retirement.

Arturo Gatti - 48 Hour Mystery

Obviously this is about Gatti's death and the investigation which resulted from it. Mickey Ward, Gatti's brother Joe and Gatti's wife (who many suspect murdered him) are among the talking heads. It's interesting viewing, although morbid to watch at times.

Roy Jones Jr - The Sweet Science

I believe this was filmed in the run up to Jones' move to heavyweight to challenge John Ruiz. I really enjoyed this. He'd started training with Mackie Shilstone (who'd previously worked with Riddick Bowe and Michael Spinks) and the documentary goes behind the scenes on Jones' training camp for Ruiz and captures how fucking awesome Jones was in his day.

Nigel Benn - My Childhood

This was on BBC Three a good few years ago. Benn sits down with a psychiatrist and goes into his past. It's mixed with footage of him revisiting his old neighbourhood and reuniting with childhood friends and teachers. They cover his boxing career but the main focal point is the death of his brother Andy who died when Benn was a kid. His death was surrounded in mystery and Benn even goes to the street where his brother died for the first time since it happened. The family had never been to the grave because it was too hard for them to deal with. And Benn talks about how he wanted to commit suicide at one point. It's not all doom and gloom, there's some cool bits in there like Benn reuniting with a guy he'd had a fight on at school and there's a positive ending to the doc in the end. Benn's parents come across as really likable as well.

It doesn't get talked about much, Benn-Eubank: Clash Of The Titans and Benn-McClellan: The Fight Of Their Lives understandably got more recognition, but it's well worth watching.

Lennox Lewis - The Undisputed Truth

I only saw this for the first time in the last year or so. It was filmed for the BBC in the build up to the rematch with

Holyfield and goes into the first fight in depth (and the controversial decision) and the training and build up to the second fight. I find Lewis a pretty intriguing guy anyway, so stuff like this I always find interesting. But the subject makes it even better, being such a big fight with the backstory of the first fight, the dodgy judging and Lennox's standoffish relationship with the press. It's a really good watch I think.

There's probably a shitload more I'm forgetting. The obvious ones like Thrilla in Manila, Assault In The Ring, Fight Of Their Lives etc have had enough bumming on here and I guess most will have seen them. But I'd definitely recommend the above if you haven't seen them.

On the subject of boxing documentaries, does anyone know if there's a good one on James Toney? I've just got hold of a bunch of Toney's fights, I'll put some posts up when u start watching them. For such an interesting character and considering how good he was in his prime, I'm surprised there aren't a bunch of in depth docs on him.

Sorry for the lack of links, but these are all probably easy to find on YouTube.

Edited by wandshogun09