Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

He's right really, if he retired tomorrow he'd go out as the undefeated pound for pound king. His place in Boxing history is set.

But I think in years to come when both he and Pacquiao are long retired people will remember them as great but there will always be that question of 'what if?'. And that's where I think they'll look back with some regret. Its a fight neither probably feels is worth the risk right now but if it never happens I think their legacies will slightly suffer in the long run.

Whether people liked Ali and Leonard or hated them, it's hard not to admire them for fighting pretty much all the biggest challengers out there. This will be looked back on, right or wrong, as two great fighters avoiding each other.

Agreed with the above about their legacy.

If Pac Man beats Bradley in a rematch in November it could happen. I can see Floyd taking on Khan when he gets out of jail, provided he gets past Garcia. Leaving Arum would be a massive roadblock out the way.

I will say though HBO do a better job than Boxnation, the production values and hype was excellent last night. I am not much of a night owl, but I never felt like falling asleep even at 5.30am.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

That was another odd thing with last night's fight - the poster Bradley had for a rematch. He said it was his idea but Arum chose the November date to put on it.

All very strange to start hyping a rematch before you even have the first fight.

Yeah despite not always agreeing with the commentary I like the HBO broadcasts. Primetime had Bunce though which I missed, would love to have seen his post fight rant at the decision.

Edited by wandshogun09

Yes it is all a bit fishy, the constant talk of a rematch before the first fight happened as well, it was well known that if Bradley won no matter what there would be a rematch. Coupled with the lack o decent oppenents for Pac in addition to the judges scoring, If I was more of a conspiracy theorist I would be calling foul play and corruption.

As for Buncey, he scored it 8-4 to Pac according to his Twitter.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Snoop Dogg wasn't happy with the Pacman/Bradley decision

Ain't that sum bullshit. Boxing is a wrap. Going back on that ultimate fighting.

1_10_01_11_4_38_46.gif

MMA is just as bad with wonky scoring though to be honest.

edit - anyone else really get the urge to smack Dana with a breeze block in that gif?

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

only just got around to watching, i'd managed to avoid the result until tonight.

WOW!

i had my little scoring pad out and i had it 115-113 for Pacquiao, the HBO commentary was leading me down a Pacman path but i tried to stay impartial. Even though my score was much tighter than the HBO team i really thought the actual decision would be wide for Pacquiao, i felt some of the rounds i gave Bradley would goto the Pacquiao because they were very close.

As for the actual fight, the telling thing was that after around round 5 Pacquiao's left hand stopped doing damage, the HBO people were banging on about it all night being dangerous but it wasn't actually doing that much damage. I think the judges basically gave Bradley rounds off the fact that for the first 2 minutes of many rounds Pacquiao simply allowed Bradley to dictate the pace, Pacquiao would always come on strong for the last minute but i guess they gave Bradley the rounds based on the fact that he won 2 mins of lots of the rounds.

My jaw dropped when they read out that decision though.

• Paid Members

Yeah that's my thinking. I had Pacquiao winning but the HBO announcers were cheerleading Pac bigtime and I honestly think it sways people to thinking it's even worse than it was. I had it 8-4, maybe 9-3 for Manny so to me it was a robbery but it does need mentioning that the commentators were very one sided even when Bradley was having good spells.

We were on about Julian Jackson a few pages back, I just stumbled across this highlight of his knockouts

Julian Jackson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99dWjuzLqFs

He was a fucking animal in his day. The fucker had anvils on the end of his arms.

And while I'm here, highlights of my 4 all time favourite boxers

Roberto 'Hands Of Stone' Duran

'Marvelous' Marvin Hagler

Arturo Gatti 'Thunderstruck'

Nigel Benn smacking bitches up

Fucking love them.

Edited by wandshogun09

A really nice piece on the late, great Teofilo Stevenson.

In the iconography of post-revolutionary Cuba, one athlete stands above many others alongside Fidel Castro and Che Guevara. When the greatest heavyweight in the history of amateur boxing, Te

• Paid Members
Yeah that's my thinking. I had Pacquiao winning but the HBO announcers were cheerleading Pac bigtime and I honestly think it sways people to thinking it's even worse than it was. I had it 8-4, maybe 9-3 for Manny so to me it was a robbery but it does need mentioning that the commentators were very one sided even when Bradley was having good spells.

yeh we've talked about the commentary swaying opinion a lot recently in here. Has anyone seen the Primetime feed of this?

I just sensed all the way through that Manny wasn't doing enough in certain rounds, the HBO team were banging on about it being one of the great Manny performances and there were spells where he looked amazing, but there were large spells where he just followed Bradley around eating jabs. Bradley's counterpunching game didn't really start becoming effective until the end of the fight, i wonder how much the ankle injury hampered his performance.

I still had Manny winning though, mainly on damaging punches, it seemed like Bradley would have a decent spell but Manny would nulify it by returning with more damaging punches.

The debate will roll on.

Chavez Jr takes on Andy Lee on saturday, live on boxnation.

Who you got? I really like Andy Lee but I think he'll fall just short. I see Chavez nicking a decision.

Anyone see Mcewan - Lee? Mcewan was doing well, winning most of the fight until Lee's come from behind KO. I'd love it if Craig Mcewan was to challenge the likes of Barker, Murray and Macklin. I think he'd be ina good chance of beating Murray and Macklin.

• Paid Members

I'd like to see Lee win it but I'd favour Chavez on points myself aswell.

Saul Alverez V Victor Ortiz in September

Can't fucking wait for that.

This is gonna be a good one. Pulling for Alvarez.