Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Lovemore N'Dou (the lethargic one who Gavin Rees managed to beat easily)

Not to be an areshole who keeps nit picking your posts, but that was Souleymane M'baye who Gavin Rees beat.I agree with you about the crapness of the Hatton card, especially Hattons match. I've seen full page adverts in the paper and they don't even mention the opponents name, as he is just that, an opponent for a superstar to hammer. If you run a stadium show, you should have an opponent who merits a stadium. Joe Calzaghe did. Junior Witter is the obvious choice, but Hatton seems intent to duck him until he retires, with some bullshit about him not being a super star name. Well there are no super stars at 140 anymore, there were 2 years ago, when Miguel Cotto, Floyd Mayweather, Antonio Margarito and so on passed through the division and he took fights with Carlos Maussa and Juan Urango. But they've moved up and Hatton has proved he cannot hack it any higher than 140.I think Rees loses his title. I've seen the other guy once, fighting a much more motivated M'baye to a draw. He has a much more impressive record than Rees (it'd be hard not to). Then again the fight is in Wales so he better get a knockout. Why was Froch/Inkin postponed?
I knew as I was typing it I was wrong. Dammit to hell! N'Dou is the one who lost to Cotto & Witter a few years back but also to Malinaggi about a year ago. As for the Froch fight, Inkin had a virus and so was rescheduled for 10 May. ITV however still kept the rights and will still be showing it. Also the John Murray undercard fight is also still on the rearranged card.The weekend before that Alex Arthur is going to take on Joan Guzman. Do you give Arthur a chance? He was in the fight of '07 IMHO against Steve Foster and I think came very close to losing the title on the night. I just think Guzman will be too good for him. Edited by rubbafish

Okay there be spilers in this post for anyone waiting for dvd's or website showings of this weekends fights. Stop reading now if that's the case.Gavin Rees lost his WBA light welterweight title by Ko in the twelth. A blind man could have seen that coming.Micheal Katsidis was knocked out in the 10th in his challege for Joel Casamayors lightweight championship. This one suprised me, Katsidis is young and tough as nails and Casamayor is old and has been looking very close to shot for a while now. So instead of the potential unified titilist Juan Diaz vs Linear champ Micheal katsidis match I'd been praying to the stars for, there's now the potential for unified champ Nate Cambell vs linear champ Casamayor. That might be pretty good come to think of it.

• Paid Members

i just saw a pretty good documentary about the great Julio Caesar Chavez, entitled 'J.C. Chavez'...Chavez was abit before my time in terms of being a boxing fan so it was an interesting watch for me, it's abit brief and doesn't go into great detail about certain things but it's still a must-watch for any boxing fan. Some very interesting behind the scenes stuff, and a heartbreaking and very personal sequence involving Chavez' last fight.worth checking out.(i can hook anyone with a copy if they're having trouble finding it).

• Paid Members

just saw the Katsidis/Casamayor fight, that was a wild one!Casamayor started brilliantly dropping Katsidis twice in the opening seconds then dominating the 2nd round...after that Katsidis piled on the pressure and started to win the fight, dropping Casamayor in the 6th. Then come the 10th, Katsidis comes out like a wildman and gets twatted with a huge left.It was a crazy (and must be noted, dirty) fight...Katsidis was on his way to victory and if he'd calmed down probably would have won, but that's not his style, he just keeps swinging.and as for the Gavin Rees fight...spirited performance but it was all gonna catch up on him, he's got heart and that's about it...i dread to think what Amir Khan would do to him.

• Paid Members

Interesting gimmick coming up on Sky on April 11:

Barry Hearn is staging a revolutionary heavyweight tournament he believes will change the face of boxing.The Matchroom supremo is the brains behind Prizefighter - The Heavyweights, which will be screened live on Sky Sports from the famous York Hall, in April.The competition will feature eight heavyweights in a knockout tournament with the bouts scheduled for three three-minute rounds.The winners of the initial four fights will progress into the semi-finals with the final two then battling it out for the winner's prize of

Got Holyfields book on advance copy a few weeks ago and been working my way through it. This guy was one of my hero's growing up and someone a lot of people i am close to always pointed towards as a good role model to look up to when i was young. One of the best sport autobiographies i've in a while and definitely worth a look. Up there with the Walter Payton and Brian Clough books for me.

• Paid Members

yeh i'll be getting the Holyfield book, i got abit of a backlog of boxing books to read though (and a shit load of others)...i think Holyfield's will be next though...i really wanna get Roberto Duran's too.what boxing books have you read???only biog's i've done so far have been Bruno's & Hatton's.

Michael Watsons book is highly recommended.

Yep Watsons is good.I've read Hands Of Stone (Roberto Duran) and would recommend that. That goes beyond poverty when you hear the upbringing he had and what he went onto achieve it's very humbling. There is also a book called 'Facing Ali' which is the author tracking down and getting retrospective account of about 14 of his opponents on the whole psyche and experience of facing the great man with a chapter dedicated to each fighter ranging from Frazier and Holmes to relative nobodies. There is a similar book which is imaginatively called 'Facing Tyson' which steals the idea blindly but doesn't really hit the same levels as they didn't get the same level of content although it is quite funny for the Pete McNeeley chapter when his manager expects him to be paid handsomely for giving up his time and the author basically says no and the chapter is done in about a page and a half.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

anyone gonna check out Prize Fighter on sky tonight??8 man, 1 night heavyweight tournament...it's promoted by Barry Hearn who's admitted he's trying to take a leaf out the UFC's book.it's gonna be pretty interesting, i'll be tuning in :thumbsup:

anyone gonna check out Prize Fighter on sky tonight??8 man, 1 night heavyweight tournament...it's promoted by Barry Hearn who's admitted he's trying to take a leaf out the UFC's book.it's gonna be pretty interesting, i'll be tuning in :thumbsup:

Yes, and interestingly coincidental timing with UFC founder Bob Meyrowitz bringing back the one night eight man tournament gimmick in the US today with the debut of the new YAMMA Pitfighting show.