Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Apparently former WBO LH Champ Julio Cesar Gonzalez has been killed today by a drunk driver.

Where is that being reported? I haven't seen or heard anything on that?

Wayne McCullough tweeted saying it, and it has since been confirmed sadly (Link).

He was riding his motorbike home and got hit head on by a driver who was said to be drunk.

• Paid Members

That's really shitty news about Gonzalez. I didn't see too many of his fights but it's still a bit of a shock. Such a shame, I hope they find the drunk driver.

Thanks for posting thst list nfc90210, really interesting to read. People don't really think of the Kilitschko's when they think of KOs. To see them above Tyson, and especially so far above the likes of Liston and Dempsey will probably surprise some people. Then again a lot of the Klitschko's competition weren't exactly top notch in the last few years.

For anyone who missed Salido vs Lopez 2, here's both fights

First fight (16th Apr 2011)

Pt 1 -

Rematch (10th Mar 2012)

Pt 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWu2eAJd6Eo

Both tremendous fights.

• Paid Members

Anyone catch Marco Antonio Barrera on Ringside? He's not a fan of Amir Khan. He was saying how Khan couldn't punch and stuff and fought dirty with the headbutt and then they showed a pretaped clip from Khan being all nice about Barrera. Awkward. Barrera can be a bitter sod but he's still one of my favourite boxers ever. Just below Benn, Duran, Gatti and Hagler for me.

The complaining isn't something I like but it's the case with most top boxers to not admit defeat or their own shortcomings, especially at the tail end of a career. He's done more than enough in his career to be happy.

For anyone who missed it here's the bit on Khan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWTojQxZJ1w

Barrera on Morales trilogy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FO9ypLfvp8

Barrera on UK Tour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl6rfXlEYHA

I fucking loved the Morales fights, I wish they did a best of 7.

Speaking of boxing legends coming to the UK, Sugar Ray Leonard is gonna be on the Jonathan Ross show this week aswell.

• Paid Members

just saw Salido/Lopez II, wild fight. Can't believe they had Lopez ahead! i gave him round 4 and the one where he scored the knockdown, other than that it was all Salido. I actually thought Lopez was looking the stronger man in that insane 9th round but that 3 punch combo at the start of the 10th just ruined Lopez.

Crazy fight.

• Paid Members

Anyone watch the Brook vs Hatton and Martinez vs Macklin fights last night?

Thought Brook looked good. Hatton was never really in it, he's a tough bastard but he was clearly outclassed last night I thought.

Martinez/Macklin wasn't as good as I hoped to be honest. Good last couple of rounds though once Martinez turned up the aggression. Slow first few rounds and I've seen people knocking Martinez for the performance but he did what was needed in the end and got the corner stoppage. Didn't agree with the knockdown in the 7th, Macklin was having a good little spell but Martinez looked off balance more than anything and his glove touched the canvas. Calling that a knockdown is a little bit harsh imo but it didn't matter in the end anyway.

Both fights went exactly as i thought they would. I knew Hatton would never be in the Brook fight. Brook has to step up in class for his next fight, i have a feeling though that he may have a couple more fights in that arena against lower class opposition and make a few quid from ticket sales and sky. I think he looks ready for a Berto or Ortiz.

I thought Macklin put up a good fight but thought Martinez would stop him late. Even when Macklin had his good little spell it looked as though Martinez could go up anther gear or two. I'm not sure where Martinez goes from here, the middleweight division is lacking credible challengers for him. Chavez would be a huge money match, but i can't see Chavez fighting him. Maybe once Alverez takes care of Mosely he could try and fight him at some sort of catchweight, but again i don't think they Golden Boy would match Alverez against Martinez yet.

I would love to see Martinez versus Floyd or Pac. I think Martinez would give Floyd more trouble than Pac would, it would be a really interesting match. Martinez would be to big and strong for Pac i believe. If Martinez does get to fight either of these two, i imagine it would be at a catchweight of some sort,.

• Paid Members

Anyone ever see the Vinny Pazienza vs Roger Mayweather fight from 1988?

Here's the highlights of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Zn9KbWjeo

I'd never seen it before until last night. Holy fuck, what a wild fight. The action itself was really good, it was pretty much non-stop, fast paced and both guys landed some good stuff. But the real story of the fight is all the crazy shit going on. It starts very early in the fight when Paz keeps following Roger to his corner at the end of the rounds and it quickly escalates from there. At the end of one round Roger has enough and shoves Paz in the face and from then on there's all sorts happening from hitting after the bell, deliberate low blows, taunting, a late knockdown, the lot. And of course it wouldn't be a crazy fight without a post fight Lou Duva outburst and in ring brawl. Duva goes fucking mental here.

It wasn't really a surprise how things got so heated given the characters of both guys but it's still rare you see a fight this chaotic. I know the Mayweathers aren't exactly the most loved people about but I've gotta say it was Paz instigating a lot of the trouble in the fight in my opinion.

Aside from all the bullshit, I thought it was a cracking fight. All the drama and stuff is unprofessional no doubt, but it definitely added to the excitement. I loved the whole thing myself.

Agree with Matt Skelton Ebb, always liked him also.

He more often than not comes across well and sounds like a decent person and I think the fact he took the sport up so late in life he can be pretty proud of the career he's had.

That fight with Dallas was an embarassment, being hammerblowed whilst lying almost horizontally across the ropes? never seen anything like that. Terrible fight, I think since he got a gift decision against t5hat journeyman Zack Page, and got KTFO by Price, I think his heart just isnt really in it. They could try build his confidence and go for it again, but as far as I can tell this guys another Scott Belshaw.

Enzo Mac is taking on Shan Mcphilibin tonight on Boxnation for the British cruiser title. Its plain to see there trying to bag Enzo a title before he moves down to fight Cleverly. Havent seen Shane, but apparently hes fucking shite and was lucky to pick up the title in the first place. WAR ENZO!

• Paid Members

Yeah I'll be tuning in for Enzo.

Another nice weekend of boxing on Sky aswell. Fight Night at 8pm with the Buckland vs Truscott fight and then later on the Erik Morales vs Danny Garcia fight is on at 12.45am.

Just read that Juan Manuel Marquez vs Brandon Rios could be in the works for July if they both win their fights on April 14th now aswell. Nice. I was disappointed when the Rios/Gamboa fight was called off but this will do nicely if it ends up happening. I'll be rooting for Marquez, Rios comes off as a bit of a tosser to me.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Bastard! I somehow cocked up and thought the Enzo fight was on tonight, even after reading HeavyT's post saying it was gonna be on yesterday. I'm a twat. Just saw the result now :angry:

Sounds like a right balls up, the bell rang to end the first round almost a minute early. What the fuck? And the early end to the round came after Enzo got knocked down so it makes it look fishy, especially as Enzo ended up winning on points. What a farce.

I'm still gonna give this a watch at some point later.