Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I heard Ward wasn't giving Froch any credit during the fight and HBO spent a lot of time talking about Ward himself. Any truth?

Ward was basically calling the fight as he saw it, saying where he saw areas that Froch can be caught, and laying out a blueprint of sorts on how he beat Froch. He felt Froch was there to be hit, and that Kessler was catching him when was aggressive and coming forward.

He did say that he felt he had beaten both Froch & Kessler decisively though, which is true. Aside from that, the only real knock on Froch in my opinion was after Froch spoke to HBO post-fight, claiming that Ward was a boring fighter and doesn't really get the fans excited. Ward claimed that when you meet a style of fighter that you simply can't beat you are tempted to knock it and try to downplay it.

I don't think he was overly critical to be fair.

Fucking great fight that. It felt a lot closer than Watt was selling it as during the match, to me. I think that's the best I've seen Froch fight, and I've finally got over his holding his left so low which used to annoy me a lot.

Is it Ward again next then? They mentioned Bernard Hopkins, but that would mean Hopkins stepping down in weight again, is that right? The guy's nearly 50, that would wreck him.

Chances of Ward fighting Froch in the UK must be very, very low I'd imagine.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Ward didn't seem that interested in doing the fight over here. He did perk up when he mentioned Wembley but the general gist seemed to be that he'd rather do it in the US.

Really, Ward is the man to beat and he beat Froch comfortably last time, so Ward probably should get more say. The Sky crew were acting like Ward should come here for the rematch, like he owes Froch something, but he really doesn't. I'd love to see Froch avenge the loss but I can't see it, Ward is just a few steps ahead of everyone in the division.

You have to give it to Froch though, he really has fought all comers, doesn't duck anyone or fight safe and fights the toughest opponents out there more consistently than maybe anyone else in boxing.

Is it Ward again next then? They mentioned Bernard Hopkins, but that would mean Hopkins stepping down in weight again, is that right? The guy's nearly 50, that would wreck him.

Chances of Ward fighting Froch in the UK must be very, very low I'd imagine.

Ward either isn't all that interested, or he's playing hardball. On HBO after the Froch fight he commented that he'd beaten both guys, and didn't see any sense in coming to the UK to face Froch. He did say that he was interested in the "big fights" though, so he could be tempted.

Personally I don't see the fight going any different to the first if I'm honest. Ward is a level above both Froch & Kessler.

• Paid Members

yeh Ward didn't seem to interested afterwards and seemed a bit annoyed that people were insinuating that he should give Froch another shot. I'm not sure what other fights there are for Ward in the division, he's beaten everyone soundly.

The fight itself Saturday was fantastic, i feared it wouldn't live upto billing and with it being the first Box Office event since the Haye/Toe debacle i really hoped it would deliver, it did. Froch/Kessler are just made for each other, im pretty sure Froch has the ability to do what he did for the first 3 rounds for an entire fight but once he gets clipped his head goes and he can't help but get involved, that's why the boxing fans love him, tremendous stuff.

Boxing's been brilliant recently, the fights the last couple of months or so have been excellent, what a run...

Froch/Kessler II

Khan/Diaz

Alvarado/Rios II

Burns/Gonzalez

Mayweather/Guerrero (the fight didn't deliver but the build up did)

Matthyse/Peterson

Lebedev/Jones

i've probably missed a few, been a hell of a run.

• Paid Members

If i was Andre Ward i'd be hyping up a Froch rematch. Ward's lacking a fanbase,decent opposition and a exciting style.

Froch should keep away from Ward at all costs. Ward is superior but is always fucking horrific to watch. Last thing Froch needs with his new found popularity is a L in a grim fight. Would be the end for Froch then.

Not a lot of people talking about Steglitz. Holds the two other belts. Big unification fight. Beatable.

• Paid Members

Froch seems to be in that 'big fight' category now though, a bit like Calzaghe was post-Kessler. He went after the money fights to go out on, the difference here is Froch has the absolute best in the world above him that can be one of those fights. It's true Ward isn't the most popular, but it's building and you gotta feel that a rematch with Froch is probably the best thing for him at this point as well.

• Paid Members
Froch seems to be in that 'big fight' category now though, a bit like Calzaghe was post-Kessler. He went after the money fights to go out on, the difference here is Froch has the absolute best in the world above him that can be one of those fights. It's true Ward isn't the most popular, but it's building and you gotta feel that a rematch with Froch is probably the best thing for him at this point as well.

Oh yeah I'd go as far to say Ward needs Froch more than Froch needs Ward.

Froch/Kessler II

Khan/Diaz

Alvarado/Rios II

Burns/Gonzalez

Matthyse/Peterson

Lebedev/Jones

And none of them at heavyweight. Where have all the exciting heavyweights gone? A big question I know, but those are still the fights that most draw me in, as a casual fan.

Froch/Kessler II

Khan/Diaz

Alvarado/Rios II

Burns/Gonzalez

Matthyse/Peterson

Lebedev/Jones

And none of them at heavyweight. Where have all the exciting heavyweights gone? A big question I know, but those are still the fights that most draw me in, as a casual fan.

It's unfortunate that even a half-decent puncher at heavyweight gets closed out by one of the Drago twins. Once both of them retire the division won't get any better quality-wise, but it'll be more exciting as far as title switches and knock outs go.

• Paid Members

the fights at 152lb.

Outside of the long delayed Mayweather/Pacquiao fight... actually scratch that, this might be the biggest fight in boxing right now. Can't wait.

• Paid Members

Great news about Floyd vs Canelo. Can't wait for that. I thought they might try and hold off on that until next May around the big Mexican holiday weekend so this is a nice surprise. With how awesome Floyd's still looking, I'm expecting him to win this.

I agree on the heavyweight point as well. The division is in the toilet as far as quality depth and excitement goes, and not really showing much hope of improving. It's sad. We got the odd fun fight like Haye vs Chisora but I'm struggling to even think when the last really great heavyweight fight was.